HTC Hero Android 2.1 update will see Sense refresh

by Hero on February 16, 2010

in Firmware

Android 2.1With all of this talk of new HTC handsets running Android 2.1, one may think that HTC is leaving its HTC Hero owners behind. This is not the case according to Slashgear, who says that the Android 2.1 HTC Hero update will land by the end of March and bring with it a Sense UI refresh.

Exactly what this refresh will bring remains unknown for now, although we will not get the full update seen on the HTC Legend handset. Whether we get its new Friend Stream app or pinch-to-zoom homescreen feature remains to be seen. The upgrade is likely to be a downloadable update rather than OTA one.

1 Joff February 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM

So if it’s a downloadable update, does that mean we’ll lose all our settings again? If so, I’m sticking with 1.6. I can’t be bothered with updates that need so much effort – just imagine the outcry if Apple forced that on their customers!

Some things just seem to be a bit too half-arsed for HTC.

2 r00n February 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I’m really looking forward to this update. Curious what we can do more and how much faster/slower the device will be. It is indeed annoying that all the settings will be lost. Something they should look at with a new Android version when you ask me.

3 Shahpur February 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Actually i didn’t expect anything less. I also don’t see any reason why the update should leave out any new HTC Sense Feature. HTC didn’t really update all that much besides helicopter view and some widgets.

4 Tony Hedges February 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM

If you look at the HTC UK site, there is a 26 minute video introducing teh HTC Legend, HTC Desire and HTC HD Mini.
http://www.htc.com/uk then click on presentation (middle right)

5 A Looker February 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Joff, Apple updates wipe out all your information too. The apps and contacts are stored in the cloud (like Google) the only thing you will loose is your costume home screen which is not much to loose.

6 Gareth Evans February 18, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Will these updates be network operator specific?

7 stéphane February 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Of course HTC is not really taking care of its existing customers… When Android made 3 updates on its OS, HTC made zero update on the Hero model, while the firm was developping other mobiles with last updated Android OS… I will left the HTC brand ASAP, because what HTC didn’t really understand is that Android can be find on other brand….

8 htcheroowner February 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I have contacted HTC Europe by e mail re the 2.1 update and their response was that they don’t have a specific date but they expect it to be in April.
Hurry up HTC……

9 Peter Ebenezer March 5, 2010 at 2:33 AM

@htcheroowner
Didn’t they say previously it was due mid march? or did I imagine that?
I rooted my phone back in February, I just didn’t bother changing roms because I didn’t want to risk third party roms on it and wanted to stay loyal to htc/android… (only wanted to disable tweet and stocks running in the background even though I NEVER use them)

Screw that now… I’m re-rom’ing this weekend, If you want something done right you’ve got to do it yourself clearly…
I’m also changing to a different handset as soon as possible.
(Not sure on the nexus one because that’s also htc…, I’ll just wait and see what other handsets with android on are available when I’m due. I’m definitely swapping from HTC though.)