The HTC Hero recently received a software (ROM) update, improving the performance of the handset. However, the firmware version of Android remained at v1.5 (Cupcake). The next firmware update (v1.6 – codenamed Donut) will not be released until October. Sprint users will be happy to know that its HTC Hero handset will have v1.6 installed out of the box, according to Pocket-Lint.
The Donut release of Android contains a number of improvements including the following:
- Quick search box: Enables you to search internet history and emails. It’s a self-learning system.
- Battery indicator: Allows you to see which apps are draining the battery the most.
- Better display support: Applications can be rendered properly on different display resolutions.
- Camera improvements: Launching the camera will be 38% faster and the “gap” between shots will be 28% shorter.
- The gallery, camera and video camera UI is now integrated.
- Pico: Multi-lingual speech synthesis engine that allows any Android application to “speak” a string of text with an accent that matches the language.
Check out a demo video of Android v1.6’s main features after the break.