March release date for HTC Hero Android 2.1 update pinned down?

by Hero on February 9, 2010

HTCRumours already pointed to a March release date for the Android 2.1 update for the HTC Hero. A different source (HTC Benelux) is now pegging the release date as mid-March, giving a good chance that we’ll see the update next month.

The new update will bring with it several new features including a new Friend Stream widget that aggregates user updates across services such as Twitter and Facebook and tweaked Exchange support. One can only hope it’s true, only a month to go…

Via Whizpr [via Engadget].

1 Myke February 10, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Please God! Tired of being behind the rest of the Android world.

2 Paul February 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I would really like to know why HTC are being so slow about this. Massive benefits yet it just seems like an age before it is being rolled out. I move from iPhone to HTC Hero to be on the Android platform. I have to say I am a little disappointed. I want great things from the Android. Not enough going into this in my view……..

Come on HTC and come on Android!!!!!!!

3 Zach February 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM

It’s slow because they’re not just rolling out a standard build of Android – they have to redo their entire Sense UI so that it works with Android 2.1. They are lagging “compared to everyone else” because they have more work to do than the others.

4 Sem February 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM

My hero is waiting 2.1 !
I don’t wanna use custom flash and rooting stuff…

5 Roni March 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I’m an ex-BlackBerry addict, thinking I could never love anything else…OMG, I can’t believe I was so closed-minded! Anyway, this is kind of a dumb question, but, what all is the 2.1 supposed to change? I can think of a few things that need to be different, but…

Also, do you guys know why in the world, this great, powerful, do-everything phone, doesn’t have a darn FLASH on the camera? That’s the only thing I am missing really badly from the BlackBerry. Wth?

Thanks.

6 Death Destoryer March 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Zach, if you think HTC have loads of work to do? It’s because they have to rebuild the ‘Sense’ interface because they never got it right in the first place! The Rom update in Oct only fixed minor bugs again because they never got it right the first time round.

7 Bill April 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Just found out the new Release date for Android 2.1 for htc Hero. June 4th! This is through Sprint Tech Support.

8 Chris May 4, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Anroid is awesome, 1.5 is fine with the HTC ‘Sense’ I had a Tmobile G1 before my hero and that was running with out Sense and it sucked, it was ugly! If HTC is taking so long because they are busy making a great OS better then I am more than happy to wait