Most Android users still running v1.5 (Cupcake)

by Hero on May 4, 2010

in Firmware,News,Problems

Android CupcakeIn the latest stats that show the breakdown of how many people are using different versions of Android, you may be surprised to know that Android 1.5 is still the most prevalent. According to the statistics, 37.2% are running Android 1.5, with Android 2.1 in second place at 32.4%. Android 1.6 isn’t far behind at 29.6%.

What the numbers do highlight is that fragmentation in the Android ecosystem is a big issue. Most of those running Android 1.5 are us HTC Hero owners, whilst Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 and HTC Magic users make up those on Android 1.6. The lucky ones running Android 2.1 are those with HTC Desire, HTC Legend or Nexus One handsets.

Let’s just hope Google finds a way around this fragmentation issue so that in the future, there isn’t half the people running Android who can’t access the latest apps (like the official Twitter app).

Android Stats

Via TechCrunch.

1 Anthony May 4, 2010 at 9:35 PM

The solution is simple. Google should give HTC a massive kick up the ar5e and force them to release Éclair for the Hero. Simples!!!

2 M1AU May 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

@Anthony, I second that!

3 HTCHeroowner May 5, 2010 at 6:52 AM

With respect to the update to 2.1 for the Hero; Endgadget are highlighting further rumours about it beiing available to US owners of the Sprint version of the Hero, from Best Buy, and that it will be available to download from the website by the end of this week. Not much help for those of us elsewhere in the world though.

4 John May 5, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I’ve got a t-mobile hero and I am not surprised at all! Waiting for the upgrade for months now, it will be a long time before I choose another htc phone…

5 Sad Sad... May 6, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Its definitely a good news.. but it came too late~~ guess what.. Every single Hero users are going to get the new awesome iphone that is coming out in June.. we’ve waited for so long… we’ll wait for an other month and never have to wait again~!! I don’t care if you update it to 3.0 or 4.0 now

6 David May 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Of course this is the way it is. Many people who started on 1.5 have ditched it, or are stuck with it because we can’t afford to shell out the money for a better phone (which after this experience is NOT going to be Android or htc). I really want what Google does to come out ahead of ipod and ms, but this phone is the most frustrating phone I have ever had. It has some fun toy apps, but as a phone, it is crap. And the business tools are nearly worthless. I wish I had my old Windows phone and was back on Verizon. This thing is buggy as hell with force closes and missed calls and delayed voice mail. Why would I upgrade to another android If this is what I am to expect from Google?