Next major Android version codenamed Froyo

by Hero on January 17, 2010

Android FroyoAs many of you will know, each of Android’s major new releases have been codenamed after delicious bakery goods, as well as running in alphabetical order. So far we’ve had Cupcake (v1.5), Donut (v1.6) and Eclair (v2.0) and apparently the next iteration will be called Froyo i.e. frozen yoghurt.

Engadget got the scoop via a conversation with Erick Tseng, Senior Product Manager of Android at Google. At the moment, there’s no idea how substantial an upgrade Froyo will be over v2.1 (a minor update of the Eclair release) or when we might expect it. Now I’m just wondering what they could use for the letter G…

1 George January 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM

How does a frozen yoghurt constitute a ‘bakery good’? A Flan, or Focaccia, perhaps?

2 Anthony January 18, 2010 at 9:42 AM

That’s nice, but who cares? I’m still running Cupcake on my Hero because HTC haven’t released anything more recent. By the time we get to run Froyo on our Heroes, Google will have released “Jello”

3 Alan January 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Gateau, perhaps?

4 Matej January 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Gingerbread, Gâteau, Gumdrop?

5 DT January 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Because their codenames are based on desserts. Not just baked goods.

6 Peter Ebenezer January 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I think we will get ‘Zebra Custard’ before 2.01 gets anywhere near our hero’s…

Its taking aaaages! =(

If its not here by February the 10th I’m going to root…

*waits to be proven wrong by them releasing it tomorrow or something…*

7 Olga January 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Nobody cares if you root or not… why would HTC release an update earlier just because otherwise all people root. Go root and have fun. Personally though, I’ll rather use a working HTC Rom and wait for an upgrade than put some half-assed custom rom, with constant errors , gay names (MoDraaCo, CoolHAXOrROm, L33TRoM, … not actual names) and gay themes (looking like a crappy WinMo, except for the direct ports from the Google SDK) on my beautiful Hero… plus: I don’t wanna loose my warranty.

8 Peter Ebenezer January 22, 2010 at 2:14 AM

yawwwnnnn……..

9 Huib January 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

@olga: you’re right that there are a lot of messy ROMs, but there are some nice ones actually. I recently installed an AOSP (android open source project) build for the hero which is as clean as you can get it. Although I encountered some minor bugs, I can use all the nice features of the newer android versions. :)