HTC Hero ROM update now live

by Hero on September 24, 2009

HTC HeroOkay, I know this news is a week old, but I’ve been away (without internet access) so I’m just catching up! The much-awaited HTC Hero ROM update was released across most regions last week (15th September). The new firmware upgrades the ROM to v2.73.405.5.

Frustratingly, this particular update only works for sim-free handsets. For those who bought their handsets from Orange UK, there is a network-specific update available as we speak that upgrades the ROM to v2.73.61.5. T-Mobile UK users have been left in the cold for the time being, although an update is “imminent”.

The benefits of the new update include greater speed as well as touch-focus functionality to the 5MP camera. The update takes around 10 minutes to install but wipes the HTC Hero in the process. As we’ve mentioned before, the update requires a Windows PC, leaving MAC/Linux users out in the cold.

1 George September 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM

This was what I got back form HTC Thailand, on the 22/09/09:
——————————-
“Thanks for contacting HTC.

With regards of your query, actually we haven’t received any information regarding the Rom Upgrade for HTC Hero, as the one you see is from UK. Please pay attention at http://www.htc.com as this will be the place to lauch the Rom Upgrade.

Thanks

HTC
Hotline: 1800 238 7788
Service Hours : 8 am – 8 pm, Monday – Saturday (except Public Holidays)”
————————–
Shame….I hate waiting indefinitely.

2 Vivek October 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Is there any update on ROM upgrade in India ?

3 martin October 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I did the update last night, I forgot to back my contacts! But, that aside there is a definite increase in overall speed in the gui. So I didn’t mind the hassle with the contacts.

4 alfie November 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I have a sim free Hero that was unlocked from Orange. Because of this the only ROM available to me based on the SN is the orange one. Am I correct in assuming that although I’ve unlocked the device if I apply this update the phone will be again locked to Orange? Appreciate the guidance!

5 conrad January 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Hi I’m also afraid of doing the upgrade on my t-mobile g2. Did you try the update and if yes what happened?

Thanks

6 conrad January 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Hi me again. The update did not lock the phone and works fine.

7 Rishab January 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Hey Conrad which update did you installed the t-mobile one or the worldwide update coz i’m having a sim free t-mobile g2 touch and i wanted to know which update should i install. I’ll appreciate the guidance.

8 Serkan OZSU January 29, 2010 at 7:53 AM

What is the Hero rom upgrade to android 2.1 Sense UI release date? I waiting impatiently this.
Hero is really hero phone. I think only missing the navigation dont have.

9 wessiderules February 10, 2010 at 12:35 PM

dunno abt 2.1 but tmobile users cannot upgrade their phones using any other rom than the worldwide one.

10 wessiderules February 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM

i just updated mine from http://www.unlockr.com with modacos customr rom, the guide and videos are all present there. This Rom is based on the htc hero (g2) official rom and has same speed and functionalities, except that it has more features like internet tehering and others. FOLLOW THESE 2 LINKS one by one

11 steve March 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM

just updated and definetly is working faster. need to back up your messages and contacts before upgrade . photos didnt get wiped but you need to download all your apps again.

12 Yousafzay September 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

i’m having a sim free T-Mobile G2 Touch with 1.5, i want to upgrade it but i cant find any support on Tmobile site, from where should i get rom upgrade to android 2.1 for my mobile? help please