HTC Legend: HTC Hero successor to launch in Q1 2010?

by Hero on December 7, 2009

in News

HTC LegendA whole portfolio of HTC smartphones were allegedly leaked today, including five Android handsets. There appear to be some exciting models on the horizon (if the leak is true) including the HTC Bravo that sports a 3.7-inch AMOLED display, 720p HD video recording and Divx support. Another handset called the HTC Legend appears to be the successor to our beloved HTC Hero.

This model is just 11.4mm thin and comes in a metallic frame. Improvements over the HTC Hero include an optical mouse (instead of touchball), a 3.2-inch OLED display, a 5MP camera with flash all powered by a 600MHz Qualcomm MSM 7227 chipset.

The HTC Legend is set to land in March 2010 according to the slides, which puts it in for an appearance post the Mobile World Congress show in Barcelona from 15th – 18th February. This fits in with what HTC executive, Patrik Andersson, said recently about the ‘Hero 2’. He claimed that the phone would be announced at MWC and will ship it soon after. Check out the key HTC Legend slides after the break.

HTC Legend

HTC Legend

HTC Legend

1 George December 8, 2009 at 2:11 AM

600 MHz processor for 2010? Seems like smart phones should be running at least 1GHz processors. Maybe hTC foresees Android becoming so much faster with each incarnation and therefore lacklustre processors won’t leave them in the dust.

Santa and the Easter bunny also agree.

2 del December 8, 2009 at 2:02 PM

It probably will get faster, but wouldn’t having a bigger processer decrease battery life? Android needs to be able to allow installing apps on the SD card.

3 JROD December 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Hero just came out. The thought of making a successor less than a year after release of the initial release seems hardly reasonable. Let 1 year go by to 1: make current owners happy for their purchase, not thinking it was a waste for 6 months, 2: refine, tweak and learn about the current phone enough to make a successor worthy enough. 3: development is always key to a successful product. The longer it spends in R&D the better it succeeds in the real world.

4 extitteBymn December 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Great blogpost, great looking weblog, added it to my favorites.

5 Marc Petersen December 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Well, the Hero lacks a LED flash. This makes the phone kind of worthless in most social media situation where there isnt enough light and the video is wobly. so i say shoot those new releases on the market. Even as an owner very happy except the above mentioned. Apple screwed people after 3 months i think :) but more with pricing.

6 brandt00 December 17, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I am going to be a new hero owner. I just found this website. Is there anything that I should be aware of? I purchased it and am waiting for it to come in. I am a current Pre owner. It is nice, but many problems. Could anyone help me with potential problems, ideas, great things etc. Thanks!

7 bdddooot December 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM

jrod hero has been out in europe for over a year.

8 imperial dalek December 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM

lets hope the hero 2 software refinments will be included inthe updates to be released in Q1 2010 within the software OS upgrades.
I sure do miss being able to play some types of Windows Media Player files.

;-)

9 Mike Siconolfi January 2, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I love the HTC Hero and all it’s feature except the lack of a camera LED flash. However, I need help in finding out how to make a portable LED flash work with my HTC Hero.
I was thinking of getting white LED’s and fitting it into a small box then adding the 3.5mm plug to the box. By plugging this LED box into the HTC 3.5mm audio input jack serves as support for the LED box and the voltage needed to go to the LED lights. Since Android is open source, somehow an app can be made to take the audible camera clic sound and gain it up with enough voltage to trigger the LED light plugged into the audio jack. In theory this can work. My problem is finding the right avenue of information and resources to impliment this idea. If you can, please contribute any addition rescources, links, comments. Thank you.

10 Eskymo January 14, 2010 at 1:23 AM

@bdddooot – the Hero was released in Europe in July, that is hardly a year…

11 Abby February 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM

I wonder if it will be on Sprint

12 Jorge February 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM

That’s right pp, Im still trying to understand what exactly HTC is developing. I should say that by now the 1 Ghz processor speed tends to be the standard or if it isnt almost every mobile brands are focusing towards that. I have actually heard about 1.5 Ghz dual core processor…..we still talking about phones right? I think the Hero is a great phone, I have my one since it came out in London (July 2009) but I would expect the upgrade to come with a 512 ROM + 512 RAM, 1 ghz processor and the led flash. So Im trying to understand what else are they offering that could actually make me sell the one I have and change for the new one…cos if by now I learned to live with the flash most certainly by now Im not worried about it (well thats my point of view). So ? Dont get it !!

13 magnum February 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The form factor looks exactly the same and we can even see the clickable, optical trackpad that replaces the trackball typically seen on HTC Android devices. The back of the device tells us this is going to be a solid, aluminum device
And more: http://bit.ly/htc-legend-official-preview

14 paul March 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM

this new HTC legend does have an LED flash :)

15 Ilse March 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I bought it today and I love it. Nice organiser (you don’t need a google acount to have one), nice speed, briliant display. Camera has flash. And most important for me: you can send photo’s and sounds from and to your device with bluetooth…

16 khalid May 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM

The Legend is smaller, thinner, and packs a better processor

17 Adrian August 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Has anybody heard about a successor at the end? I “lost” (it was stolen) my Hero and I want to buy a new one. As the Hero had a small CPU and the new Androids are comming with 1 GHz and I don’t want to buy one and then 1 month later the successor will be annouced.
I would buy the first if the successor doesn’t look that nice. ;-)

Thanks