Sprint Hero Android 2.1 update finally released!

by Hero on May 19, 2010

Sprint HTC HeroThis is the day a lot of HTC Hero users have waited for, well at least those in the US. Sprint has officially released the Android 2.1 update for the Sprint HTC Hero. The new update will also bring updates to the Sense UI, enhanced corporate email support as well as a number of minor bug fixes.

Hopefully this means that European HTC Hero owners running GSM updates will get the update very soon too. For those Sprint owners who have updated, we’d love to hear your thoughts on improvements and performance in the comments below.

1 MeanEYE May 19, 2010 at 12:04 PM

So Sprint before Europe… If we have to wait for July am selling my phone and buying N1. One thing is for sure… am never gonna buy another HTC.

2 lamk May 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Yaaaay. Ol, same for Europe, please.

3 Seboss May 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

But isn’t N1 manufactured by HTC anyway?

4 Jim May 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM

no one ever mentions the uk sim free update? thought as i forked out the most for the handset i’d be one of the first to get the update ? Carriers dishing out the update first ? before HTC direct customers ? oh well, at least it’s available and someone’s getting it, Hurry up Europe ! uk in particular ;-)

5 HeroBristol May 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM

haha, yep it sure is :P

6 todd May 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Yes, the N1 is made ny HTC, I sent my N1 back tio them because of the screen issues, now I’m back using my Hero, this phone is 100x easier to type on. Kinda glad I sent the N1 back.
Don’t get me wrong it is definatly the better phone, but if you can’t type without checking every word for errors… check the posts on thier forum @ Google.com/phone you will see

7 Asian Chuck Noris May 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

How about 2.1 for Hero in Asia? Not a whisper about when it may come out here…

8 MeanEYE May 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM

@Seboss: It is… but the main difference is that N1 runs vanilla Android which is maintained and updated by Google. HTC makes really nice and good phones but their support for customers is terrible. I don’t think this business model sell-and-forget-about-them will last long.

Google I/O is about to start and everyone expects announcement of FroYo 2.2. Some benchmarks say it’s up to 450% faster than 2.1. Do you have any idea when HTC will get us, Hero owners, the 2.2 version. My guess is sometime in 2013.

And I tried contacting them for number of times. They constantly repeated the old story: “we are adjusting SenseUI to new android system”. My ass. SenseUI is just an application like any other just more build-in. And it makes you wonder. How come, a single persona from XDA-Developers *CAN* make 2.1 firmware with SenseUI and the whole HTC team can’t in these 6 months (or whatever the time is). Just a bunch of excuses.

9 MeanEYE May 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I’ve just stumbled upon this link: http://tinyurl.com/y3j7ptb
Their reaction, kind of describes how I feel about whole this thing.

10 Johnny Awkward May 19, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

11 deadmanjones May 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM

LOL, pay attention 007.

12 Marco Rossi May 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I hope that the update will be soon released also for the european version!

13 afwfewf May 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM

yes, but they are not responsible for customer support

14 Rob Boekee May 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM

T-Mobile users post on here, we should try and pressure T-Mobile UK into giving us an update as they don’t seem to respond unless loads of people hassle them http://forums.t-mobile.co.uk/discussions/index?page=forums&topic=80103803b2f8a6f0126c25b2e74007839

15 Vlad May 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Does anybody know if this official update finally has the same “software number” as leaked one?

16 usz May 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM

@MeanEYE
N1 is produced by HTC, so better don’t buy it…

17 mike May 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

So is this the exact same release as the leaked version?

18 Caue May 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Is this version work on standard htc hero?

19 Janko Hrasko May 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM

HTC < an idea

Why don't you start charging for updates? You can still sell new phones AND support handsets with older hardware …. but keep up with vanilla releases!

20 Perry Huntley May 20, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I have the update installed on my HTC Hero. Wish I had backed up my data better, but lesson learned. Honestly, I don’t see what all the hoopla was about anyway. My sense was what most people wanted was to install apps on the SD card. We’ll see just how well that works on the next update….I am pretty new to smartphones so I’m not sure how to tell if the apps are installing to the SD card or to the internal memory. I’ve noticed some small tweaks here and there, but all in all I don’t see any major changes. I had plenty of room for all the apps I wanted before…oh yeah, I have Google Goggles now which I could not get before….time will tell if I see any noticeable changes….so far, so good. Overall I love the phone, much better than my CrackBerry Storm was!

21 Perry H May 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Here is the list of fixes/enhancements from Sprint Forum announcement:

Fixes:
• Clock widget displaying time for the same city in a different state
• YouTube, “Cannot play video” error
• Intermittent Unable to Receive SMS
• Picturemail “Download Unsuccessful” error
• Clock widget displaying inaccurate times
• Some recurring calendar events display daily after first occurrence
• Text conversations merged/mislabeled
• Emails forwarded from menu option do not include attachments

Feature Enhancements:
• Quick Contact feature.
• Search SMS/MMS
• Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
• Support for double-tap zoom.
• Support for HTML5
• Calendar: Agenda view provides infinite scrolling. Events indicate the attending status for each invitee.
• Bluetooth 2.1
• Out of Office Assistant
• User configurable synchronization windows
• Additional widgets
• Improved Home Tile Navigation

22 Perry H May 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM

A Big thanks to the owner of this blog! Who knows when I would have been notified of this update! Keep up the super work!

23 tommy bahama May 20, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I agree with janko I would be willing to pay quite a lot especially for 2.2 which looks exactly what our phones need. Speed speed speed and apps to sd card which would seriously help the hardware along. Please HTC read this and atleast come out straight and say whether we are getting 2.2 or not.

24 Tom May 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM

What about the flipclock? does it flip already? :D

25 Tam May 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I’m a UK simfree owner and mailed HTC Europe today asking when the update is due… Response below:

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the 2.1 update, Htc will be providing a free update to Éclair(2.1) for European HTC Hero variants.’ starting in June’, anyone owning an HTC Hero will receive an initial preparatory update, shortly followed by the full Éclair update. For the full update, we would recommend using a free wi-fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan, otherwise standard data charges may apply. I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Thank you for contacting HTC. Kind regards. HTC

Sounds like a bit of a different process for Europe?

26 Alistair May 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Lol on my HTC Hero here in the UK, i was about to udate it with all this sprint stuff. Just clocked that Sprint is the North American version. Could of messed my phone up.

The dramas in my life!

27 gSvo May 21, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I’ve waited, and waited, and waited. And now the 2.2 sounds even better than the initial 2.1 pre-expectations.
Great…

Keep up the “pace” HTC.
I’m thinking of selling my HTC Hero. Sheez. Why is Europe so downprioritized? We pay twice as much for the phones as U.S Residents, yet we’re underpri’d..

I’m so TIRED of waiting! / COME ON release the damn update for us “people up east”!

28 Hamish Walker May 21, 2010 at 7:16 PM

UK TMobile G2 Touch:
I went into a TMobile shop today and asked the person when TMobile are intending to release the 2.1 update for the G2 Touch. He told me that it was not going to be until August or September. I resisted the urge to assault him and upon further questioning told me that this was not an official TMobile statement but that he had ‘contacted’ HTC himself and this was how he knew. I have grave doubts as to how true this is but thought it was a) funny (sad) and b) worth putting on here.
Hamish

29 aqua25 May 21, 2010 at 11:13 PM

This afternoon I crushed my G2 touch mobile with a hammer. I do not care if T-Mobile decide to sue me for the outstanding monthly charges as the joy of seeing the back of that frustrating and stressful little box of broken calls and broken promises was worth every penny. My legal defence will be that T-Mobile broke a contractural promise to provide an up date to make the mobile usuable last January.

30 Mongoose May 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Bunch of drama queens.

31 Peter May 25, 2010 at 3:12 AM

People, the long wait is part of the business strategy. The longer HTC makes you wait, the more frustrated you becomes, when you get impatient, your urge to dump your current phone and go ahead to buy the new phones is greater.

If HTC released the new update all at once to the whole world, do you know how many people will hold on to their phones for at least another few months, before they buy the new phones ? It is a fast moving business. In Asia, many young people change phones every year. In the end, the number of people waiting for update is dwindling, either fed up of waiting or just go ahead to buy new phones for the new features.

32 Julus May 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM

When i get bored, i will try to install vanilla 2.1 (2.2). HTC Sense UI is not such a big deal as on VM phones.

33 Alan May 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM

After asking HTC when the UK version of Hero might get 2.1 update, I got the following response …

Hi Alan, Thanks for your email Regarding the Hero 2.1 update I am pleased to tell you that it’s going to be released in June. We are hoping that all the Hero’s will receive the update by the end of June at the latest. I can appreciate that it has taken a while for the update to be released and I would just like to mention if you have a Facebook or Twitter account then you will be able to follow HTC via these sites and we update the pages with all the latest information about future releases and updates. Hope this has helped. Thanks for contacting HTC if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us. Best Regards Sarah G HTC

34 snailfarmer May 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

The 2.1 update ruined my htc hero. the sense Ui is all jacked up – the phone reboots whenever i try to switch phone calls (call waiting) the notification bar has become useless and non responsive and when it will open you cant touch any of the options and get them to work. not a pleasant experience….

j_i*

35 trevor woods May 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Will the upgrade be sent automatically to my hero the2,1firmware ifso will o be notified first and will I need mobile internet acsess

36 trevor woods May 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Can you tell me were the hero beats the iPhone & any gizmos the hero has I should know about thanks

37 trevor wooss May 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Do I need a sin card in my hero to recieve firmware update thanks

38 Alan June 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Latest from T-Mobile UK

“We don’t have a confirmed date yet, but I am confident that you shouldn’t have to wait too long” …..

39 David June 8, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Would definitely make a better paperweight than a phone. This thing is HORRIBLE. I don’t know how it got 4 star average – my hunch is people are reviewing this phone after 2 days with it.

HUGE problems:
1) Drops calls like crazy – part Sprint, but mostly the phone.
2) Almost impossible to hang up the phone after talking – takes a couple maneuvers to do it, so don’t badmouth the person you were on the phone with right after hanging up – chances are you are not hung up!
3) LAG LAG LAG – can you say LAG. Once you do get the phone to hang up it lags so bad it thinks you hit the end call button more than once and redials the person back half the time.
4) Today – my THIRD Hero – Sprint refuses to give me a different phone. Hung up on 4 calls in a row in a matter of 15 minutes.

I like to say good things about products, I love to endorse something. But this phone is so God awful I could no with clear conscience recommend it to anyone.

This is how bad it is: I am going to T-Mobile after Sprint REFUSES to replace this phone with another kind. I am willing to pay the $200 early termination fee to RUN RUN away from this phone and all the mess.

Advice – IF you choose to get this phone with Sprint keep in mind you have only 30 days to exchange the phone for a different kind of phone. After 30 days, even with the extended warranty they will ONLY repair or replace the Hero. If you hate it after 31 days you are out of luck. Sprint actually told me today that they would take it in on trade, give me $80 credit toward the Samsung Moment which I can buy for an additional $320. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Customer service with Sprint and customer appreciation is NONEXISTENT.

They can have my $200 – I will sell the junk phone on Ebay for $275 and use the $75 leftover toward the 3G Slide at T-Mobile.

SPRINT – yes do – Sprint on over to T-Mobile, Verizon or AT&T.