Sprint’s HTC Hero to get plastic surgery, missing chin?

by Hero on September 1, 2009

in News

Sprint’s HTC Hero?All of the rumours we’ve seen so far, point to a Sprint (CDMA) release for the HTC Hero handset in the US. Whilst some (minor) modifications may have been expected, we’re completely surprised from news coming out of 8080.net this morning.

The website claims that the CDMA version of the HTC Hero will get a complete physical makeover and lose its distinctive chin in the process. It claims that this is the same phone (Hero200) that the FCC just recently approved for CDMA bands.

We’ve attached a load of pictures after the break so you can have a gander for yourself, but personally I’d be surprised if this were true. In my eyes, this isn’t a Hero but completely different phone. Despite the similarities in technical specifications & UI, if you change the design that much, there’s no way you can market it as the same phone.

Anyway, what do potential US owners of the HTC Hero think of this? Would you be happy if the phone was redesigned? Personally, I quite like the ‘chin’ but I may be in a minority here.

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Sprint’s HTC Hero?

Via Engadget Mobile.

1 john heams September 1, 2009 at 9:17 AM

It’s just not a hero without its chin, I bet it won’t feel as sweet when its sitting in your hand.

2 Tony Hedges September 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I am in the UK and have an HTC Hero, complete with chin, and I would say I agree with the writer of this page. I love the chin! It helps you find your way about on the phone without having to look. This phone looks completely different and IMHO cheaper too. I would be very surprised if this is a US Hero. It is more likely to be a completely different phone.

3 Carsten September 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM

love the chin

4 zurehenk September 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM

i think the htc hero looks better

5 maven1975 September 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I loved the look of the original Hero. I was looking forward to the chin! This redesign looks like bootleg garbage. The brass looks horrible and what in the world did they do to the poor trackball?

Argh.. They better have beefed up the inside to compensate for what the did on the outside.

6 Dean September 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Go to http://www.htc.com/us/ and HTC shows the Hero coming to Sprint. It appears to have the chin, but the buttons look more like buttons in the chinless one here.