HTC Hero Android 2.1 update schedule leaked?

by Hero on March 17, 2010

HTC Hero Eclair updateI think we’ve all accepted that the Android 2.1 update for HTC Hero handsets is not landing this month. April is looking more likely as per our last post and that rumour seems to be gaining ground.

A member of the xda-developers forum called yrreP has posted what he says is the Android 2.1 update schedule for HTC Hero handsets. He claims he was privy to this information from an “email at work”, although doesn’t say exactly where that is. Either way, I don’t see any reason why he’d be lying.

The schedule points to the fact that HTC Hero sim-free handsets will get the update on 2nd April, with T-Mobile UK/Germany and Orange updates coming on the 16th April. If true, it means the mobile operators have minimised the release gap, something that both operators were criticised over last time round.

This seems to be a European schedule only, so no word on when Sprint users will be getting it, but hopefully it won’t be too far after. You can check out the list in full after the cut.

HTC Hero Android 2.1 Update Schedule

HTC EU (Nordic/Greek/RUS/UKR/SA) 2010/4/2

TMO – UK TMO 2010/4/16

UK/ES Orange 2010/4/16

TMO – DE TMO 2010/4/16

SFR signature Orange 2010/4/22

ZA(Vodacom) HTC 2010/4/22

H3G UK H3G 2010/4/22

HTC BE HTC 2010/5/4

HTC TUR HTC 2010/5/4

TMO – PL TMO 2010/5/10

TMO – HU TMO 2010/5/10

TMO – MK TMO 2010/5/10

1 musta March 17, 2010 at 2:59 PM

… HTC IT is missing… doesn’t sound good. at all…

2 Myke March 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM

My God it looks like I’ll get a new phone before getting an update. Pathetic.

3 Ben March 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Oh, really? They are going to update the ROM for the nordic guys on Good Friday[1]?
Somehow I doubt that, although I’ve no idea if they have a public holiday in the target countries on that date, nor where HTC is producing/uploading the build.

I call BS for now – and as a Hero owner I’m pretty damn pissed about the communication problems (Hey, it’s a date. Share it) HTC has here. Let’s not even start with the attitude of leaving customers with a sparkling new phone out in the cold after what? 3-4 month?

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_friday

4 Coornail March 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Why May 10 on Hungary?
There is no translation or anything.

This update won’t be OTA right?

5 ca3 March 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM

It would be great, if TMO DE manages to get the update on the same date as TMO UK. I couldn’t unterstand how TMO DE managed it the last time to loose this “race”.

6 Neil McComb March 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Yup, just emailed HTC customer service and they confirmed the release date of 2.1 for an Orange Hero here in the UK for the 16th of April. I imagine if you all do that then they can send you your own particular release date.

7 Shahpur March 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I’m hearing dates from before christmas 2009, so i won’t believe it until i see 2.1 running on my phone. Also wonder why the release date for sim-free phones doesnt specify germany, but tmobile schedule does.

8 Kiran March 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM

They better be serious about the 2.1 update. I am using HTC Hero for the past 4 months with a senseless 1.5 version of Android just because they couldn’t update the Sense UI on time!

Frankly though, ignore HTC Hero, it is not comparable to the Nexus One nor other slightly more powerful Android handsets….

9 Amster March 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM

^^ Ignore Kiran guys – he/she doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

10 Peter Ebenezer March 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM

^^ I completely agree with Amster.

Newsflash. This is the HTC Hero blog….Take your Hero dissin’ elsewhere =)
‘Its not comparable to the G1′ because it doesn’t (currently) have 2.1, pretty wallpapers, a fast battery hungry processor and 3g issues… =)

11 cian March 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM

What about those of us just on the standard, unlocked Rom?

12 cmdrfire March 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Hmn. I’ll wait ’til April 2nd – Android 1.5 has done me well enough for now, though I’d like some fancy features like Google Goggles – but if the 2nd slips as well, it might be rootin’ time.

I still love the Hero hardware, even if the processor’s a bit outdated now. Not a fan of the ally unibody Legend, played with a Nexus One and it didn’t fit as nicely into my hand, so I’ll be sticking with my Hero.

13 Informe Android March 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM

The Spanish HTC SAT is saying to its costumers that the Orange version for the 2.1 update is landing in April the 30th not the 16th

14 Snowmonco March 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Seeing it to belive it… petty much at the verge of installing a custom ROM if well past beginning April, and bye bye Sense. Can’t wait any longer.

15 Peter Ebenezer March 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Im on Orange.
I rooted a while back when they last pushed the date back. (currently running the Kimera 1.5 rom)

The sim-free rom will probably be rooted within the day so I will have probably saved myself 2weeks (saving two weeks on a rom that was supposed to be released in January is good in my opinion..)

I’ve got the added benefit of a full charge of my handset lasts 4days using Autokiller memory management and overclock widget to underclock my device quite a lot while the screen is off. I also use screeble pro as a back-light manager and turn off network coverage overnight. (I still use the phone exactly the same as I used to, but have the bonus of getting almost an extra day from the battery)

Also my browser is far faster because I have installed an ad-blocker (not to mention no more annoying orange boxes in the free application downloads)

And I can always Un-root if needs be.

16 Klaus March 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Somehow I have my doubts about an update coming out on april 2nd as well.
Denmark is pretty much closed for the easter on april 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th.
I wouldn’t complain if they offered the update durin easter break though – plenty of time to get to know the new system then.

17 pizdagato March 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM

I have an unlocked telus version running on att in usa can i get the sim free on the 2nd or do i have to wait for telus to.get the upgrade does anyone know?

18 Joe March 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM

I’ve given up on the 2.1 update…..the HTC evo 4g will be out before I get the damn update anyways….I’ll get that then I will have 2.1. HTC makes great phones, but their customer service is terrible and they completely ignore you after you have bought their phone. I being a loyal HTC customer (had the mongul, HTC touch, HTC Diamond, Touch pro, and now the hero) have grown to realize that HTC only wants you to buy their phones and nothing else. I remember when I had my mongul it didn’t come with GPS, I had to wait 4 months for them to activate the software even though they put the hardware in the damn phone. Not only did they do that to the mongul but they did the same damn thing to the touch and it came out after the mongul, basically they keep things from your phone (like 2.1 or gps) so when they come out with a new one that has it you buy it.

19 Ashek March 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM

How about HTC Hero Telus Canada, no updates scheduled yet?

20 Proz0r April 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Hmm… doesn’t say anything about T-Mobile HR (Croatia). Anyone have any info on that?

21 John April 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Is it me or has the predicted date been and gone without any sign of the update? Is their a new schedule?

22 Dan0151 April 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Dont think any of the dates are gonna be correct emailed HTC UK and got following response:

Thank you for your email.

We have no information at the moment confirming a specific release date of an upgrade to 2.1.
Please become a member of the e-club on our website, then you will receive a confirmation via email when the upgrade is available.

Once more detailed information is available on the expected release
dates and which of the HTC branded Hero devices will be updated then a more formal announcement
will be made.

Best regards,
Jozefine M
HTC

that was today, surely if they were going to roll it out tomorrow they would have said.

23 techicon April 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM

To me it looks like HTC is deliberately delaying the update as they want people to buy HTC Legend instead of HTC Hero with Android 2.1. So till legend is out and selling for a month; forget about getting update for hero.

You may call it their marketing and sales strategy!

24 JAmes May 8, 2010 at 11:30 AM

And now it’s May and still no word on HTC Hero / Android 2.1 upgrade on Orange. In fact the Orange website is still linking to the ROM upgrade 3 releases ago back in Sept 2009!

25 Byte Code May 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM

It’s the 25th of May, 2010 – Is there *still* no update for my Orange UK HTC Hero?
If the ploy is to make me upgrade to a Legend then it’s pointless – I’m locked into an 18 month contract that I can’t afford to get out of.

The thing is – if upgrades and support are as poor as this, then when my contract expires I will NOT be inclined to re-invest in HTC.

I was disappointed to see HTC rollover and pay Microsoft F.U.D. taxes earlier this year – the added disappointment of no 2.1 update (FROM the antiquated 1.5) is not encouraging me to stay with HTC – it’s pushing me away to other manufacturers.

Come on HTC – Release the damn firmware upgrade or please at least keep us, your customer base informed and up to date with what’s happening, what the nature of the delay is and provide a REAL date to look forward to.

Remember the Cathedral and the Bazaar? Release Early, Release Often.

26 KinetiK May 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM

now it’s nearly june and still no support…

27 gareth May 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I was so excited when I heard that 2.1 was coming to hero, I thought that I hadnt made q big mistake, but now I do. The offer for the tg01 was on the table with Orange, but I opted for hero as the reviews were great. A month later my brother gets the desire, the iPhone is releasing 4gs, and I got Android 1.5 for another 21 months by the look of things. Come in HTC, be loyal to the people who buy your products

28 k marx September 15, 2011 at 6:06 AM

i have tried for over three days to download a sync programme needed for the htc wildfire , this sitew does not hel[p at all neither do the officila htc sites that youre pointed to. the programme does not excist the programmeres are liars the company has my money and wont support me , typical of the lassiaze fare capatalism that dominates and enslaves all the workers , why did i bother to purchase youre phone // answer this in 12 hours or take back the item and refund me .. .

29 k maarx September 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM

30 k marx September 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM

i have tried for over three days to download a sync programme needed for the htc wildfire , this item does not hel[p at all neither do the officila htc sites that youre pointed to. the programme does not excist the programmeres are liars the company has my money and wont support me , typical of the lassiaze fare capatalism that dominates and enslaves all the workers , why did i bother to purchase youre phone // answer this in 12 hours or take back the item and refund me .. .