HTC ‘confirms’ Hero Android 2.1 update coming at “end of April”

by Hero on April 15, 2010

HTC Hero Android 2.1Yes folks here we are again, another round of stories on the web suggesting a new date for the Android 2.1 HTC Hero update. The latest is that the update (at least for GSM Hero handsets) will land by the end of April. Here’s what HTC replied to an enquiring (and probably frustrated) customer:

“Some of the phones in our Android line up including your Hero are due to receive an upgrade, and it is scheduled to be released starting at the end of April. Your phone should be upgraded Over-The-Air. You can expect a pop-up message on your phone when connected to the internet once it is ready. When the upgrade is ready, we will notify you via our website and on various social media networks including Twitter and Facebook.”

The continual moving of the goalposts isn’t doing anyone any favours, especially not HTC. The biggest harm is being done by different HTC customer reps all saying different things. HTC needs a consistent response to its customers to avoid confusion and lifting our hopes unnecessarily. I still can’t understand why HTC cannot communicate a rough date of release and then stick to it. The silence isn’t helping anyone.

Via ThisAndroidLife.

1 lamk April 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM

;DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
not surprised anymore))

2 Tariq April 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM

My next phone isn’t gonna be HTC and that for sure, they have wicked phones and all but delaying the update soo many time is just the final straw, and enough is enough. I was gonna get the desire or legend after this but not any more. I’m gonna stick to a manufacturer like Nokia, at least they do what they say and communicate without these silences!

Gonna sell of my HTC Hero on ebay now!

3 M1AU April 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Yep. Really frustrating the whole thing.
They’re lucky that they still produce some of the finest handsets out there, like the Desire. Otherwise I wouldn’t even bother buying a new one off HTC in the near future.

4 Pete April 15, 2010 at 11:56 PM

“and it is scheduled to be released starting at the end of April”

STARTING at the end of April… Im still slightly dubious. However it is a nice surprise especially as the two main dates chucked about are the 16th (a few minutes time) and the 22nd (a bit more realistic)…

Is it really going to be OTA though??? That’s a bit unexpected!

5 Az Mansell April 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM

This whole situation is starting to get on my wick! First its an update in Jan, then Feb, then half way through march, then April 8th, then April 16th and now the end of April? HTC hero owners are now the only Android owners still stuck on 1.5 or windows 3.1 as I’ve come to fondly refer to it… come on HTC, sort it out!

6 123123 April 16, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Damn it. Okay this is annoying. But the be honest: I’m to grateful for this update to be really pissed. So no problem, I will keep waiting.

7 Mystic April 16, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Honestly, I wish HTC and Sprint not say anything to customers until the actual day the upgrade is released. Hearing one date then another, makes it worse. :(

8 disapoimted April 16, 2010 at 2:21 AM

So, any word on Sprint hero update?

9 Joff April 16, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over an OS update? I could understand if 1.5 was crippled in some way and 2.x offered significant improvements and fixes, but as far as I can see it doesn’t.

My Hero on 1.5 works great and I won’t be rushing to upgrade, OTA or otherwise. My experience of upgrading the ROM has resulted in the phone being factory reset, which gets boring after the second time.

10 Hero April 16, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I agree to a point Joff, but proper Bluetooth support is essential. This should have been included out of the box. Even SE updated the Bluetooth stack on the Xperia X10 (running Android 1.6) to include Bluetooth OPP and PBAP profiles, even though it’s only natively supported in Android 2.0. HTC should have done the same.

In saying that though, I think we need to be grateful that HTC is bringing out an update at all. They didn’t have to. Not all phone manufacturers prepare a major firmware release for ageing handsets.

11 David Anderson April 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Ageing ???

I bought the Hero as soon it was out and within the space of a few months 1.6 was and all the new apps (the marker for success or failure it seems in the smartphone sector) suddenly became 1.6+. Now we are getting 2.0+ only apps and frankly its annoying.

Granted they dont have to do it, but I’d expect Google to be pushing all manufacuters to atleast get all handsets to go with the basics of Googles base android OS for no less than a year maybe two.

If this fragmentation of the OS continues people will move away from the “geeky” OS to a much more userfriendly OS like Apples or MS new WM7. Even apples OS is now becoming fragmented but at least my old Touch 1st gen can have the OS (although paid for) just not all the fancy features that the hardware will not support.

I’m not after the live wallpapers or the helicopter view or the friends stream. I just want it to by a bit quicker (code optermized, bug fixes and tweaks) just able to download 2.0+ apps, weather they run well or not thats upto me and proper BLUETOOTH. Why anyone thought missing the best feature from a mobile device was a good idea should be shout. “oh nice picture you managed to take on your ropey camera, can you bluetooth it to me” “erm no but you can get it off the web from flickr twitter facebook or from your email, but not right now cos my Stuff.tv gadget of the year doesn’t do bluetooth like that”.

RANT OVER. get a grip HTC and for that fact Google.

12 Mr. Dan April 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM

@Joff,

the value of my HTC Hero is not given by its OS, but by the applications which run on it.
If you use your phone as it came from the factory, ok, you can be happy.
I am not happy because the newest and greatest apps from Google require at least 1.6.
I’m pissed and not in the mood to go into details here but… come on HTC, make your move.

13 üpöüöopreg April 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM

@Joff: There a lot of SDK changes and new features. Although a lot of apps require Android 1.6 at least. Maybe you don’t have really used your Hero? ;)

14 M1AU April 17, 2010 at 1:28 AM

@David Anderson, I couldn’t have said it better. Thank you.

15 Joff April 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM

To be honest I had overlooked the Bluetooth support (or lack of) – I have tried to connect a few times myself but gave up, so glad to hear this is resolved in later OS releases but it’s still not a killer app for me.

@David Anderson, very good point fantastically raised. Google and/or the Android team are massively risking a scenario where handsets are running so many different flavours of Android that consumers get bored with having to constantly chase OS releases.

@üpöüöopreg, quite possibly :) I’m not a “power user” by some standards, but I do think I put the phone through it’s paces.

16 Juan April 19, 2010 at 2:56 AM

I did not buy HTC Hero for Android 2.1. It’s just the perfect phone for me with or without it. I’ll still wait for the update though, 2.1 it’s something extra from HTC and im very gratefull for this.