White HTC Hero’s changing colour?

by Hero on April 22, 2010

in News,Problems

White HTC Hero’s changing colourA CrunchGear reader recently sent in a picture of his white HTC Hero that seems to change colour as the phone heated up. He sent it HTC to get a change of chassis on March 7, but to date has still not had it back (great customer service HTC).

As I changed from a 1st gen iPhone to an HTC Hero I was very satisfied with it. Until it started getting very hot and turned into a redish color as well. While HTC told me to send it in, which I did on March 7, and they will replace the chasis I still dont have it back. As I was thinking about the Desire or Evo 4G I am really sad about the way how HTC treads their customers. So, I might wait for the iPhone 4G now.

Has anyone else with white HTC Hero handsets had this issue? Click through for a larger picture of the image after the break.

White HTC Hero’s changing colour

1 M1AU April 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Nope, mine isn’t that white as in the beginning, but far from being that red as seen in the picture.

2 Torsten April 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Yes I have a similar issue with my white Hero. The back has changed color to brown or dark orange in the shape of the battery, so I’m pretty sure the material ist heat sensitive. Not really happy with as you can guess ;)

3 gregDT April 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Yup, mine was worse though – it went PINK! Well a sort of pearl white. I put that down to a crystal clear skin I used. I assumed that it was something to do with sun-light and the plastic of the skin. Seems I may have been wrong. Anyway I flogged it to a girl who was delighted to have the worlds only pink HTC Hero and am now the happy owner of a dark grey Desire.

4 SirPsycho April 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM

yes, my chamaleonic hero is changin’ his colour and I hate it. it’s like dirty, i’have searched to change the fascia but is necesary to cut and fix the screen bus (it’s a botched job too risky for me). Unfortunaly for me, Orange Spain do not provide dark gray version :-(
Please, if any body knows any method to clean or if HTC gives a solution please post it.
THANKS

5 Drotti April 23, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Yep same here. It’s reddish brown and I’m not so happy about it.

6 MeanEYE April 23, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Yeah. Mine didn’t go brown but it changed colors noticeably (compared to the search/back buttons).

Anyone knows how to deal with this? Sending my phone to HTC is out of the question, since most likely I’ll either never going to get it back or they’ll keep moving return date.

7 Another satisfied customer April 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM

This will only go away with the Android 2.1 firmware >:-) So, never.

8 Max April 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Just to let you know… even my grey Hero has discolorations at the back (battery and stuff). Also seems to be heat-sensitive.

9 elmo April 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

My phone has gone a lovely shade of pink on the front and grey on the back!

10 Pete April 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM

My brothers Hero (graphite colour) is going a sort of light grey on the back cover. But my one is fine?
Both of our trackballs are going a horrible yellowy stained colour, I have tried wiping them but the colour seems to be inside the actual ball itself….

11 botogol May 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

my pink phone went yellowy brown. but the discolouration has faded since