HTC Hero will not get Flash 10.1

by Hero on February 27, 2010

in News

Adobe FlashThe HTC Hero will not be getting an update for Adobe’s full mobile version of Flash 10.1 according to a representative on the Adobe Forum.

No, the HTC Hero will not be supported b/c it does not have the correct Android OS version and its chipset is not powerful enough. We require a device with an ARM v7 (Cortex) processor. Examples include the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets and TI OMAP3 series.

Full support is only being given to phones with at least Android 2.0 and powerful enough processors. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t get Flash as the Hero supports HTC’s version of Flash Lite.

Via Softpedia.

1 anon February 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM

wait… what? but isnt htc hero getting version 2.1 andriod os in march anyway. and no doubt a rooted one can already run this, i smell licensing + lies.

2 Todd Heckert February 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM

that suck, they just want you go a buy a new phone.. it is all a corporate scam.

3 sbsxaid February 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM

What the hell wrong with google and htc, why we dont get the flash update? Producing more than 20 phones all use the same OS and same shape and thn prefer one over the other? U know very well mobile contracts take 18 months to 2 years, how we suppose to get the new updates thn?
The whole idea switching from Nokia to ur mobiles is the updates we get! Now I know why the iPhone is selling better!

4 Jad February 28, 2010 at 6:14 AM

I don’t know who to blame, HTC or Adobe. I only bought the Hero for the PROMISED flash support, now I’m sure many other users like me feel betrayed. As for your “Flash Lite”, i hope you guys know where to stick that!

5 _wayne_ February 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Noone’s going to chime in and say, “Flash sucks anyway”?

6 Mark February 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

This is total rubbish, anyone with a brain can work that out. Someone just called tech support and got a straight answer based on where the HTC Hero is right now, before the update. The HTC Hero will have 2.1 and it has a v9 processor – so there are no excuses.

7 Fernando March 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM

So no live streaming videos or nothing good like that? :(

8 Peter Ebenezer March 1, 2010 at 11:58 PM

If this is the case I will be jumping ship from HTC once my contract is up…
Android in itself = good
HTC support for existing customers = not worth bothering with

As Mark said. the Hero is easily capable of it. not to mention you can over-clock the Hero and still have it completely safe and usable… but they don’t want an ‘old’ handset to be seen anywhere near the performance of the ‘newer’ handsets otherwise there is no reason for us to upgrade.

Nokia tried a similar lark and I’ve now crossed them off the list of handsets I would ever touch again. We shall see…

9 anon March 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM

This is certainly a reason to root my phone, That and more regular updates
that most other handsets (older even) are at v2 legit, how long does it take to
recompile a kernal and add widgets, sod the eyecandy! as minimal as that is.

Am starting to wish I’d had not gone HTC, is it really worth aesthetics over function.

10 webos March 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM

HTC sucks and Google sucks even more. No yahoo mail no updates no flash. What a POS. Eveyone is in such a frenzy to screw Apple that they end up screwing their customer. What a bunch of corporate bullshiz. Wait til at&t stops suckling at the iPhone teet and let’s them join Sprint. See what happens to HTC and that sorry ass Android.

11 Bernard March 5, 2010 at 1:42 AM

It looks like it has already taken it’s toll. My website server is already requiring that you update your flash player to 10.1 to view my website. I used to be able to view my flash site fine on my Sprint Hero, now nothing, just an exclamation point with a big F. Wonderful. . .

12 Penismeister March 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Ok, I have enough of the whining.

What’s your problem, guys? You bought a phone AS IS. You liked it AS IS. You will even get a free upgrade in less than a month.

Adobe never said it would support Flash on the Hero. HTC never said they’ll support all Flash sites forever on the Hero. Yet you bought your phone. Be happy and use that shit and don’t just sit there waiting for features to maybe come.

If you really care so much (Hell, I don’t even know what you care about so much) buy an iPhone. I don’t see anything better on the market than Android, and if you just stopped for a second and thought about it you’d realize that ranting like a little entitled bitch won’t make you happy.

13 Snipes March 30, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Three out of four flashmovies don’t work on my Hero. I hope HTML5 will come soon and Flash will have a fast death. Until then, my next phone will be an iPhone…

14 Mystic April 16, 2010 at 1:01 AM

This sux! The phone is not even a year old yet and its getting left out of special features. I’m sorry. but I get tired of trying to watch YouTube vids and keep getting, “sorry, cannot play this video”. I do love my phone, but I am very disappointed.

15 Denis April 21, 2010 at 8:55 AM

well, to all those who are whining about flash on the Hero, keep in mind that there is NO FLASH SUPPORT ON iPHONE/iPAD/…

With HTC, you’ve a decent flash support (even if it may be outdated)

The Hero is a great platform : open (no app store choke point), no restriction on what you can program (emulators, interpreters, … allowed, unlike on the iphone), allows SD-Cards (unlike the iPhone), standard recharge connector (any mini USB (extended or not) works),…

Newer phones have more RAM and twice as much processing power… Flash is all but lightweight and I guess that Adobe don’t want to see people complaining about flash being too slow (which it is… they crammed more and more (useless) features in it in order to have new versions to sell and make money)

About the youtube problem, I think that it comes from the youtube website… it detects that you’re on a mobile platform and switch to m.youtube.com… and looks the video on that same addresses instead of http://www.youtube.com... If you go though iGoogle, you can watch the videos without any problem…

16 Corporate Scm April 15, 2011 at 10:26 PM

HTC Sucks Arse. Customer Support 0.

17 Ryan April 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

The HTC hero just doesn’t have the processor to run Flash Full. It need ARM7, the Hero only has ARM6, doesn’t matter really, can still do everything i need.!!