TELUS HTC Hero delays Android 2.1 update to May?

by Hero on April 7, 2010

HTC HeroCanadian carrier, TELUS, is apparently pushing back the Android 2.1 update for the HTC Hero to May according to sources at MobileSyrup. Whilst TELUS never gave an official release date, it was widely tipped to hit users in April (much like it currently is for European/Sprint HTC Hero owners).

TELUS is delaying the release due to a “lack of effort”. Sounds very cryptic, but I wonder whose lack of effort they are talking about, HTC or TELUS? There’s no denying that many operators have experienced the difficulty of adding their own modifications to the Sense UI after HTC is done with it. I just hope lessons get learnt and this process is minimised in future updates or future phones.

For everyone else in the world, the popular date of choice right now for the update is 16 April. Although, once again, this comes from HTC reps who have been wrong countless times in the past. Remember that schedule from just a few weeks back that certainly looked legit? Well that 2 April date has already come and gone. I really hope for HTC’s sake it does come in April, I’m not sure whether the goodwill of its customers could take another delay.

1 M1AU April 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM

“I really hope for HTC’s sake it does come in April, I’m not sure whether the goodwill of its customers could take another delay.”

I second that!

2 Shaggy April 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM

M1AU April 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I second that!

and I my freind second that too

3 paul April 8, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Me three!

4 Ali Bulut April 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I second that, too….

5 Brian Morrison April 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM

The whole update fiasco is very annoying, Android 1.5 has some barely functional sub-systems (Bluetooth I’m looking at you!) and it very sluggish in comparison with 2.x versions.

I’ve just got my wife a Desire, she tried a demo phone and was completely blown away! I have to say that if my old phone had not died on me on Christmas Eve I would have held off on the Hero for this very reason.

Now that HTC have the Desire and the Legend out there in the wild, just what is the delay with this? It’s not like the Hero is going to steal their thunder now that people can see that the newer phones have some nice improvements (track pad) but it will pay loyal customers back for sticking with the Hero.

6 Cenamix April 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Dear ——,

The HTC Customer Service Representative that has been handling your message would like to know if your question has been successfully answered. You can reply to or close your question by visiting:

Merci d’avoir contacté le support technique HTC. Nous nous engageons à vous fournir un service de qualité et de répondre à toutes vos questions et préoccupations lies à nos produits ou services.

Concernant la mise à jour, nous tenons à vous informer que la mise à jour pour la version 2.1 va sortir entre le 22 Avril et le 6 Mai 2010. “

7 Paul Walton April 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Starting to get a little bored with HTC. They need that update out soon or I may have to revert back to iPhone etc in protest! The update is taking way to long for what reason? HTC need to communicate!!!!!!

Come on HTC speak to us!!!!!!!

8 2Fast4UeXtrem April 8, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Paul, calm down!
When you buy the phone HTC HERO you automatical bought a UPDATE LICENSE??
You see, you bought the Phone itself and if they bring an update, it is so cool, nothing else!
People who know both worlds (free and apple’s) and speaking of reverting to apple’s universe are (to my mind) a bit under the weather …

9 Arshad April 8, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I am never buying a HTC handset… After touchpro and Hero, i am not sure if HTC is actually concerned to keep its present customers happy.. I bought an iPhone today and m really happy with it…

10 Peter Ebenezer April 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

If the upgrade doesn’t land this much im jumping ship.
Not to an iphone though… Sticking with android, just finding a more competent handset provider.
As I said in a previous post on here, lets hope motorola make a new version of the droid.
The desire was tempting but the fact it is sense ui driven AND htc made is a complete deal breaker for me for the considerable future..

11 Prav April 10, 2010 at 5:02 AM

I completely agree with 2Fast4UeXtrem.

When you bought the Hero, you bought it knowing exactly what you were gonna get and there was certainly no ‘update to 2.1′ bundled with it. What HTC is doing is purely out of goodwill because for one, I could never imagine Apple or Microsoft giving out free updates to match older handsets to be on par with their latest handsets – completely F.O.C.

So while it is frustrating to have to wait, it’s purely a bonus that we’re not obliged to get.

12 Pete April 11, 2010 at 9:05 PM

True, however you expect updates to fix problems that you cant test in the shop.
Like bluetooth…
1.6 would have fixed it, but they skipped it to get 2.1 out faster.
The free app in the market to be a workaround didn’t work for me either.
2.1 is an update of the layout but more importantly a bug fix… Companies don’t get far unless they try and fix gripes of their customers. As they say on their site;
‘we strive to give our customers a great user experience’ (or words to that effect). they have good customer communication.. But lacking in the required bug fixes area..

13 Maegoss April 14, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Prav:
“I could never imagine Apple or Microsoft giving out free updates to match older handsets to be on par with their latest handsets – completely F.O.C.”

You are wrong, because Apple provided updates for free for its iPhone (every version).

14 Bilange April 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Telus pushing back its Hero release for later (in May) compared to other carriers is totally BS.

When I got my Telusized HTC Hero, the Android installation was pretty much untouched, except from two bookmarks in the browser for Telus. And perhaps Telus branded wallpapers?

So by Telus saying “lack of effort”, I really hope for Telus’ sake that they’re not talking about themselves. Come on: how hard it is to add a bookmarks and wallpapers? If custom mods packagers can do it rather easily, why can’t Telus do it?

I begin to think it’s HTC acting up (like everyone else also suspects)

15 officebob April 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I’ll admit the touch diamond was a total flop of a phone. It looked so good but
Was just terrible. But the hero is the best phone I’ve ever owned by far.
It’s very well made. It doesn’t need an update but I appreciate HTC getting us one
So our sweet hero can stay on top

16 Frank August 27, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Still no updates? August 27 my god it’s not a delay… It’s negligeance!