HTC Hero Éclair Android update now due in April?

by Hero on March 11, 2010

Android Eclair on HTC HeroI don’t need to tell anyone that the 2.1 Android update for the HTC Hero handset has still not arrived, not for those with GSM handsets and neither for those Sprint Hero users. All of the rumour and speculation pointed to a March release date and given that we’re still less than half way through the month, I’m still quietly optimistic that it will make an appearance soon.

Well that was until I read a piece on Swedroid, where a member of the public received a reply from HTC Sweden that says the Android 2.1 release is not “set in stone” and expect it “around April”. Maybe there are different release schedules depending on region, but here’s where I start to get pessimistic.

Android 2.1 update

The last major HTC Hero ROM release was released in Scandinavia first before hitting other regions (including the UK) a week or so later. I’d be surprised if this time around that Scandi was not one of the first regions to get the update. This could mean that the update has indeed been delayed, although we’ll give HTC the benefit of the doubt for now.

Taking a different angle, maybe the company is worried about cannibalising sales and may want their new Android 2.1 devices (HTC Legend and Desire) to fully hit retail shelves before releasing the HTC Hero update. Who knows what the reasons are, but I’m sure there’s a fair few who would just like HTC to tell us a date and then stick to it.

1 Scott Edy March 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

i understand them being nervous about releasing before the Leg and Des hit shelves but those that have the HERO are in contract (most of them. i bought mine) so its not likely to effect sales. very very few ppl do buy handsets out right. the the release for others is not really in a window of when pp are due upgrades. that normally the end of summer.

i need this update the fact that i am witing for my Desire is beside the point.

come on HTC… GIVE IT UP!!!

2 Masterofnothing March 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM

They should have told us a date, but what you and other blogs are doing is the wrong thing.

See, every month some blog posts rumors about a new release date and they always sound optimstic. It was alway some branch of HTC that spurted out these release dates and it was often just a simple tech support guy doing it. Either these tech guys just didn’t want to say “I have no idea” anymore or they were specifically told to keep customers at bay.

Now, all the blogs and many news outlets take these rumors and a large percentage of Hero users then say… aaah ok I’ll just wait another month. Like me actually, I bought the Hero in (end of) December, because my old one broke. I saw the official announcement of the update in 1H2010 and the rumors about January till March etc. so I thought I can take this. Don’t get me wrong I like my phone. And here’s what HTC did wrong, they let out these rumors but not an official date and I opted for the Hero instead of the Droid or Nexus One (which was around the corner) and AFAIK they did this update rumor thing for the last few months in 2009 already. I will use this phone until it dies whether it’s with 1.5 or with 2.1, well at least 2 years. I won’t buy the Legend or the Desire just because it came out BUT I will also not buy a phone sold buy HTC when I need a new one. I’ll either take an iPhone or a Nexus one/two by the time. This delay strategy just doesn’t sit well with the once happy customers.

I am happy that you at least wrote that you are getting pessimistic. But I just hope that you and other blogs would point out the fact that HTC seems to be sending out these rumors and avoids clear statements (many many questions on the HTC twitter account about release dates and no definite answers) INSTEAD of actually posting these vague rumors as is. By now we know that anything but official statements can be safely ignored: HTC Poland – Feb 15, HTC Benelux and some Irish provider – early March, Sprint (doesnt affect me but still) and HTC Sweden – April.

I disklike Apple but the reason Apple does so well and has such a good following has many reasons, one is that they are good at keeping customers attached to the brand. If HTC keeps on this type of customer treatment (= oh, they are already customers we don’t ned to care about them) won’t help them in the long run.

There are voices out there saying HTC will never release an update, or if they will do so after the Legend (not hero) has vanished just like they did with some WinMo phones (I do’nt know if that’s true, just citing). And what will ring in the HTCs customers mind is ultimately: “They promise good things but don’t keep these promises.”

I hope I don’t sound whiny… I don’t mean to, I just think HTC would be better of with the advice here.

@HTC: Just say a date. Now that the new Sense is out it’s obvious that delaying is just a marketing strategy for your new phones, you can’t say “when it’s done” cause it IS done.
I’m ok if you say it’s in April, May or June, but just say it.

3 Shahpur March 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM

My next phone will be without HTC Sense i guess.

4 Peter Ebenezer March 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM

@Masterofnothing – well said and I agree with everything you have said. You can easily tell that this is blatant marketing (what with the leaked sense upgrade..).
I also will not be getting another HTC handset again. Or if it comes down to getting android or not (if in future HTC are the only suppliers) I will have to weigh up the pro’s and con’s very carefully once again against blackberry…
If I do decide on android it will DEFINITELY not have SenseUI. It may be pretty but look at all the hassle it is causing to us existing customers.

As you say, the reason Iphone is so big is that everyone knows and trusts the brand. How can we trust the HTC brand when they are kicking customers to the kerb to release the next ‘big thing’.

By releasing the upgrade they will still get more sales because the HERO will be on cheaper tariffs what with it being old compared to the new flagship devices. People will see the Hero as a good mid-ground if they don’t want to pay over the odds for the newer device but like the UI etc and will more than likely buy it based on that.
(I however will be recommending them think long and hard before hand though..)

5 Greenfingers March 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I’m also disappointed with the way HTC are not managing our expectations. It’s not fair on us and not fair on the developers of Sense. They shouldn’t have to read negative comments from customers after making something so cool.

6 htcheroowner March 12, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Don’t know if this is of any help but I recieved a response from HTC tech support for Uk and Ireland on 24th Feb which stated that the 2.1 update would be out in april (unfortunately no more detail than that…..).
I wish they’d get their act together and provide a half decent level of customer service by setting a date and sticking to it.

7 Scott Edy March 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM

you all make very good points. i agree with all. esp the sales idea (working for Carphone) re next level model options against prices.

something else i thought of while being saddened by the “kicked to the kerb” comment (this feels quite true) you would think with all going on re courts an suits HTC would be making sure they keep there following.. god knows they are gonna need the support.

8 John Sit March 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM

my next phone is definatley not htc “why” coz i don’t have trust in them anymore, talk about getting a legend i see the same problem happening in the future, htc is all about keeping customers in suspence wonder whether we are as valuable as they claim???? anyway i’m still in love with my hero but i just want to renew the love.

9 Franny March 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM

HTC can go f**ck themselves.

4 months of me owning a Hero and it’s already out of date. I mean what the f**k?? In this day and age of 18 month contracts; this is what they do?

I’m definitely not getting an HTC now. Have to suffer 14 months with an out of date phone which is too slow.

As for people getting the Legend; the spec on that is already out of date. They’ll have a new version in 6 months to put that completely out of date too. Idiots.

10 Fred Mjol March 13, 2010 at 12:44 AM

What the ?!!!??

A friend of mine from xda just forwarded me this screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/hv4r3.png (Screenshot)

Can they do this? I hope this is fake.

11 Kanter March 13, 2010 at 9:35 AM

If this rumor is true, I can honestly say that I’ll NEVER by an HTC again!

They keep postponing the update so we can’t use the HTC Hero’s full potential (even bluetooth doesn’t work properly right now)!

In April, the HTC Hero will be release for 9 months. An epic fail if you ask me!!!

12 paulo March 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Stop moaning. if you are that bothered download one of the pre release 2.1 and risk bricking your phone.

13 Bandroid March 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM

is fake.

Mobile World 2010 congress, Peter Chou said 2.1 will come to Hero.

14 Patent Services March 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Whoa there is a much more fight over Google’s Android phone.

15 binaryslate March 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I’ve only recently picked up a Hero from ebay after having to live with an LG Arena for a year, after all the hype that received. In the end the Arena was horrendously bad and there are no upgrades at all and very little customisation possible. Even with the old version of Android, this Hero handset has been like a revelation. Whether or not the upgrade to 2.0/2.1 arrives I’ll be totally happy with the Hero for a good while to come.

16 papoo March 15, 2010 at 9:46 AM

got my hero in december and i’m quite happy with it… would like to upgrade it to Android 2.1 just for the sake of trying the new OS, but if i said i’m not satisfied with the device i’d be a liar…

sure, the way HTC is handling all this is hideous…
customers should get more respect… the Hero doesnt’come cheap and the brand should just be honest…

17 Kanter March 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM

@binaryslate Maybe you should try the bluetooth function. It doesn’t work at all! The worst part is that HTC has the update 2.1 ready. But they won’t release it, first because Nexus One was almost released, now because HTC Legend will be released…

Which means the loyal HTC users are the victim of their marketing decision. An epic fail if you ask me!

18 binaryslate March 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

@kanter not had a need to yet, should I be worried!

I’ll be super happy with any update. Like I mentioned previously it could never be as bad as the Arena :)

19 davem March 15, 2010 at 10:29 PM

HTC need to wake up fast. I didn’t spend £400 on a brand new phone to find about 3 months later the operating system is out of date. Certain apps wont even display in the market place due to it being stuck on 1.5. And developers are having a hard time trying to write code to compensate for the situation, and some (tvcatchup.com) won’t even bother, and I don’t blame them. Unless HTC resolve this fast, android will collapse before its even begun. HTC, for your sake…please sort this out and get everyone up to 2.1. The worst situation would be if HTC wait so long to release 2.1, android gets updated again causing us Hero customers to never be ‘current’. Surely HTC must be aware potential customers will be reading this stuff and backtracking fast?!

20 Magnus March 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Sent a mail to htc Norway today. They say they today have received a mail from the HTC head office, android 2.1 for Hero will come in the beginning of April!

21 Kanter March 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I on the other hand have to wait untill May, ridiculous!
I’ll never buy another HTC phone again!

* HTC EU (Nordic/Greek/RUS/UKR/SA) 2010/4/2
* TMO – UK TMO 2010/4/16
* UK/ES Orange 2010/4/16
* TMO – DE TMO 2010/4/16
* SFR signature Orange 2010/4/22
* ZA(Vodacom) HTC 2010/4/22
* H3G UK H3G 2010/4/22
* HTC BE HTC 2010/5/4
* HTC TUR HTC 2010/5/4
* TMO – PL TMO 2010/5/10
* TMO – HU TMO 2010/5/10
* TMO – MK TMO 2010/5/10

22 Peter Ebenezer March 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Kanter, If you root your device you could get a rooted port of the sim-free release on either the same day or the next day of the sim-free release?
The only downside would be that if your operator has special software they install (to check your account via your device for example) it obviously wont be there.
If you don’t have any special software on your device though that would be what I would do.

23 Kanter March 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

And how do I do that?

24 Peter Ebenezer March 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Im not sure if I’m allowed to link to the actual article directly here (don’t know this blogs policies on that kinda thing).

But If you search for ‘the unlockr root here in one click’ in google then you’ll find what you need (It may even have been posted on here before, have a look through the archives).

Its not complicated. but you do need to read it through a few times before trying it.

25 Hero March 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Peter – We’ve got no problems in you linking. Share and share alike is our motto! ;)

26 Peter Ebenezer March 20, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Thats great!

That is how to root (please note you may have to downgrade the rom, read the first point ;) )

Also the newest ‘recovery image’ is 1.6.2 a simple google should get you the newest one, just remember to write your new version in the text box once it comes to it.

Then once you are rooted do this to get a rom on!

And your done!

Takes around an hour or so if you take your time and concentrate. or probably around 30mins if you want to just fling it all together willy nilly. (not recommended of course :P )

That site also guides you through Un-Rooting if you want to (for warranty purposes, not that you would need to..)

Hope that helps!

27 Rita G. April 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Hello. I just received my HTC Hero to day, I’m loving it…
But there is one thing that annoys me so far, and that is that I seem unable to blog directly the pictures I take!
Is there a way for me to be able to post directly to Blogspot?