Éclair update for GSM HTC Hero’s rolling out today (well at least in Asia)

by Hero on June 4, 2010

HTC Hero Android 2.1It would seem that the long wait for the Android 2.1 for GSM HTC Hero owners may finally be over. HTC has confirmed over its Chinese Plurk account that the Android 2.1 update will be rolling out on June 4th (i.e. today!)

What it doesn’t confirm is whether this is for Asian HTC Hero handsets or whether we’ll see a wider release across Europe too. As soon as we have any kind of confirmation we’ll keep you posted. Check out the translated comment after the break.

From HTC Plurk Account:

On June 4, 2010 to open up the wireless software update, the main update function as follows: Android 2.1 operating system upgrade!

System will continue to send updates prompt, when you receive a system prompt as long as you can by clicking Download or wireless network connection 3G/GPRS way to complete your phone system updates. Note: We recommend you to choose to have free Wi-Fi environment, download the update. If you are currently using 3G network, the download may have to pay the additional cost carriers, please make sure to have unlimited Internet access rates apply for rentals before use.

1 Igor June 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Hope, in Russia, we will get update today too!

2 timmy monkey June 4, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Please please let it be today for Europe!

3 bau June 4, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Next time write immediately Asia in the title :)

Anyway, I really hope it’ll come in Europe soon.

4 Hero June 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM

@bau – So I take it the update is hitting Asian handsets right now?!

5 George June 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Asia here, Éclair not here. :(

As I said on another forum, I’ll only believe it when I see it.

6 Maegoss June 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM

@George: the update is also mentioned in the HTC Taiwan website (http://www.htc.com/tw/support.aspx)

7 Dave June 4, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I have it in UK a few minutes ago. No release notes though.

8 Dmitri June 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Maaan I was excited, until I saw word Asia…
Hope that Russia will get Eclair soon… At least one HTC employee – bet’s me, that the upgrade will be during June…Sooner the better)))

9 jb June 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Seems it will be available next week in the Netherlands which might apply to other European countries too: http://ow.ly/17C2E8

10 mark June 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM

How many hero owners will never buy HTC again & who can blame them They wont gift get another update….only update! Hang your heads in shame HTC Sence as far as updates goes is a bad joke. Disgrace! !!

11 George June 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM

@Maegoss

I realize that it is official, but for me, it is almost the end of June 4th and still nothing. I am in Asia, but not in Taiwan, so I might as well be on Mars as far as this update is concern.

I have simply given up waiting with bated breath for an update. If it happens before my phone becomes totally obsolete, then fine. Otherwise, when the time comes, I will move on to another phone – albeit with a strong bitter taste in my mouth about hTC.

12 Pete June 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I’ve rooted ages ago and am now running ‘Chronos Droid’ fully featured 2.1 update.

I figured if the GSM 2.1 update was anything like the sprint one I’ll be very annoyed if I lost my root permission to a rubbish update.

I won’t be bothering with the official release.

13 Maegoss June 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM

@George: I feel the same way. Currently I think I will never buy an HTC phone again because of the way how the company neglected their Hero customers for so long. I am also a bit disappointed in android as well because of the so many versions (and the lack of the paid part of the android market in my country, Hungary). It sounds good first that android is developing so fast, but it is much more difficult to update the software of a phone than a PC software. Maybe Google should have finished android first before publishing it?

14 John June 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Well I shall just wait for it to arrive, no rush. I cannot believe how many people have got so wound up by all this hype, and how much of it is just rumours! Yes I want the latest and greatest version of Android for my phone, however most of the websites/blogs/forums about Hero 2.1 release have been speculation with only minor snippets of truth in them. It’s not as if the current version on the Hero handset is broken or faulty is it? I’m still very happy with my Hero, great design and great features. Like with all technology it has it’s limits and if there isn’t another ‘big release’ it’s not really a major issue as long as the software functions well with the hardware!

15 Pete June 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM

@Maegoss:
“Maybe Google should have finished android first before publishing it?”
It was finished when it was released… Bugs were found and patches were made available, then features were added and new versions were released. the Same as Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

However. With regards to ditching HTC when I am due and upgrade I agree completely. I will NOT be updating to a phone running android with a stupid framework on top (like the senseUI that HTC uses) because I now Know that it takes a year to get any form of update (even a major update containing lots of bug fixes… like 2.1).

The only possibility HTC have of keeping me as a customer is if the Nexus 1 is still around and getting updated when Im due. Or if they are the manufacturers of the next ‘google phone’.

HTC- good hardware, appalling customer support, rubbish update policies…

16 liam June 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM

no upgrade for orange customers?

17 Pete June 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Clearly says ‘IN ASIA’ in the title…

18 normaplosnk June 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM

@Pete:

Some people use that as an excuse, I’m not even sure HTC officially said that it’s all because of Sense UI.

The thing is, ut’s not Sense UI’s fault. Sense UI consists of two things:

1) a number of app replacements (for dialer, messages etc.) which Android natively supports through it’s “Intent” subsystem.

2) graphical replacements for a few UI controls

1. shouldn’t be an issue, since most parts are compatible to the earlier apps. If you look at the official Hero update, they didn’t change that much for the new Sense UI. As for 2. yeah, there are a few new icons but that’s about it.

Even with the few new Sense features, it’s not a big deal to update. Now, 2.1 came out in December/January… they took 3 months to get the Sense UI done for the Desire and Legend… and now they release it for the Hero with fewer features.

Whatever caused the delay (driver rewriting, kernel problems or as a mere business decision) it’s not the Sense UI. First of all it didn’t take them a year because of Sense… it took them a year because they wanted to upgrade us to 2.1 instead of 1.6 and didn’t see the point in putting extra effort in a 1.6 update with Sense… so in this sense, it’s Sense UI’s fault. It adds a little bit of work so they didn’t release 1.6… but I’m pretty glad that 2.1 is coming to us and that it didn’t end at 1.6.

I’m mad at HTC for not communicating with us and giving us specific dates and information on the update, but it’s not too different to what the other manufacturers are doing. Look at Motorola. The Droid/Milestone is a great device (actually the only Android device with a correctly working multi-touch screen) and got some updates, but aside from that their new phones all have the ultra-ugly MotoBlur UI, and they don’t seem to get updates. Sony Erricson’s device (once a great company with nice devices I reckon) just sucks balls and is stuck on old Android versions. The only viable option is the Nexus One, but now that it comes to Europe it’s too expensive for a device that’s 5/6 months old. And we don’t know what the carriers are doing with it… maybe they are relaying the Google updates and cause additional delay as well.

19 CmdrFire June 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM

@Dave, where do you see the UK updates? There’s nothing on the HTC UK website (I don’t think I’ll get it OTA – I’m running a SEA Hero reflashed to a UK-spec ROM).

20 BenG June 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Fracking finally…

21 CH June 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I bought my Hero last February in good faith the 2.1 update was on it’s way! What a disgusting way to treat customers, I will honestly say that this will be my first and last HTC/Android product.

22 Ieuan June 7, 2010 at 6:11 PM
23 johny June 8, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I already sold my GSM Hero…. Bye bye ….

24 Kiz June 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Pathetic customer service from HTC, it really is. I am so very frustrated and I’m sure everyone else is too (except for those Hero users clever enough to root their device!)

25 MeanEYE June 10, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Well I must say I’ll wait for the darn update. I was so close to rooting my phone a month ago but then I saw how many problems some of the ROMs have. I use this phone really a lot, like second brain so I can’t really afford to have something not working.

Besides, if I waited for months it would be stupid of me not to wait another week. As for 2.2 update, well since that one might not happen for hero I guess I’ll just have to root it. Maybe I’ll buy a new phone… who knows…

26 SA June 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Reponse from HTC I received yesterday, when I asked them when the update was going to happen ..

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the update, I can help you with that. HTC will be providing a free update to Éclair for European HTC Hero variants this month, anyone owning an HTC Hero will receive an initial preparatory update, shortly followed by the full Éclair update. For the full update, we would recommend using a free wi-fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan, otherwise standard data charges may apply Also please download the User guide if you haven’t already done so for your device from the HTC website for some useful information. I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Thank you for contacting HTC. Best regards, HTC

27 VJBENG June 11, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Does somone know how can i install android 2.2 without sense (of course) on my HERO???

28 Pete June 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM

The only way is to download the sdk pack and transfer over the source files like the guy on youtube did.
But phonecalls, sms, wifi, gps, 3g, mms all wont work unless you can do some clever manual coding.

Good luck…

29 lopau June 13, 2010 at 5:58 AM

im in asia and so far no eclair update.. any vids/pics out there showing how the system update in action?

30 VJBENG June 13, 2010 at 7:40 AM

i think i’ll wait for a developer to do it :)

31 Tom June 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Is there a way to install 2.2 (or any else rom) so I can choose if I want the official 1.5 or custom 2.2 rom at every startup?

32 fab June 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I will never buy htc again! will buy iphone 4….iphone again! It also better works with Mac!

33 Alice June 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Dave – Wher’d you get your UK Update from?

34 t0mekk June 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

HTC may surprise us updating Hero to version 2.2

35 Vlad June 15, 2010 at 2:05 PM

t0mekk, I can imagine:
Year 2015:
- Apple introduces iPhone 7
- HTC promises to roll out an update for Hero to version 2.4 (up from 1.5) in next 2 weeks
;-)

36 Anthony June 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Dave is full of sh1t

37 Rajpal June 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM

HTC HERO ROM UPDATE OUTFOR EUROPE GSM VERSION

38 mobile July 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM

This mobile is very good.