Guide to disabling TouchFlo (HTC Sense) to improve performance

by Hero on August 8, 2009

in Tips & Tricks, Video

HTC Hero TouchFloOne of the biggest criticisms that the HTC Hero has received in reviews is its “laggy” user interface. HTC put its own touches to the Android UI and dubbed the finished result ‘HTC Sense’. Whilst many agree it is a vast improvement to vanilla Android, it can also be a resource hog. This means that disabling TouchFlo can improve the performance of your handset (that’s if you don’t need all the bells and whistles).

Rob Ferrer posted a good guide on his blog on how you go about disabling this, to get just a vanilla version of Android on your homescreen. Remember, though you do end up losing HTC widgets if you do this. However, it’s worth a try and you can always easily switch it back.

Click through for the instructions on how to do this along with a video from YouTube user ljcaseykc, who demonstrates the Hero running without TouchFlo. Well worth a watch.

To switch homescreens:

From the Homescreen press [Menu] and select [Settings]
Select [Applications]->[Manage Applications] (this may take some time to load)
Scroll down and select [TouchFlo]
Once the application info loads, scroll down and tap the [Clear Defaults] button. You may also want to tap [Force Stop] to ensure it closes.
Press the home key and you will be given the option of using [Home] or [TouchFlo]. You should select [Use by Default...] if you want to fully make the change, or just tap [Home] if you want to try it out first.
There you go, a standard Android homescreen.

If you want to switch back, the process is very similar, except you select the [Home] app at stage 3 instead.

HTC Hero / G2 Touch with no TouchFlo running (vanilla Android)

1 Petri Teittinen August 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM

This might (or might not) have some bearing on the issue, but on my Hero I can freely switch between Home and TouchFLO by keeping the hardware Home button pressed down for a few seconds. The pop-up you described appears, with the Use by Default… tick box. I haven’t been to Manage Applications to Clear Defaults at all.

2 Rob Ferrer August 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for the link. Hope it can help someone. I’d love to hear if anyone thinks it makes a huge difference (as I am staying with TouchFlo for now).

3 ole August 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Rob Ferrer, why dont just try for youself?

I tried it, but prefer the Sense UI, simple because of the HTC widgets and because Im not experiencing any lag, as long as I dont have many program open at once.

And Im only using 3 of the 7 homescreens.

4 yauhui September 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I’m using the HTC Hero, and I have all seven home screens decked out with widgets (to the point that hitting the “+” button would present me with a “maximum number of widgets” message) and there is minimal, if not zero lag.

All the reviews out there overexaggerate the lag although there is barely none at all.

5 zburli October 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Hi! How can I go back to TouchFlo? I disabled it just to make a try but I also have choosen Home as defalut! My mistake. I cannot go back to TouchFlo now. Thanks!

6 zburli October 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM

Problem solved, for people interested in going back to TouchFlo after previous selection of Home screen as default:
[Settings] > [Applications] > [Manage Applications] > [Home] > [clear defaults] and you’ll have again two options Home and TouchFlo, tick the one you prefer as default and you’re done! :)

7 siofwolves December 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Thanks zburli.

[Settings] > [Applications] > [Manage Applications] > [TouchFLO] > [clear defaults]
Was greyed out, selecting it wasn’t an option.

[Settings] > [Applications] > [Manage Applications] > [Home] > [clear defaults]
Works great though. Was getting worried then…

HTC Hero. T-Mobile. UK.

8 Frederik December 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM

If Home doesn’t appear in [Settings] > [Applications] > [Manage Applications] try changing the language to English if it isn’t already. I couldn’t find the Home entry with Danish selected and after changing the language to English I found it.

It may just be me that’s too blind to actually spot it, or it might not.

9 ruben September 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I´ve the newest version of htc that means htc sense on my htc hero

But i want to have the home screen , because my touchscreen is broken.
When i ve the homescreen i will be able to do several things with the track ball

so pleas help me !!!
ps : I ve tried the things above it does not help !!!