Oh dear. HTC delays Android 2.1 Hero update to June

by Hero on April 21, 2010

in Firmware

HTC Hero Eclair UpdateThis is going to get ugly. HTC has apparently confirmed with TechRadar that European HTC Hero owners will not see the mythical Android 2.1 update until June. Yes, you read that right, another TWO month wait. This is the statement they received from HTC:

“HTC will be providing a free update to Éclair for European HTC Hero variants. Starting in June, anyone owning an HTC Hero will receive an initial preparatory update, shortly followed by the full Éclair update. For the full update, we would recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan, otherwise standard data charges may apply.”

Ouch. Obviously, as we already bought the handset, we are no longer deemed a priority by the company. That’s the only conclusion I can come to. The statement also reads “starting from June” that means the company will only barely stick to its H1 2010 timeline for the update.

This news came about in a Google press conference this morning to announce Google Maps Navigation in the UK. Google confirmed that Navigation won’t be hitting the HTC Hero until June, which prompted the statement from HTC.

If this news turns out to be true, I am quite shocked. I always felt (and still do) that we should be grateful for such a substantive upgrade, but the way the whole process has been communicated is of the lowest grade. More than anything, HTC will lose the trust of a lot of consumers who will think twice about choosing a HTC phone the next time around.

Via TechRadar.

1 modo April 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Moved from iPhone to the HTC Hero.
I will never be buying a HTC phone again.

2 Paul Walton April 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Bloody hell! I can’t believe this. I want HTC to take the Hero customers more seriously. I want to stick with HTC, but the lack of response and customer care from them on issues like this makes me think twice. It would actually be ok if they explained why. But they do not communicate this.

3 Gavin Bradshaw April 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I feel completely let down by HTC and Orange.

I did a huge amount of research on my new Hero in December, and I specifically asked Orange when buying it about 2.1, and was told it was due within a month. (OK my bad for believing)

I have been with Orange for 9 years, and feel completely let down as clearly as soon as renewed my contract, they no longer cared. And HTC don’t care about customers as soon as they buy the phone.

It’s all about getting new customers. Sigh.

4 t April 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I wish people would get over this, just a little bit ;) Yes, it’s annoying having to wait so long for an update (particularly with dates moving all over the place) but seriously, Nokia, Symbian, Blackberry, apple – phone manufacturers have always seemed unreasonably slow to update firmware on handsets that aren’t the current big thing.

I don’t miss trust HTC, I’m actually quite happy that they’ve made a phone that works well enough for me to not really care about the update. I added in a custom ROM from MoDaCo and it flies along, I’d love the extra features in some apps, and the 2.1 exclusive stuff, but I’m not that bothered really.

Remember, HTC gave us Sense, and showed us that Android can actually look quite good.

5 ginge April 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I bought this phone on the expectation that the nav would be available in short order. More fool me but the way HTC have continually pissed people around is pathetic and I’ll be damned if I buy anything else from them.

iphone 4.0 for me (and a new satnav :( )

6 Ben Smith April 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM

This is just pathetic. There have been unofficial 2.1 updates for months now. When we are already in late April, to pull the release now *and* to do it only in the response to an information leak from another source is just shoddy at best.

Is this delay for technical reasons – no, of course not. Technically 2.1 could be put on the phones tomorrow. Is it because HTC are hoping that people wanting 2.1 will get the Desire / Legend etc rather than getting the Hero and then an update to 2.1 – of course.

Right, I’m going to work out how to root my phone and install this myself. Thankfully it’s an OEM so shouldn’t be an issue – I hope.

7 Paul Walton April 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Can I suggest that all HTC Hero users contact HTC direct. Follow this link and make your complaint known – http://www.htc.com/uk/cs_mail.aspx

I posted the following to them – I have just read that HTC have yet again delayed the 2.1 update to the Hero users. We will not get this until June.

Can HTC please make a formal announcement as to why this update is not being released? I am getting incredibly annoyed at HTC and whilst I love the products, I am thinking of leaving because of the blanket of silence the company has on such matters. I want to support HTC as a user, but the after care and lack of communication from HTC formally is really bad. You must do better.

Can I please implore you to pass this onto your superiors so that they understand the mood of the HTC Hero users.

A very very frustrated HTC Hero user.

PEOPLE POWER!!!!! :-)

8 Dave Spanner April 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Wow get a grip people.

Every Android/Hero forum seems to be going wild about the lack of 2.1, but do any of you actually need anything from 2.1 that’s not in 1.5?

I want 2.1, but only to have the latest firmware. There isn’t anything in it that makes me so desperate to upgrade.

9 Paul Walton April 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I also sent a comms following this link – http://www.htc.com/uk/about_htc_bymail.aspx

Bombard them with your frustrations!!!!!

Do it.

10 Wladek April 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, I thought HTC Hero would be better than iPhone. That’s maybe true, but Apple is better than HTC. I will not buy HTC phone again.

11 mg April 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

This is a real disappointment. An April release would have already been late, but June…!
I love the Hero, but HTC’s working hard to make me regret the purchase.

@t
“…they’ve made a phone that works well enough for me to not really care about the update.”
Unfortunately the problem is not whether it works well or not. 90% of the new apps released in the last months (especially the cool ones) require 2.0 or above to run. Being on 1.5 feel s like being left behind by the Android train.

12 Christoph Gaunersdorfer April 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Well, looking forward for new iPhone then. Probably it will be out before HTC manages to provide us Hero owners with Eclair.

13 Dave Spanner April 21, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Yeah, i want all the apps that you can get.

It’s not about firmware for firmware reasons, it’s because i want the apps and I want the upgrade they have over promised.

14 dave April 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM

This probably isn’t htcs fault directly, euro carriers are morons when it come to firmware updates, especially orange.

15 Christoph Gaunersdorfer April 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Sorry for double post, but the following makes it even more ridiculous:

2.2 is supposed to be released around May 19th …

16 Myke April 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Some of the latest apps will only run on 2.1. This is the only reason I really care about the upgrade. This entire process would have been much better if no release date “guesses” would have be thrown out. Major mistake.

17 Brian Morrison April 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I have to confess, if I’d known about this when my Nokia broke and I bought a Hero in late December 2009, I would have found a stop gap replacement and got a Desire.

My Hero is now incredibly sluggish, sometimes it takes over 2 minutes to play the sound for incoming messages or Tweets, it regularly decides not to run time-based things like backups, or sound alarms. I like it as a phone and for its features, but there is no way that you can claim that Android 1.5 is anything like bug-free enough for heavy daily usage.

Had HTC come clean at MWC and said that the Hero update wouldn’t land until June then I would have groaned and said “well, OK” but now they have made me think it was March, then April, then May and now it’s moved to potentially almost 2 months later than the last statement.

I think they should post an official announcement on their web site and then not try to wriggle out of hitting this very delayed target date.

18 Sapaka April 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Sad sad sad…
I feel disapointed, let down, despised, etc.
My next phone was supposed to be a HTC but seeing their policy towards their customers, I know now you can’t trust this compagny!
HTC, king of disapointment!

19 Paul Shaw April 21, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I had the choice of HTC and Iphone and picked the HTC because i loved my tytn2. Personnally i think htc can stick this Hero up their A**. The support is terrible, the response when you email them is a standard message. The company was built on the respect and loyalty of their customers, but they do not belive that it is a 2 way street. They have No respect and No loyalty. If they can’t be bothered with us they why shoudl we be bothered with them. Its a kind of ” thanks for buying our products, now go away and leave us alone”. i for one will never buy or recommend an HTC to anyone ever. If you don’t care then nor can I. GET STUFFED HTC

20 M1AU April 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM

No, seriously WTF? This is customer support at it’s worst. Thanks HTC! >:(

21 Arthur April 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Is the American/Sprint HTC Hero still getting the update in late April/early May?

22 j April 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Can you see firms like Apple and Nokia treating their customers with such disregard over similar matters? If someone asked me if they should buy an HTC phone I would have to say no. The whole feel of HTC is to be fair, second rate, Shame I thought they were on to a winner against Apple!

23 Matt April 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM

@Arthur I’m wondering the same thing, though if they delay it for Europe it seems like they’d run into similar problems that would cause a delay for U.S. too. Not sure what would be different on deployment between the two geographies — maybe just language translation?

On Twitter @TaintedGreen

24 tim April 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Had nokia e71 before hero. During 18 month nokia released 3 firmware upgrades for the phone, including free navigation licence and so on. It looks like that I will jump again to nokia brand and amazing android OS won’t be a reason to stick to the HTC brand. damn you HTC

25 Vin April 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM

That’s it. I will never buy a HTC product again.

26 Alex April 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Buying HTC was a mistake I won’t repeat… I’ll gladly switch to iPhone !

27 meego April 21, 2010 at 7:30 PM

My first and last HTC. Take me home, Steve!

28 gaz April 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I need this update to do app development, am really disappointed in HTC and will probably not be buying another one. HTC have really let all the hero owners down here…….

29 Peter April 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I am appalled by the lack of support HTC shows for its customers…
My past phone was a Nokia n82. In the 18months I had it I had two major firmware updates that added many extra features besides bug fixes. One minor firmware update (to fix a camera bug, nothing serious like unusable Bluetooth etc..) had to be delayed, the day before it was due they made a statement saying that they had problems with the fix disabling the video option so they have pushed back the update a month.
No body kicked off because they knew they were working on it and they knew the exact date it was due.

I will not be getting another HTC branded handset again. I have already warned off 10 people and that number is sure to grow as the hero’s cost is falling.

I will not be buying HTC again based on just the fact they seem happy they have got my money and they don’t need to deal with me again.

My upgrade is due in August, currently I am looking forward to Nokia’s future releases and I am eyeing up the latest iPhone 4g.

I have never cared about iPhones because the user interface seemed bland and had seen horror stories about customer support… but f**k me.. if the least of my worries is everything being displayed in one giant list but I will get updates and feedback from the company, how can I complain??

I love the android operating system its just a shame that one of the main handset companies that use it are incompitent, useless, silent types that are more interested in releasing 200 new devices a year than trying to keep last years handset owners happy…

Good bye HTC… it’s been…. an experience…

30 stef April 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Yep same here. I’m dumping HTC for good. Previous phone was also a HTC with WM2003se never got an update for that one to WM5.
HTC YOU SUCK !!!

31 HTC shafts consumers April 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM

This is what I think about it.

32 cewoli April 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM

My next phone will definitely be Iphone. I hate HTC.

33 Wite_Noiz April 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Well, I must be the only person who is actually happy with my Hero…
I bought it out-right and it’s done me well. Sure, Eclair would be a nice upgrade, but I certainly didn’t expect to be getting major OS upgrades throughout the life-cycle – none of my previous phones ever did.

I played with an unofficial 2.1 on the Hero, but it felt sluggish and I missed Sense.
I hope HTC prove me wrong, but I’m not convinced that the Hero is enough to do all the fancy extras 2.1 brings.

Personally, I’m going to move on to the Desire – I consider HTC hardware to be far superior to any other, and now they have a half-decent camera with a flash, they’re really fighting. If only the Desire’s specs were in the Legend’s body…

34 rhysew April 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Hmmm… UK – Ireland Support (Tech) replied today to a question regarding zero wifi connectivity of my Hero with Zoom X6 router. They replied “You will be pleased to hear that you will be able to download android 2.1 will be available to download very soon and with this you will be able to get onto your wifi. Unfortunately I am not allowed to give out exact release dates but you will not have to wait too long. Kind regards HTC Technical Support Team.

Incidentally I bought a Sky branded Netgear DG834GT wifi router off eBay for less that £10, flashed it with Netgear firmware and now get a reliable 3+ MB/s download speed to my Hero.

35 will April 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Any word on the Sprint hero?

36 fx20002 April 22, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I will never be buying a HTC phone again.

37 rui April 22, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Root! Root! Root! Support dev’s … fuck HTC ;)

38 Shafting Customers Is Fun! April 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Think this pretty much sums it up…

39 Ben April 22, 2010 at 3:16 AM

As sucky as it is, I can’t wait to see all the people jumping ship to Apple complaining about them in a few months. I chose an Android phone for its freedom of use, which I have. A manufacturer delay on firmware is nothing compared to the shafting Apple customers happily accept.

40 phoenix April 22, 2010 at 3:24 AM

I’m totally down!
What’s sick is HTC never made an official announcement, so they can delay it again and again w/o any trouble.
They never take us users as a shit.

41 HTC shafts consumers April 22, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Now that I’ve seen seen the new dell line up. I know what will be my next phone.

42 LKS April 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM

My Hero is crying….

43 ankero April 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Just updated to Villain ROM 5.2 with enclair. Works perfectly, so if you are eager, just get a custom ROM to compensate…

44 Alex April 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM
45 cenov April 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I hope there would be more Android phones in my country after my 2 year contract ends. If so that will be the first and last HTC phone I buy.

46 MikhailCompo April 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I agree with all the posts above – HTC deliberately delaying upgrading the Hero ROM is to try and get people to upgrade their hardware.

I am going to flash my phone with a custom ROM. Look at all the different ones available!!

List of Android 2.1 ROMs

Newbie Guide to Install a Custom Rom

Make sure you pay attention to the guide – and good luck

47 Laut April 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM

2.1 for Hero in June? WTF ??? Enough promises. Тever in my life I will not buy products of HTC!

48 Shaun April 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Just received an answer from HTC regarding this- they told me that it would be rolling out STARTING the END of June.
So we’ll be lucky to get it by the beginnning of July.

49 Hero April 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Just a thought, but maybe the two-month delay is a result of HTC giving us Android 2.2 rather than 2.1. Or am I being too optimistic! :p

50 rui April 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM

2.2 ? Ahaha sure.. sure .. maybe they will delay one more year to give you 3.0 ..
Lol sorry but you make no sense…

And people stop with illusions .. there will not be an official HTC update
Wanna bet ?
Im saying this since first rumour release date :)

Well .. wait till june and you see what im talking ;-)

51 Dj Tukancheez April 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM

@Hero: I wish this was a true!

Anyway,
HTC Hero is my first and definitely the last HTC.

If only, I spent more money and bought the Google’s Nexus One, damn… :-/

52 Peter April 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Interesting idea… if they announce that is what is going on I think it may win some people back as the hero will once more be at the front end of things.

However, if they do announce this and still push it back Again I think they will have definitely lost any support they may have clawed back from the move and basically made things far far far worse….

I’m still angry that we missed 1.6 to ‘try and get 2.1 out faster… if we had 1.6 by now personally I wouldn’t have felt so strongly about this… but 1.6 getting Google navigation the same day our update was pushed back was taking the piss tbh…

53 get faster April 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM

^^^

i hope so . but . i don’t thinks so

54 Pier April 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM

That’s it.
Getting the iphone 4 when it comes out. Bye bye HTC and Android.

55 Hero April 22, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I’m just trying to understand why it would be delayed for two months, when chatter pointed to an imminent release. Also, what happens if Sprint Hero owners get their update at the beginning of May as suggested? That would really start to rile European HTC Hero owners.

I fear that the delay is purely a ploy on HTC’s part to get current Hero owners to upgrade to newer hardware, after all much of the Android 2.1 Sense UI work has already been done on the Legend and Desire.

56 Alexey April 22, 2010 at 3:08 PM

bought the second HTC Hero being sure that the firmware is the subject to release in april!
and got: 2nd HTC has yellow screen with incorrect white balance and NO FIRMWARE.
will never buy HTC again

57 Alan April 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I asked the T-Mobile UK Help team on Twitter ( @TmobileUKhelp ) if they knew anything about this …. they replied saying they’d ask the “Handset Team” and let me know.

They’re usually quite quick at responding to questions etc

58 lonix April 22, 2010 at 5:55 PM

HTC Costumer Service told me that i was getting the update for the gsm hero late april, this is my 5th HTC Phone so far, but in the period ive had the HTC Hero (since release), there have been only 1 minor patch for the phone, on the other part a 3yo phone (iPhone 1G) have recived 3 major patches and shit loads of minor once, and its still suppored, my experience with HTC is that when a phone hits the shelf, they ingnore they ignore the product and let it die.

59 Piotr April 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM

This is definitely my first and last HTC. Don’t get me wrong. I really like Android, but HTC’s client approach and stupid details like incorrect implementation of AVRCP just makes me angry I didn’t wait for SE Experia X10 or something… Never again!

60 Vladimir April 23, 2010 at 5:04 AM

This petition is addressed to the company’s High Tech Computers.

We, users of Android smartphone HTC Hero protest against the policy pursued by HTC on a firmware update to HTC Hero Android 2.1! How much can you feed us with promises? why the update has already been postponed several times, despite the officially declared terms??

Because of this attitude to the most loyal to your customers, you lose potential and existing customers for your products. Across the Internet distributed indignant cries of the holders of outstanding communicator HTC Hero! We require you to fulfill your obligations on time and responsibility for your same pledge!

HTC, Respect your customers!

Otherwise we Stop RESPECT YOU!

Sincerely,

The Undersigned (sign here — http://www.petitiononline.com/a6262/petition.html)

61 Bandroid April 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM

At last.

I get an information about the exact date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTF4-FbpxA

(source: a pdaplus.hu comment)

62 Alan Smith April 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I emailed HTC yesterday to ask when the Hero might get Android 2.1

They replied earlier today:

hi Thank you for your enquiry about 2.1 We understand that now that a phone running Android OS 2.1 is available that you are excited to get an update for your Hero. We are still hard at work building Sense for this new version but we expect to have the upgrade finished and ready to go soon. Please understand that it takes time to customize any Android version to ensure you have the intuitive experience Sense provides, and we hope you can be patient for just a little while longer. If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you. Best regards, lee HTC

63 vmlinuz April 23, 2010 at 5:00 PM

@rui
I agree, I dont think there will be an update either. The only choice will be to root the phone and install a custom rom.

64 Robert April 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM

HTC is dead to me. Never again!

65 Lex April 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM

So it looks as though we’ll have to wait until (late) June for our next delay to be announced.

At this stage it would be better for HTC to just come clean and admit that they are no longer offering support for the Hero, and that the handsets android 2.1 update is (and maybe always was) just a myth, these constant delay’s only serve to make them look incompetant.

HTC Hero, My first and last HTC phone!

66 Jan April 24, 2010 at 8:27 AM

This is strictly business move from HTC !!! And my next phone is ………. definitely not HTC ….

67 vmlinuz April 24, 2010 at 10:22 AM

This was easy, I’m running 2.1. Rom: Legendroid 1.0.1 Final, Legend 2.1 Port. It works great on the Hero.

68 Edu April 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM

CHECK THE “HTC! Stop lying to us!” ONLINE PETITION!

69 Lyer April 26, 2010 at 2:55 AM

shit

70 asdf April 26, 2010 at 6:21 AM

cheater!!

71 asdasd April 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM

HTC ? NOOOOOOOOO

72 banglalad April 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Stop being silly boys and girls HTC is not going to die
HTC makes The best phones and with Android operating
Software they are best unfortunately business dictates they move on. I have spent 200.00 pounds on hero two months ago and love to see the update I will keep it for. At a year then move on HTC 4G.

73 shamir April 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting A JOKE.. I am a developer and if i told my clients the date is going to be push back and back and back i wouldn’t have any clients full stop.. This is why Apple have a more following… The customer service is great. When creating the New OS the should have been working on how to update the older phones and give specific time scales when that would be achievable… Its such a pity HTC and Google aren’t more organised as the phones are the best on the market.. but customer service has a lot to be desired.

74 Darren April 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I’m also disappointed about the delay, however I still think that Android 1.5 is superior to iPhone OS. Apple users still can’t multitask or even do simple things such as use their 32gb phone as a portable Hard drive! I’m pretty frustarted as I want to use google navigation and sense but the best things come to those who wait…as long as they don’t have to wait too much longer:-)

75 long john April 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM

What a load of pampered little babies… may/june/July whatever, I don’t think it will kill any of you to wait a couple of months for a slightly different mobile phone interface… or perhaps these comments are in jest and I have lost the humour. Argh.

And all this crappy nonsense about Apple being a fabulous customer focused company. Perhaps only the disgruntled inadequate use the comment boxes?

76 Gary April 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Another two months delay?!? This is getting ridiculous – I’m losing patience with HTC now. I initially loved my phone, but the fact that there should be better apps and a better UI available on my Hero / G2 Touch and HTC can’t either provide or meet scheduled dates for these updates is making it difficult to be loyal… I really like Android, but I’m seriously considering rooting now or at the very least getting a Nexus One with Vodafone when it becomes available… come on, HTC – sort it out or lose me!

77 banglalad April 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Come all you big babies let’s get together and have mass crying session in six months time hero will be dead due to old age.

78 LycraLout May 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Not good. Very bad in fact. I got the Hero because it was flagship. It’s not quite as good as I thought it would be but never mind, Android gets updated periodically. Oh… unless you have a Hero it appears.

This is bullsh*t. Fed up with it. Should’ve stuck with Sony.

79 Chris June 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM

I’m unsatisfied that I upgraded my hardware (G1>G2) 6 months ago, and downgraded my software (2.1>1.5) in the process. This is frankly, absurd.

80 pascal November 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM

This is way past june, any development?

81 szvtomxh April 10, 2013 at 4:49 AM

wlsn [url=http://www.beatssolosale.biz/]cheap beats by dre pro[/url] [url=http://www.beatsbydreheadphones.biz/]beats by dre studio[/url] rxlo
[url=http://www.beatssolosale.biz/]http://www.beatssolosale.biz/[/url] [url=http://www.beatsbydreheadphones.biz/]beats by dre[/url] gsyr
[url=http://www.beatssolosale.biz/]http://www.beatssolosale.biz/[/url] [url=http://www.beatsbydreheadphones.biz/]beats by dre studio[/url] dymi
[url=http://www.beatssolosale.biz/]cheap beats by dre headphones[/url] [url=http://www.beatsbydreheadphones.biz/]beats by dre studio[/url] bddx

xthn
lpqg
ofru [url=http://www.beatssolosale.biz/][/url] [url=http://www.beatsbydreheadphones.biz/][/url]