HTC updating Hero straight to Android 2.1

by Hero on December 18, 2009

Android 2.1There has been some confusion as to whether HTC Hero owners will be seeing the Android 2.0 (Éclair) or Android 2.1 (Flan) update when it eventually releases. However, Sprint has confirmed that the Sprint HTC Hero will get updated straight to Android 2.1.

This is likely to mean that European (GSM) HTC Hero owners will also see Android 2.1. HTC would have already done the hard work in updating the Sense UI to v2.1 so I’d very surprised if for some inexplicable reason they only released v2.0 for GSM owners.

Sprint tweet

I think we can take it as read that all HTC Hero owners will get an update straight to v2.1. There’s still no firm release date, with Sprint sticking to its “1H 2010” timeline. Let’s hope it arrives as soon as possible.

1 ilan December 19, 2009 at 11:38 AM

tx. does anyone know if these htc hero (UK) updates happen automatically to my phone, or if i have to manually update the software (is this where i should be using the word “firmware”? not sure what that is)?

2 Hero December 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

They are not automatic or OTA (over the air). You’ll have to connect the handset to a PC to do the firmware upgrade. HTC’s software only supports Windows, so Linux / Mac users are out of luck I’m afraid.

3 Karl December 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Any idea if the European (GSM) update would be the same for the Telus Hero (NAM 3G bands)?

4 Silq December 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Does anyone know exactly what is included in the 2.1 upgrade? I’m really curious to know what they are actually improving on and adding to the Hero.

5 Shahpur December 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Im pretty sure that HTC will release the update for unbranded european HTC hero first. And After that carriers will pick the update up. It was always like this, and doesnt make Sense the otherway around.

6 Don January 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

After having lost patience with the HTC team in getting the 2.01 upgrade out to the handsets I have installed an AOSP (bare bones Android Open Source Program) ROM available from many sites online. I love the feel of Android 2, it just seems a lot more crisp and clean than previous releases. I really love the fact that I can add more than one Google account to the phone though I do miss the Android facebook sync, the facebook application mostly makes up for that though. I am interested to see what HTC deliver with their version of the Android 2.01 upgrade for the Hero … guess we have to watch this space. My concern is with the timeframes being given, saying H1 2010 suggests it will be after Q1 (ie Q2) otherwise they might have indicated a Q1 release date … either that or they’re doing the goold old “underpromise and overdeliver”.

7 kenneth January 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM

anyone has an idea if this firmware update will be available for htc hero orange ?

8 Alex January 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM

it will be available on orange once HTC get round to actually doing it, just like they did with the last update.

9 Frane January 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I’m from Croatia and I bought Hero from T-Mobile provider. Can I install, when it comes, update Android 2.1 to my phone from this site, even it is for UK providers?

Thanks

10 Djernis January 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Aaargh i can’t wait, why won’t HTC just get the job done so i can update my Hero…