Sprint Hero Android 2.1 update now due on May 21?

by Hero on May 12, 2010

Sprint HeroOkay, I am officially getting bored with the speculation surrounding the Android 2.1 update for the HTC Hero and today we have another date to add to the mix. There is another Best Buy screenie doing the rounds that suggests the Android 2.1 update for Sprint users will now land on May 21.

Yes, you all have the right to be sceptical, after all I don’t know how many dates have come and passed over the last few months. Personally, I’ll only believe this update exists once I see it officially hitting the HTC website.

Sprint Hero Android 2.1 update now due on May 21

Via Android Central.

1 Matt May 12, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I’m hoping that this date is a reality, especially considering our cousin Droid Eris users over on Verizon have already started to see their update!

2 Christophe May 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM

This is simply getting ridiculous and very boring :(
Likewise, I won’t believe in it until I see it on my phone (which, btw, gonna be my first and last HTC).

3 Frank Groeneveld May 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Verizon is rolling out its update since yesterday. See the official HTC Twitter account.

4 mjanosko May 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Just in time for me to get a full month out of it before switching back to an iPhone. I wouldn’t mind the delays on the 2.1 update if I had received any sort of bug-fixes to glaring and obvious problems since, oh, November.
First and Last HTC phone, period. First and last Android phone until there is some sort of uniformity between releases and patches.

5 RefuseBun May 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I’m happy for you and sad for myself.
I will probably have to wait until June for HTC to release the update for the European Hero and on top of that T-Mobile will take 2 months to patch it to their standards.
Fortunatly I’ve got plenty of time to wait (as long as they release the patch before February).

Basically – “waaaaaaa” :’(

6 Tom May 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Do they mean may 21, 2011? :]

7 Onyx_Star May 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I’m just not believing it anymore. This update is being delayed b/c HTC & SPRINT are expecting customers will be so disgruntled, that when the EVO drops, ppl will buy that.

8 mjanosko May 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM

So, Sprint didnt subsidize the Hero, so it cost $600 (at least for early adopters) and they are already talking about how the EVO will also not be subsidized (even if it is, anyone who bought a Hero [launched in October] will not be eligible for an upgrade anyways). So, HTC/Sprints big idea is to charge $600 for a phone, then not support it and hope their customer base switches to ANOTHER $600 phone instead of just saying ‘F you, HTC’. Brilliant. I hope that works out well for them.

9 Alan Smith May 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Well …. if they don’t provide an official upgrade to 2.1, there’s always the unofficial route … or should that be root ?!

10 dan May 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, root is required.

11 Steve Hall May 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Perhaps you might to vent your frustration to http://www.htc.com/uk/cs_mail.aspx