HTC confirms Android 2.0 update for HTC Hero

by Hero on October 29, 2009

Android 2.0Excellent news, fellow HTC Hero owners. Just yesterday there was speculation that HTC may be skipping the Android 1.6 (Donut) update and heading straight to version 2.0 (Éclair). HTC has now confirmed that they are doing exactly that.

The rumors are true! Hero will be getting an Eclair update. We ask for your patience as we update Sense for the fancy new Android OS,” the company said via its official Twitter feed.

This new Android firmware is expected to hit all types of HTC Hero (European & Sprint). I’m just hoping that the same applies to wireless carrier branded handsets including the T-Mobile G2 Touch. After all, the last HTC software ROM update took significantly longer to hit the G2 Touch than it did unbranded handsets.

No details were given on its availability but it’s great to know that we are getting it (sometime soon I hope!) If you need reminding on exactly which new features you’ll get with Éclair then check out our previous post here. This release will also get a killer-app in the form of Google Maps Navigation that was announced yesterday. It’s likely to mean bad news for dedicated satnav companies and it’s worth highlighting that shares of TomTom & Garmin were off around 20 percent yesterday following this news!

1 M1AU October 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for sharing this! Looking forward to a sooner than later Android 2.0 Update, as there are still a few bugs in the current Hero ROM.

Hopefully they also release a new platform independent update tool, so we Mac and Linux users don’t stand in the dark on the next update! You read that HTC?

2 Wally October 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM

It would be wonderfull if we can know approximate date for the availability of the 2.0 rom…

3 Rob Evans October 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Yeah..this is great news, Andriod is developing at a rate of knots at the moment which is great for us. But like you say, we’ll have to wait patiently for the update from @htc.

4 SKYRKT October 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Can’t wait for it, hopefully HTC will provide a Mac update tool, I don’t want to install Boot Camp just to update my phone.

5 Chris October 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I just got the HTC G2 HERO,re the updates what should I do as I am new to all this.

6 Hugo November 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Will this fix some of the numerous sync problems with activesync? Hate having to use a 3rd party application just to check my work email.

7 jakubik November 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Hello, it’s been almost a month now since this posting. I can’t wait for the Ecclair update. Is it coming soon to the UK? I very much hope it will be here well before Christmas.

8 guy3001 December 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM

er, any news about this?

i hate it when these things take so long, considering you only have a handset for around 18 months, it’s v frustrating to wait long period of time for an update to make your phone work as it should..

9 Joseph Puglisi February 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Here we are in February 2010 and not a peep about Android 1.6 or 2.0 for the Hero. I love the device but it sorely needs an update. There are functions that make the unit behave quite slowly for periods of time. Coming out of a phone call, for example, takes so much time before you can do anything with the unit. Wireless sync has a few issues, too, most notably duplicated entries.

Can you provide at least an outside guess when we might see an upgrade?

10 Shameem April 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Presently, my HTC Hero has following firmware version 1.5 and build number
2.73.405.5 146733 CL#61267 release keys
Software version 1.0.0.A6288

Could any one, let me know, how i can update to latest available firmware version ? Please let me knw link.

Thanks,
Shameem

11 rapaka June 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I recently bought HTC HERO in UK, Now I moved to India, i want to upgrade it to latest version (I think 2.1). currently i am holding 1.x version.
Pls suggest me the process to upgrade

Thanks in Advance..

12 ylliricon August 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM

how can i update android to the lates version ?