Apps installed on my HTC Hero

by Hero on November 13, 2009

in Applications

Apps on HTC HeroMobileCrunch recently outlined “Ten Apps All New Android Users Should Check Out” that got me thinking about my own essential list of apps. You can check out the main apps that I’ve got installed on my HTC Hero after the jump.

It’s not every app I’ve installed, but the main ones I use regularly. Now all we need is a decent Divx video player on Android and then I’ll be sorted. It would be interesting to hear your favourites too, let me know what I’m missing in the comments below!

Beebplayer – Great to catch up on latest BBC shows.

Facebook – Self-explanatory really. The widget does a good job of updating but still lacking in features compared to the iPhone app.

Layar/Places Directory – Both of these apps do a similar thing i.e. tell you what amenities are nearby. Layar is a bit fancier though using augmented reality.

London Tube Status – Only relevant to Londoners, but great app to keep abreast with London Tube delays!

NewsRob – Essential Google news reader that keeps me on top of the news influx each day.

Qik – Video streaming app that I’ve used more for fun than anything. Works better on Wi-Fi than 3G, but can’t complain too much.

Shazam – Great app that lets you identify an unfamiliar song. I didn’t think I’d use it that much, but once you have it with you it’s surprising how much it comes out!

SmsToMailbox Lite - Backs up your text messages to your Gmail account so you can view and search them.

Taskiller – Essential resource management tool to close down apps that are straining the battery.

Twidroid – The main reason I use Twidroid is due to its multi-account support. There are twitter clients with nicer interfaces (Swift springs to mind) that are worth checking out too. Still not as good as Gravity on Symbian though.

1 Phone Lookup November 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM

This phone has a video app that i liked very much

2 M1AU November 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM

What I don’t like about NewsRob, is that you have to authorize you Google Account through the Program and not through a transparent, official Google webpage.
I won’t get my Google account password to any simple app developer on the market, though, I’d love to use my Google Reader on the device. :/

3 Shahpur November 13, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Hi,

NewsRob is the best rss reader out there on ANY platform. You can configure so many things that it will perfectly suit anybody.

about the google security issue:

just open another google account and import your rss feeds. you don’t have to use yor main account for that.

Of course if you really must be logged in into your main google account all the time, then the workaroud with a seperate google account for rss only is not that practical.

i actually don’t use the google reader at all, and exclusively read my rss feeds viw NewsRob, thats why it was no problem for me to open a new google account only for this use-case.

4 Cribology November 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM

“Listen” for listening to podcasts

5 Firax November 14, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Thanks for the nice post!! I would also add gTasks for offline Google Tasks sync :)

6 Carlos November 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I would definitely say Taskiller is my number one app. I also love Listen for all my podcast needs. GPS status 2 can be useful for checking your GPS signal as many other apps like Google Maps and Footprints rely on this. Great blog by the way!

7 ilan November 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Shopsavvy is amazing demonstration of the power of this phone. It’s one of those barcode scanner progs that compares prices, shows on map near u, etc…

8 Dan November 17, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I use Beeb on my walk home, but strangely it always drops out at the same place every time – as I’m walking past BBC Broadcasting House! Not sure where the problem lies, but it’s pretty consistent.

9 George November 18, 2009 at 7:48 AM

I find “Locale” invaluable. It allows certain settings on your phone to be changed automatically depending on your location, date/time, caller ID or battery level. Just to be able to have the ringer automatically switch off between 9pm and 7am, if I am at home, has eliminated late calls waking up my young son ( and has thus kept me out of the dog house).

10 arturo November 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM

how can i find in the htc hero the gps for to use it in a normal base in my car?

thanks

11 Paulius November 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Please provide QR barcodes for the apps – I know that takes time but it would save lots of time for us :) And your blog would look more professional :)

12 Leonardo November 25, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I have a macbook and I am trying to sync my contacts and calendar with my htc hero. Apparently there are few apps that can help you with this like Missing Sync for Android but still a beta version and not very efficient yet. Does anyone have found another alternative?

13 Matt November 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Ear – for setting sound profiles, closest thing i could find to the SPB Phone Suite for WinMob….
TaskPanel – my preferred task killer
Handcent SMS
DroidLive – streaming internet radio :-)
Aldiko – eBook reader
Astro – file management

14 Dave December 7, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Taskiller Free or Advanced Task killer, there’s an option. Which do you use?

15 Hero December 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I use the free version. I believe this now has all of the features of the paid version as long as you don’t mind a bit of advertising on the top of the app.

16 Dave December 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM

The one with the cute green alien? Seems to work fine. What I can’t figure out is why when I close some apps they reopen again, like Last.fm? I thought I’d killed it!