Android 1.5 on HTC Hero benched against Éclair and Froyo

by Hero on May 25, 2010

Android 1.5 on HTC Hero benched against Éclair and FroyoThere has been a lot of buzz about Android 2.2 (Froyo) over the last week or so, with one of the major improvements being a performance increase. Whilst Sprint HTC Hero owners have been lucky enough to get the Android 2.1 (Éclair) update to lessen the pain, GSM HTC Hero owners are still waiting.

To rub salt in the wound, Cnet conducted some interesting (albeit not very scientific) speed testing comparing Android 1.5 on a HTC Hero against Éclair and Froyo running on a Nexus One. I know that the test results are likely to be skewed considering the Hero’s slower processor, but the results are still interesting nonetheless.

They conducted two tests, a Java virtual machine speed test along with a JavaScript test. They tested Java using Linpack benchmarks and the result shows a clear distinction between Android firmware. HTC Hero, probably as expected, is propping up the pack.

Android 1.5 on HTC Hero benched against Éclair and Froyo

Javascript was tested using the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark. Smaller is better in this one, hence HTC Hero gets obliterated once again.

Android 1.5 on HTC Hero benched against Éclair and Froyo

Whilst a more interesting test would be to compare Android 1.5, 2.1 and 2.2 all on the HTC Hero, the results still show how much faster the current cream of the crop are compared to a handset less than a year old.

Android 1.5 on HTC Hero benched against Éclair and Froyo

Via Cnet.

1 Bahadir Yagan May 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I am getting 2.299 MFLOPS and 2.36 seconds on my Hero running VillainROM 6.0.1 (based on Android 2.1) I just gave up on the official update today and installed this custom rom. And the the phone feels much faster.

2 Peter May 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Im getting 2.307 on my Hero running Kimera 1.5 (considering getting the latest Kimera end of the week though). Admitedly it’s based on 1.5 but Im happy to stick to it and bitch until HTC release an official 2.1
Then I’ll run a rooted standard 2.1 rom.

I have tried numerous 2.1 roms and all of them dribbled battery too much for me not to mention all of the niggles with bugs. (put it into perspective I get 2 days out of mine easily with wifi on 24/7 and 3days if I turn off wifi overnight. with 2.1 based roms I was getting 1day… occasionally a day and a bit.)
Hopefully the official rooted rom will solve all of those.

3 Peter May 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Also.. Forgot to mention….

It really is interesting how such a new OS and the technology it runs on has evolved in the space of just under a year!

4 Aaran Mansell May 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Is the difference between froyo and eclair really that much? If so that’s mindblowing!

Poor me stuck on a HTC hero on Orange UK!

5 htcheroowner May 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Am running stock 1.5 (eagerly awaiting 2.1) on European, unbranded HTC Hero.
Scores 2.344 MFLOPS and 2.31 seconds.

6 ryan May 26, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Wow that’s some change, any1 no where u can get a gd 2.2 or 2.1 ROM???? And how to root my hero 1.5 on t mobile???

7 sunofa May 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM

is it possible for us to get 2.2 faster if there is no sense ui?

8 Peter May 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I am petty sure that htc won’t release an official 2.2 for the hero…

9 Tom May 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM

♪♫ Parapapapapaa When’s it coming? ♪♫

10 Joe May 31, 2010 at 1:09 AM

It would be nice just to get 2.1 on t-mobile uk

11 ognen May 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Heyy i have t – mobile g2 whit 1.5 rom (Eclair), my phone is so laggy i cant takeit anymore. Please help me and give me instructions how to root my phone whit good custom Rom.

12 pete June 2, 2010 at 11:43 PM

whilst speed is an issue, the other issue is battery time. it’s a shame that the we’re not presented with this info as well as it could be illuminating. I’m happy to forgo some speed for an extra 12 hours battery.

13 Dave June 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Hey it’s the price you pay for getting cutting edge technology! The Hero was the best performer last year when i bought it. It’s good to be a pioneer, but it would be good to get an update to something newer than 1.5 soon please!

In my experience the Hero needs about 45mb+ free on the onboard memory and it runs without much lag! Drop below this which (we all will because you can’t store programs on the sd card!) and it works fine. Not that i want to brag (but i will anyway) I also get two days battery from mine with mobile network switched on and minimal calls, twitter, rss feeds, e-mails, a bit or replica island etc.