Latest rumour mill on HTC Hero Eclair update

by Hero on March 27, 2010

Android EclairIt’s becoming almost farcical now, it seems that nearly every day we are hearing different dates bandied around as to when we’ll see the fabled Android 2.1 (Eclair) update for the HTC Hero. The good news is that most of these dates point to sometime in April, but there’s still no official word from HTC.

On the Sprint Hero side, Phandroid reported that the handset may be getting the handset on 9 April. They were allegedly sent an internal memo from Sprint that says there is a “maintenance release tentatively scheduled for April 9th.” This could mean anything and I’m not sure whether a major update such as Android 2.1 could be classified as a “maintenance release” but there you go.

HTC Hero Eclair update

On the GSM HTC Hero side, Engadget says that the Hero will get an update in its home country of Taiwan on 26 April. This came through Plurk (like twitter) and came from HTC themselves. I’m not sure whether this means that we won’t see other regions getting it before or not, but hopefully it means it will definitely be here in April.

HTC Hero Eclair update

1 htcheroowner March 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I’m happy with my GSM Hero handset and I won’t be looking to change it for a while (I’m under contract anyway…), but HTC really need to realise how their poor management of this update process is damaging to its reputation and of peoples confidence in it as a company. Firstly, they need to find a way to increase the speed that they integrate their Sense interface into new Android versions – the fact they chose to skip an update to 1.6 for the GSM Hero has left owners of the handset on the outdated 1.5 version, behind older android handsets and unable to access many Market Apps that are not available on the 1.5 version. Secondly, they need to rethink how they communicate the rollout of such updates to customers. We know the 2.1 android with Sense has been ready for the Hero for some time now (hacked versions seem to have been floating around the web for months) but I suspect HTC want their newer handsets to launch before the Hero gets 2.1, so it doesn’t steal some of their limelight. Either way, HTC need to realise they need to provide a clear and definitive date that all applicable handsets get 2.1 and that allowing all of this speculation is damaging to public confidence. I hope someone from the company is aware of the level of frustration being expressed on these blogs and realise the need to look at how some other companies manage the process better.

2 Maxence March 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

“definitely” aha

3 barb March 27, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I’ll never buy any htc or android crap again

4 paul March 28, 2010 at 5:39 AM

I agree, i am kinda pissed off with HTC for this, if i were buying a new phone (not that i can afford one within 3 months of buying the HERO) i would not lean towards HTC right now just because the mis-information and lack of care doesn’t make me feel special for using HTC’s product, and thats what counts.. sluggish behavior on the HERO is the only thing hurting it, 2 rings before the phone actually rings.. cmon.. i think i’m going back to NOKIA for brand loyalty.

5 davem March 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Compared to my old Nokia N95 8gb, the Hero is ten times better, but spending this amount on a phone and being left this much out of date, for this length of time by the operating system is unexceptable – of course I could route the phone, but why should I have to do this?

My dad who currently still uses his N95 8gb, asked me which HTC phone to choose to upgrade to. I’m wondering if perhaps the Google Nexus One phone would be the one to go for, as according to the wiki, the updates come directly from Google, and knowing how google work, I’m sure they will provide updates pretty much immediately and for a long time to come. Any thoughts people?

6 Jay Bhayani March 28, 2010 at 11:34 AM

We all say this sort of thing, and when the time comes to renew , we will have forgotten this upset, and been happy users of the Hero fora long time.
HTC know this too, so do not care that much.
BUT for the last 2 months, and for the next 2 probably , I ( IT pro affecting 140 users) will actively discourage people buying a HTC phone.

7 Peter Ebenezer March 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I wont ever be getting a nokia again tbh, their customer service is worse than htc from experience… At least htc reply, nokia never reply and send you endless spam about systems you don’t use…

That said my next phone will definitely be android, but probably wont be htc… Why bother getting a phone with a constantly evolving software system if the phone manufacturer is never going to give out updates to try and make you buy the latest (uglier) handsets…

8 Cribology March 29, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I have learned the lesson the hard way. In future I will not buy any Android phone that has been “skinned”. Only Android phones that can be updated directly from google (Nexus 1) will be considered.

9 Me March 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Everyone learned their lessons with HTC. The ones buying the Heros are early adopters and they are the ones that get pissed of by lacking updates the most – well done HTC!

My next phone will be Apple branded. The first iPhone is still well supported and they provide updates on a regular basis. That is how you create brand loyality. HTC should have stuck with what they do best: create handsets for operators and not sell devices under their brand at all.

10 davem April 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I noticed the wikipedia entry for HTC Hero has been updated with text saying ‘Android 2.1 Éclair upgrade for the HTC hero is scheduled to be released on the 16th of April for the following devices: (Nordic/Greek/RUS/UKR/SA) Rom upgrades for other devices are scheduled to follow shortly.’

11 Dademira April 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM

On a dutch site someone had word from HTC that today a 1000 users resived the 2.1 and that the date 26-04-2010 will be the official relase for 2.1. Link is in dutch.
1 last reply states the dates … http://www.androidworld.nl/20528/gerucht-pre-update-voor-de-g2-staat-voor-de-deur/#comments