HTC Hero unlikely to get Froyo update

by Hero on May 21, 2010

Android 2.2It seems a bit silly talking of an Android 2.2 (Froyo) update for the HTC Hero, when Android 2.1 (Éclair) update has only just started to hit handsets (at least in the US). However, for those of you wondering if HTC will release the Froyo update for Hero handsets then the answer is most probably no.

HTC apparently said that “most [HTC] phones launched this year will get an upgrade to [Android] 2.2.” This means the HTC Desire, Droid Incredible are almost dead certs to get the upgrade. “As we get closer to readiness, we’ll reveal a full list,” the spokesperson said. It will be interesting to see how quickly HTC can turnaround the Froyo update, especially after the HTC hero debacle. For the full list of new features of Android 2.2 click here.

1 M1AU May 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

This sucks!

2 Tony Hedges May 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

This isn’t as bad as you might think. As a UK Hero owner myself, I am waiting for 2.1. I get that next month (I hope). Then I could upgrade free in November (theres a black Desire out there with my name on it), get a Desire then and it may well come with 2.2 installed.

Most people with a Hero on 18 month contract will be ready for upgrade from October, and will most likely go for a Desire.

3 Duckie May 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

It’s already running on hero. Check video on youtube. Don’t worry :)

4 Paul May 21, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Does anyone know if the Incredible is coming to the UK?

5 cenov May 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM

It’s not such a big surprise to me.

6 Anthony May 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM

This doesn’t really come as a surprise. I’ll just be grateful if I get Eclair. I think I can live without Froyo until my contract expires, where I’ll more than likely go for the successor to the Desire.

7 Pete May 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I expected it as well to be honest…
Look how long it took them to even get close (well, as far as we know) to having 2.1 ready for us…

My upgrade isn’t going to be long after the June upgrade anyway. So I will see what’s going on then.
Considered getting the Desire but that also runs SenseUI so I will be leaving that well alone. also the Legend.

I don’t really want the nexus1 because I keep hearing of 3g issues and the touchscreen but having never used it myself I may have a play with that… at least that is getting updates…

Or Ill just keep using my Hero and port a rooted 2.2 based rom onto it (wont be long what with the SDK being introduced) to get me by until the next ‘Google Phone’ but if that comes with sense as well then I’ll have to have a look at other manufacturers..

8 luca May 21, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I can’t understand how you all want to buy another HTC phone after all this kidding!!! You’ll buy a desire next autumn and certainly remain stuck with 2.2 while new phones will probably have android 3 and HTC won’t surely upgrade desire as it’s doing with 2 for hero
HTC is just shit! do not buy anymore phone from them

9 Brian Morrison May 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM

While it is pretty frustrating to see this delay in, or even lack of, an update to some HTC phones, it’s a case of HTC balancing the effort involved in making the new version for an older phone against the available resource and the bottom line for the company. I don’t think they’ve got the balance right so far, but I do not expect to keep getting updates for ever.

What I would hope is for HTC to realise how much the speed up in the new JIT compiler would benefit the lower spec processors in the Hero and Legend, so maybe we’ll be lucky and the Hero will get 2.2. I’m not betting on this though.

I suspect that as time goes on if people want to keep their Heros then they will move over to rooted phones with ROMs provided by community sources rather than the manufacturer. Android is designed to allow just this sort of approach, and is all the better for it.

10 David May 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

@ Pete – I have to say, I was also concerned about those nexus one issues, but since selling my hero and moving to the nexus one, I haven’t experienced any 3g problems (on o2 network, United Kingdom) or touch screen issues at all with it. Also, after installing the ‘beautiful widgets’ app bringing the sense like clock and weather animations and the phone dialler app, there really isn’t anything about the hero or ‘sense’ that I miss. But ultimately the key factor in my decision was the fact that the nexus one gets all the android updates, and without delay.

11 Aleks May 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I’m a hero owner, im not getting a HTC phone ever again, update stuff sucks way too hard.

Hoping Google will get another handset maker to build Nexus Two, which im then getting.

12 Tom May 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Amen.

13 Steve May 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I have a HTC Hero (GSM) running 2.1, after monhs of delays with the update I gave in and loaded a custom ROM, my phone runs more smothly now than it ever did on 1.5.

14 AnotherSatisfiedCustomer May 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM

For me the whole point of buying an Android phone was: the hardware vendor provides the platform and does the hardware qualification, Google keeps providing OS updates to a certain limit (until hardware limitations are met, fair enough). That was also how the press portrayed the future of Android.
What I see now is: HTC missed the chance to enable users to upgrade easily, they overcomplicate the software adaptation process instead and now I am being told my 1st software upgrade (to come) will also be my last one. That’s like buying a computer with Linux and no way to upgrade your OS even though the creator puts out a new rev each 6 month. It misses the whole point of buying such a device. I will not wait for 2.1 any longer, I think I’ll switch to a 2.2 image rightaway, sooner or later I will have to go that way anyway. Not customer friendly at all.

15 Impatiently Waited... May 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Some good comments above.. Agree, support & upgrades from HTC for early adopters has been appalling.
Seems like ditching Sense UI and going for custom rom is best bet.
Did not expect this phone to have such a short lifespan.
Won’t ever buy anything else from HTC.
Hoping for something great from Sony Ericsson, have never been dissapointed.
If any one that has researched ‘best’ custom roms etc could post some details I would be thankfull.

16 AnotherSatisfiedCustomer May 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM

No 2.2 ROM yet, probably a bit early for that. I will monitor the developments there and hopefully be able to flash my Hero to Froyo as well one day… even if it is w/o Sense then.
Sense is really nice but if the price of this is to be banned from any OS update – no thanks.

17 Lennart June 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM

For all you disappointed Hero owners: please do give HTC a break here. They made a huge mistake on Hero when they decided to create seperate ROMs for every country, and the delays of the update are caused by having to go to Google to get them approved before launch. They will not make this mistake again and all phones after the Hero will not suffer from this.

So while I’m as impatient to get the upgrade as anyone, I am going to go for HTC again. I think that with all it’s faults, the Hero is a magnificent phone. I love Sense, and will love it more when it’s on top of Android 2.1. I might still get a Sense-less Android 2.2 ROM once they become stable though. That 2-5x speed improvement over 2.1 is very impressive. And when my contract is up for renewal, I will get a new HTC Android phone. The alternatives are just inferior. iPhone because of closed structure and lack of hackability, all others because of closed structure and failure to produce great usability.

18 Kram June 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I totally agree with Lennart, I’ve been using HTC phones since my first one (P3600, Trinity) now onto my third phone. If we dont see anything by the end of June I’ll just use a custom rom, there are plenty out there to try. I’ve never had a problem with any of my HTC phones and will buy another when the times comes to change.

19 David June 8, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I do agree with Lennart to a point about the company creating seperate ROM’s, but lets face it,HTC should of though of this in the beginning, in the though process and production of a item, I purchased my HTC the day it came to the UK!( I still haven’t received the 2.1 update OTA, Birmingham).

just under £500 the phone cost me! ( the pay monthly wasn’t available at this point in time) and all updates and roms development time has been slow, and not much information available just hear say though blogs and forums, or the occasional network provider saying maybe we will give a update this month maybe we wont LOL, to be truth full I am not really in mind for the Froyo update, as I have waited long enough for the 2.1!.

HTC phones are amazing! I uses my hero more then my iPhone, but network updates and roms are the worst decision htc has ever made! i don’t believe Froyo we ever see all heros, due to network providers.

20 Will June 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Instead of flaming HTC (fore runners in inovation IMO) root your Hero and install a custom Rom. Why wait for Goolge to do an official release? There are hundreds of stable and very impressive Roms out there. I know, I have tried about 50 of them!

Sence UI is nice but not the begin and end of all. I opt for JIT instead of Sence (as there is a huge speed boost and the two do NOT work together)

As for custom updates, they occur weekly. Have a look here http://hero-roms.blogspot.com/

21 Sucktackular August 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM