HTC Hero Bluetooth profiles in detail

by Hero on July 26, 2009

in Accessories,News

BluetoothIf you are one of those lucky few that have already got hands-on with the HTC Hero and are wondering exactly what car kit will work with the handset then you’re in luck. Android Community managed to get hold of a list of Bluetooth profiles that are compatible with the smartphone.

The Hero supports all the usual headset and hands-free profiles like A2DP/AVRCP but lacks any support for OBEX Remote SIM Access. Check out the detailed profile list after the jump.

HTC Hero Bluetooth profiles

Feel free to discuss this news in our forum.

1 Ian Humby August 3, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Great phone, but one major drawback for me – the Bluetooth will not stay on constantly, so every time I leave the car it disconnects but I have to manually return to settings are make the device discoverable each time I get back in.
This always on feature was on the Diamond and its a great shame that the newer model does not have the same feature.

2 Richard August 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I have the same issue, Mercedes Benz Comand system, worked flawlessly with my Sony Ericsson but I have to go into the phones settings and make it discoverable every time I get in the car.

I’m hoping someone makes an application that will sit in a scene so one click will make the device discoverable.

Other than that its an awesome phone.

3 Calum Mackay August 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM

The alternative would be for the Hero to support the concept of “authorised devices”, like e.g. Nokia. My bluetooth headset says it will auto-connect, without requiring a re-pairing/discoverable, as long as the phone has been told to treat that paired headset as trusted/authorised.

Every other BT system I’ve used (PCs, phones, etc) has this concept, but the Hero seems not to; unless I’m missing it. That’s why we have to make it discoverable, instead.

4 Calum Mackay August 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM

The alternative to making the phone discoverable, which is less than ideal from a security perspective perhaps, is to initiate the connection from the phone, not from the headset.

My headset, at least, is discoverable when turned on, as well as searching for a discoverable phone. If I initiate connection to the headset *from* the phone, without making the phone discoverable, it connects fine.

Since this is on the same menu as discoverable, it would seem no harder, and slightly safer, if your headset works this way.

5 Neil August 22, 2009 at 9:25 PM

my htc hero bluetooth is faukty. i make it discoverable but other phones cant detect it and my mates n97 cant send stuff to it either. the handset is being swapped. other than that a great phone!

6 David Juster September 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I have upgrade to G2….wow what a phone….but hold on…it doesnt support bluetooth apart from a headset….so I am led to believe by technical at T-mobile. I wanted to transfer detail from my Nokia N95 but I am tearing my hair out. Over 300 name in my contacts book and no obvious way of transfering them now.

7 Joe September 24, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Wait a sec….if the Hero doesn’t support the phonebook access profile (PBAP) or the object push profile (OPP), how does one get your contact list or phone book into any bluetooth units in one’s car???

8 steve October 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM

my htc hero bluetooth is rubbish I wanted to transfer deter but it doesnt support bluetooth apart from a headset mates cant send stuff to it either HTC sort it out.!!!

9 Ben October 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

This gets a massive WTF from me. This phone has fully-functioning HSDPA, wi-fi and GPS, and yet bluetooth file transfer, which has been available and worked fine on my last three or four phones, isn’t available? Shame on you HTC! I’ve had to spend 3 hours manually transferring all my phone contacts.

I can’t believe NONE of the mountains of reviews I read about the Hero picked up on this.

10 jo griffin October 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Don’t know how I’m managing it, but my hero is picked us automatically whenever I enter my car. I use a super tooth voice, which I got from the carphone warehouse ages ago! So it is possible guys.

11 peter tuck November 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM

hi i have the new htc hero and im haveing seriouse issues withy bluetooth problems i cant send anything to the fone its a joke htc need to send me help option or i will b sending the fone back to them im apauld the fact its one of the most state of the art fones available yet you carnt send a single bluetooth file what a joke very unhappy with my purchess at this point if u can help please feel free to ee mail me

12 Chris November 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Peter…. BT file transfers could be included soon in a Modaco ROM, or Android2.0 will have made some progress here.
But sending your phone back to HTC seems a bit extreme, it’s just one missing feature (and not even a good feature, it’s been years since I had to resort to bluetoothing a file) and there’s plenty of other features that other phones can’t match.

Such as the spellchecker.

13 Chris November 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM

For the rest of you struggling to input contacts…. just Nuevasync from your old phone to your Google account, and then your Hero will have your contacts in automatically. Nuevasync is compatible with ‘most’ phones – I’ve used it on WinMo, Symbian S60 and even an old SonyEricsson W850 – and in this day and age you really don’t want to rely on just one copy of your contacts on your easily-lost-or-damaged phone.

Hero Bluetooth does support autoconnection, my Sony headphones pair up automatically as soon as I turn them on and media sound comes through immediately.

14 Brassman November 19, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Connection issues.

Have tried both ways. Bluetooth discovers and pairs phone from PC and PC from phone. They just won’t connect! Not impressed. I find the G2 is prone to hanging it’s great for Apps but crap as a phone which is the bare minimum really!

15 Jesper November 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Hi. I´ve got the Hero with android2.0. My Parrot headset pairs automatically to the phone, no problems. But I can´t send and reseive photos via BT…

16 mark November 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM

jesper, how have you got hero with android 2.0? I dont think its available on hero yet because they need to work on the sense ui for it. If you do have it and it did not come from htc or t-mobile or orange etc then it is probably not the finished version so BT might not work fully on it.

17 mark November 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Also use the app called bump for sending pics. Works well

18 frank November 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM

how do you send pictures and music and other thing on bluetooth on the g2 touch ?

19 Steve November 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I also have the same problem in not being able to automatically connect my HTC Hero to the bluetooth in my BMW. It takes a minimum of SEVEN keystrokes to make the phone discoverable in order to reconnect to my car. Not only is this unnacceptable since all my previous phones (Nokia, Sony , Samsung and Blackberry) do not have this problem but also think this could be a major safety issue because by the time someone realises the Hero has not automatically reconnected they could have already driven off – I wonder how many people will then try to reconnect their phone whilst driving??? If an accident is caused when the driver is distracted from fiddling about with the phone I wonder if there could be some nasty litigation flying around towards HTC’? Does anyone know if Android 2.0 fixes this problem?

20 Rodney December 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM

HTC hero from Cell South won’t connect to other phones using bluetooth. We want to send to and receive files from other phones. Make it happen HTC!

21 Phil Overin December 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I just purchased the Hero HTC and it’s great. Also I just bought a Mazada 3 that has built in bluetooth. Well wouldn’t you know it it does not work with my Hero. I managed to pair them once but as soon as tried to dial out every thing froze. Also when the car was re-started the HERO and the phone did not connect anymore. So disappointed!!! Things I have done to try and fix was to remove phone battery, delete the pairing in the car software. Now I cannot even pair up. So I am stuck to buying some 3rd party add-on. Anybody out there no of any fixes coming in the next few months or any ideas how I might resolve this issue. I can’t be the only one!!

22 john December 17, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Got a cheap Bluetooth hands free from Tesco that plugs into my cigarette lighter works fine with my hero auto connects every time!

23 Lukegiger December 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM

my bluetooth cant connect to any phones i try to recive songs/picutres from

any help?

24 suzanne December 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I can’t work out how to send stuff to and from my hero through Bluetooth. It’s driving me insane!!!
Is there any information you can give to help me. Email me ASAP please!!!

25 Alan December 27, 2009 at 12:41 AM

once again for people with android phone systems at this time you are not able to bluetooth to another phone,also others seem to be having problems with car hands free systems:) hopefully HTC will address these problems very soon as at the moment these issues are spoiling a great handset..in the mean time easiest way i think is to send things you want to transfer to a computer then connect via usb and transfer to phone….maybe someone from HTC looks in here and can add to the info:)

26 Jez Haworth January 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

State of the art i-pod rival without bluetooth car kit connectivity, unbeleivable!!!!
Shurely someone at HTC or T-Mobile will come up with a software update.To comment on the above messages, you can find other ways of transferring files, but if I cannot have safe conversations in my car then regrettably have to return phone.

27 jon February 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I have a hero on 3 mobile, I am unable to pair it with anything! Keeps saying paired but not connected. I have tried to connect to I phones, sony and even a t-mobile hero with no success! My main annoyance is that it won’t connect to the Bluetooth in my car – factory fitted Nissan 350z… anyone any suggestions on what you do when it keeps saying paired but not connected?

28 Forrest February 3, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Recently got a Hero and am disappointed in that it won’t transfer Works files. It did transfer Word files. I got the phone mainly for use with my business. I like all the other apps. But seriously dismayed with file transfer.

29 Raymon February 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I phoned HTC support about the bluetooth problem and was told that i could download a third party app from the ‘Market’ and that should allow me to transfer data. I was able to get a specific app name from them as they do not support or advocate using third party applications on their phone. will keep you posted if this works for me.

30 Folasade February 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

My bluetooth cannot connect to any phone i try to receive songs or picutres from phones and mine memory card is alwayz asking me to format mine memory card everytime. For example if i format it today and put stuff in it thru the usb cable from ma laptop like two or thre weeks it ask me to format again that my SD Card has a problem. Pls i need help.

31 Yuri February 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Medieval Bluetooth OBEX File Transfer 1.1.0.0 (BlueFTP) – give it a try, it must be on Android Market

32 emma March 14, 2010 at 7:20 PM

i use medieval bluetooth file transfer on my t-mobile g2 touch… available from ‘market’ the symbol looks like a green/orange castle with a white m in the middle. x

33 Janet March 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Got a HTC Hero from t-mobile (G2 Touch) of Monday and having real problems with bluetooth :(
I drive a Land Rover Discovery with build in bluetooth honds free car kit. I was disappointed to discover that after pair the phone with the car, they would not connect. My whole family’s phone and my old phone worked perfectly with my car. Get in the car and they automatically connect :) so thats sony ericsson, nokia, blackberry & samsung. I am having the same problemswith bluetooth as most of the posters above.
Does anyone know if there is a software update to support working with car kits? :(

34 julie March 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I have a 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan with hands free and nav. Phone pairs but then drops calls constantly. I had HTC Touch Pro before. Hated the phone but worked great with Bluetooth it never dropped calls. VERY FRUSTRATED.

35 Marek March 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM

All these bluetooth issues should be resolved by the Android 2.1 upgrade which is due, apparently, very soon.

36 grant April 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM

This is massivley frustrating top of the range 21st century HTC Hero, phone and it does not transfer data via BT but wait i was advised by my HTC provider to use my USB cable to transfer yes we all carry one of them around when we are out and about HTC need to get a grip on this issue surley they read these blogs and whilst they mass produce and make the money there is no anitation on the instructions it does not transfer data! nor does what i would expect on point of sale advise you on this

37 Azy May 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Just got a HTC Desire as my Hero never worked with my Freelander 2 (LR2) despite the Landrover website claiming it will. Desire has the same issues, connects to car okay but keeps disconnecting.
Landrover now tells me they have a software update which might help but it will cost me about £150. BTW my old N95 worked okay but I’ve heard iPhones have problems. Anyone got any ideas?

38 Masood Faruki June 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Hi Guys,

Got HTC Hero a month back, tried to. connect it with Bluetooth to my friends N97 in vain. I’m able to pair it. But its not connecting hence transfer of files is not possible.

Any suggestion? Please update me.

39 Shuja June 14, 2010 at 6:19 AM

My T-Mobile G2 Touch cannot be detected by either XP or windows 7 nor there is any site which allows us to download PC Suit software for the same. The mobile bluetooth cannot pair with any type of mobile of samsung , nokia,LG, sony errickson or chiny models. Its either the most difficult or the most worst mobile i can think off so is there anyone who can help me get the software to perform the above operations on my mobile

40 scoop June 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Can’t transfer or receive files on my Hero. A phone that can almost make you a drink but can’t do a simple thing like Bluetooth lol. HTC FAIL.

41 Gabriel July 29, 2010 at 9:31 AM

very fustrating!!! The BT thing with Hero.

42 Morten August 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

PLEASE REPORT PROBLEM TO HTC.
I have problems with HTC Hero with 2.1. It cannot connect to my Pioneer incar system.
I have had contact to HTC, but they won’t do anything about the BT problem before they have more cases. So PLEASE report you problems to HTC

43 Roberto O. Millán November 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

David Juster:
Connect the Nokia to the computer via USB, and later (or at the same time) connect the G2 to the computer, and swap files.
Yes, it’s a hell of a bummer that they don’t allow BT file transfer(and I don’t think it’s an HTC thing, it’s a Google/Android thing)…AT LEAST, they are NOW allowing WiFi calling & tethering (tethering for a possible additional $14.99 charge). Only on s/w update to Build Number 1.22.531.8 CL277427 On T-Mobile. (NOT an OS upgrade!!!)
Source:
forums(dot)t-mobile(dot)com(slash)t5(slash)T-Mobile-G2(slash)G2-Software-Update(slash)td-p(slash)531373
For step-by-step instructions on how to manually add the s/w update.
go to:
androidandme(dot)com(slash)2010(slash)11(slash)news(slash)how-to-manually-install-the-new-ota-update-for-your-t-mobile-g2(slash)

Take care!

44 stace November 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

my Bluetooth ain’t working it pairs up with Bluetooth on other handsets but it won’t connect and aloue it to send or receive photos/music or even videos from other people so ave lost a lot of my ringtones/ videos n photos of my family which a won’t ever get back. A was told when a purchased the phone on contract that it included Bluetooth and when a rang up and asked why it wasn’t working a got a response saying it will be working by March/April 2009 and a purchased the phone in January 2009 and to this day its still not working. I am so angry and annoyed with T-mobile but more so with HTC for falsely advertising on the box that it has Bluetooth when it clearly does not work. A will never purchase another HTC phone when it comes to is renewing my contract and phone in January. HTC you might be an American company but yous are absolute shite.

45 John Harris December 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM

My Cellular South HTC Hero also has bluetooth issues. I have successfully connected to my Garmin Nuvi a few times, but the majority of the time I get “connection to phone failed” when the GPS tries to connect. I recently purchased a Kia Sorento with builtin bluetooth and I have managed to successfully connect the Hero to it exactly once. It pairs okay, but will not connect.

I’m going to Cellular South today to see if they can help with this. What is the use in including bluetooth with the phone if it won’t work properly?

46 Ashwini December 10, 2010 at 10:33 AM

From where did you get this list? I am searching for the same long time. Thanks for this. I need to know about other phones also.