Proper Euro Android 2.1 HTC Hero update due end of June

by Hero on June 16, 2010

in Firmware

Android 2.1HTC has confirmed that the Android 2.1 update for HTC Hero owners will come in two parts. One smaller part (that appears to be rolling out now) and the larger Android 2.1 update that the company says will “follow towards the end of the month”. Looks like at least another week’s wait then. Check out the HTC statement after the jump.

HTC statement:

“Android Éclair update for HTC Hero will be released by the end of June. The upgrade will come in two parts, the first of which will roll out from this week and will be detected when the Hero next automatically checks for software updates. The second part of the update will follow towards the end of the month. As the second part of the upgrade will wipe all data on the handset, Hero users should ensure any important data has been backed up before proceeding with the installation. Due to the size of the update, wherever possible, we would advise using a WiFi connection for this download to avoid additional data charges.”

Via Gizmodo.

1 Hector June 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Oh perfect… june 18th isn’t the final date…

“… by the end of June”. They must be kidding…

P.d: the first update pop up didn’t come at Spain (at my hero at least)

2 sLyX June 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Oh gr8…So HTC Hero is my first and the last phone from this company…You just can’t treat customers like they do…

3 Sandro June 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Hah Waaay to late HTC! Switched long time ago to a custom 2.1 rom which honestly runs so smooth that i won’t even bother with the original update. I agree with previous comments though, this is no way of treating your customers. OVER HALF A YEAR for an update?

Sadly HTC’s android phones are the best ones out there at the moment. One things for sure though, for my next android phone i’ll be looking around hard and long before i would get another HTC one.

4 Stephen June 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Got the prep update. Def faster and less laggy. Part 1 complete

Now for 2.1! :)

5 Graeme June 16, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Still nothing from t mobile in the uk non rooted hero :(

6 BenG June 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Bastardos!!! Waiting and waiting…i hope we will have a possibility to load a custom 2.2 on our heroes without sense….

if someone wants to have the prep update faster you need to change the date on your phone a few months to the future….

7 tadywankenobi June 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Go to the Date & Time settings in the phone, turn off automatic update and set the year to 2011. Then wait a few seconds and you should be offered the first client update.

8 Rick June 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Will the update wipe data from my SD card? I presume not but would like clarification please.
Thanks.

9 HTC Hero Owner June 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM

HTC execs must be fans of S&M because this update fiasco has been one prolonged form of torture.
Ultimately, it’s just a software update that should fix some bugs, maybe speed things up a bit and allow access to various apps on the market that require 1.6 or above. However, this drip, drip feeding of information about how and when things will happen is ridiculous. I was aware that there would be a ‘pre-update’, but then to just say ‘by the end of the month’ for the actual 2.1 update is absurd. What kind of company is unable to establish a specific date on which it will provide it’s cusomers with a software update, having now had over 6 months with which to develop and prepare it??
I really like my phone, and have no real problems with it on 1.5, except wanting acces to some other apps. However, I feel that HTC have really dropped the ball with the way they’ve (mis)managed this situation.
Anyway, frustration vented, I can stop selecting ‘Check now’ on the System Software Update screen and just wait another couple of weeks to hopefully not be let down….

10 Pete June 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM

The date trick didn`t work on mine, in the UK on the Three network :-(

Did work for anyone else on the three network????

Thanks

Pete

11 milesoneill June 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Date trick didn’t work on my Hero either. On Orange UK.

Miles.

12 ryan June 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM

date trick didnt work aswell on t mobile
i no it sounds gd but i used atrackdog to look for updates for my apps, ran that and had the update show… odd but may help others

13 Pete June 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Whats a “atrackdog” ?

Thanks

Pete

14 G June 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I’m in Australia and i think i’m just going to have till the whole thing is up on their support site so i can download it all off the net.

Agree with a lot of the other comments out there about HTC being very slow with this update.

15 Vlad June 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

The date trick works flawlessly for my sim-free Hero.

16 Dingledoodie June 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Orang UK HTC Hero owner here.

I’ve tried the date ‘trick’ several times, month and year, nothing. Tried Atrackdog, nothing.

17 MeanEYE June 16, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Well am happy to get that small update, it’s a sign something is happening. :D I’d like if HTC provided 2.2 update. They could ask money for extended support for Hero. I understand that Hero is now “old” and I’d be more than happy to pay for update.

18 Pete June 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

@Sandro

Too true mate. I am running ChronosDroid 1.5.1 It is the fastest rom I’ve ever seen. everything works perfectly in it and even has little tricks like the Nexus 1 style 3D gallery.
Like you I won’t be bothering with the official release.

Feeyo (the rom’s creator) will no doubt hack about the up coming 2.1 upgrade and add other stuff to it. but then again I can’t find a reason for him to bother! =D

Love Android. Hate HTC.

19 Steve June 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

People are over reacting. The PR from HTC implies to me that all Hero’s will get 2.1 this month. I think that those in Europe that got the minor update tomorrow will get 2.1 this week (18th). My reason for saying this. A reply from HTC this morning relating to a query about the small OTA update

“The preparatory update will be shortly followed by the full Éclair update. You will receive it in the next few days. Best Regards, Francesca”

Next few days doesn’t imply end of the month to me, it implies Friday 18th…

People should stop bashing HTC. They don’t have to give us the update, and the phone is pretty damn good even with 1.5

20 Gareth June 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Update trick work really well for me, changed the date and it was almost instantaneously

21 ro6ert June 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM

HTC suxx big time. Love Android, but you just don’t treat customers like this. Will never buy again.

22 Klaus June 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I had problems getting the prep-update – didn’t get any message, so here’s something that might work for you guys not getting the message.

I installed HTC Sync on my PC, which i haven’t done before ’cause I get everything i need via Exchange.
Then I found out that I hadn’t installed the latest ROM, and therefore not getting the FOTA-prep.
So check your latest ROM… :-)

23 Oknowwhaaaat June 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Ok, I have no idea when the update will come and I’m not saying it won’t come later than this week, but… but … but: What the F*** is this announcement on engadget? No source? “HTC says” well… we’ve been hearing this forever. And always the same stuff with the … “we advise you to download the update over WiFi” blabla… Duuuhh. It’s just as annoying as all those hero youtube videos with people showing hardly anything, but of course the phone information to “proove” that they have 2.1

24 richter June 17, 2010 at 4:41 AM

yo all of you got to a sprint store they have the update!!! i had a tech update my phone in the mall while i shopped around lol its soo much better!!!

25 BenG June 17, 2010 at 6:07 AM

richter…. you know we are talking about the gsm european phone… that’s a nother thong they got the update already…. why the f…. should we wait longer….

26 judge June 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM

@richter: yo, you should go to the hospital they have an update!!!! i had a brain doctor fix my head while my wife shopped around lol its soo much better!!!!! now i don’t comment stupid shit anymore lol kthxbai lol lol lolcats.

Seriously. Do you really think that we would be waiting and complaining here if there was an update waiting at stores. Oh yeah, it can’t possible be that there are other countries … nooo, only the US has the Hero. But you always wondered about these pictures of a device tat looks so different to the Hero on this site. It’s not like… well … Europe got their Hero many months earlier than the US.

27 Stu Alsford June 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

@judge – You just made me snort my tea!

Date doesn’t seem to want to work on OrangeUK Branded hero here either, so I guess orange are doing there usual. As long as we still get it, thats fine by me!

28 Jim, Scotland June 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Date trick worked for me too – non-branded Hero from T-mobile (not sure why I was given no-branded one).

29 tadywankenobi June 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM

For fear of drawing the wrath of judge (btw judge, if I’d been drinking tea, I’d have snorted it too! Exellent response), just so everyone is aware, my Hero is with Meteor in Ireland. I went home last night and updated my wife’s the same way too. Build has switched from ending in 66 to 95. Still no sign of that juicy 2.1 android goodness, but I’m reliably informed the phandroid boys are pinging the server every half second until the update is there. They’d be the boys to watch!

T

30 Bilal June 17, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Try to set the date to 15/07/2009 this worked on my tmobile HTC hero. It worked perfectly now let’s just hope 2.1 dosn’t get delayed another month or so lol

31 BenG June 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

we won’t get the update…. never…. this small update is just so that wee still hope….

32 Kallum June 17, 2010 at 11:26 PM

the datetrick didn’t work for me I am on the latest Rom, it worked for me 2 days ago first of all but I got the hazard sign andhad to remove battery, this.was at qq11 on the night and I had to goto sleep so I left it until morning, did the date trick again but it hasn’t worked since then and I.am still running on old firmware.

this.was written on HTC hero so.excuse the shit writing, they should move the.full stops and the settings button q bit further away

33 joy June 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Got the small update on T-mobile here in the UK a couple of days ago for t-mobile g2 (i.e. t-mobile rebadged hero).

34 fozza June 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM

The Date trick worked perfect for me ( Norway, NetCom ). This morning I could, and have downloaded the ROM update from HTC site ( RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.6_R_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver ). Will try it soon.

35 tadywankenobi June 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hah? What gives? The ROM update rolls back to 1.5?! And still wipes the phone?! And still requires the 4MB OTA from a couple of days ago?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

36 Brian Morrison June 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

No, the small update replaces the FOTA client and the Youtube player, without it the full update to 2.1 (which is probably tens of MB if not 100MB+) won’t apply, either because it will check the ROM version or because the old FOTA client was buggy.

There is no roll back to 1.5 because the firmware has never been updated to higher than that revision. The changes mentioned above are to the part of the ROM image that holds the programs rather than the OS itself. That’s also why it didn’t wipe your phone, the new OS changes the structures of the stored data so it isn’t possible to retain it.

37 tadywankenobi June 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM

@Brian Morrison, No dude, the update on the HTC site is now 102MB and when it is installed, reverts your ROM to 1.5 pre the FOTA Client and YouTube update. Try installing it; I dare ya.

Blogs all over the place going crazy about this. So it’s not just me.

38 Zhil June 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Does anyone know a way to backup your data? I have founds apps that backup my sms and contacts, which is good, but I would like one that saves my apps aswell…

39 cashmang June 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

3uk and orange are currently testing the new update with there networks, from what i hear……

40 jmolund June 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Datetrick worked here aswell, set the date a few months forward.
Norway (NETCOM)

41 tadywankenobi June 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM

@Zhil Use Astro. It’s a file management app free in the market. Once it’s installed, press Menu and go to Tools. In there go to Application Backup. Works well.

42 Brian Morrison June 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM

@Tadywankenobi If you mean the ROMs on the UK support site, they are all from September 2009 or early 2010 and are _not_ 2.1 updates, so it would be silly to apply them thinking that they were.

The only mentions of 2.1 or the preparatory update states clearly that it will be done as an OTA update.

If you don’t mean the UK support pages for a source for this “regression” then please state your sources.

43 tadywankenobi June 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Ok, a bit of clarity on the HTC site (finally). They’ve updated the text of the ROM. If your build number is 2.73.405.xx, you don’t need the new update available. If your build is lower (older), you do. You’ll still only have 1.5 at the end of the update, but you’ll be on a more “2.1 friendly” version of it. We think this is to ensure that everyone with a Hero is on the same ROM version prior to the 2.1 release. This HAS to be coming soon (like next week). But who knows… we all know how we’ve been strung along this far.

44 tadywankenobi June 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM

@Brian Morrisson Fair enough. I didn’t read the dates of the ROM releases. Blame impatient excitement if you will. I’ve no other sources, just the HTC support site. I raised a ticket with them (I’m sure I’m not the only one) and shortly after, they changed the text on the ROM release (not taking credit, I’m sure many people requested the same clarity).

45 David June 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Not impressed, with HTC. Loyalty customer that get no real Information just what we read in blogs and posts, I love my iPhone customer service is amazing,, they have a app called appleMe gives the latest information from them all correct updates released in days not months! HTC for customer service on updates and lead information your SHIT, 18th today and I bet no update to come,. P.s we shouldn’t have to fiddle with our phones to het a update, installing new roms and changing the date. How annoying we have to change the date for it to start, IT SHOULD START REGARDLESS!!!……………..I waited so long for this stupid update, I’m gonna stick to Apple, viva la apple. HTC make a dam app telling your customers the truth. With people that work. for HTC not Bloggers. That way we will have a genuine sauce, why did you create different software for different networks! You should have noticed it would be a big pain in the backside!

I feel a lot better getting it all off my chest!

46 David June 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I feel a lot better getting it all off my chest!

47 cashmang June 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM

i hate all this waiting, but i am enjoying this ‘chase’ to be fair

im on the 3uk network so i havent even had the first pre install as yet…..

but i feel the customer service of HTC is good, they have never let me down on an email, which is more i can say for 3uk >_>

48 Katanagashi June 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM

@David

I believe that the only reason people are changing dates is so that they force the phone to check for updates… It’s not productive to have your phone connecting every 15min, spending your internet, your battery, and flooding the net just to check for updates… as for the server forcing the phone show you the update… mmm… if they can do that, what else can they do to your iPhone???

as different software for different network… that’s the network problem not HTC or Android… “Open-source” anyone? … you’re free to handle Android your own way. as for iPhone try to mess with it and you’ll probably get behind bars… way to go for your freedom
This applies to every Apple product and not just the iPhone

Before posting you should try to understand the reasons and not show every-one how short-sighted you are

I love Android and I’m sticking with it…

49 Pier June 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Think my phone has bricked after update.

50 Pier June 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Update!!!!

It just came back to life after 4mins on the HTC screen…phew.

51 Pier June 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM

eerrrrr…..market apps dont update now. downloads dont start.

52 Pier June 18, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Oops….dont forget to set your date back to the correct day.

53 Manz June 18, 2010 at 2:22 PM

@Pier

You have to set the time back to normal….auto

54 cashmang June 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM

hurry up 3uk :(

please please please

55 Alan June 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM

HTC may have suggested June 18th, but they didn’t say which year did they !!!

56 cashmang June 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM

@Alan

i know but im like an excited kid haha

57 Pier June 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Got the white unbranded Hero. After first update all seems well, now.

Lets just hope that the 2.1 update at the end of the month runs smootly on the Hero. Can you imagine what the uproar will be like if it doesn’t?

58 stefano June 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Let’s hope it will really be the end of june…

Downloaded the first update, trying to install it know (read: waiting for it to install…), but it appears to do nothing… The only thing I can see is a shiny icon after it re-booted. It shows a triangle with a ! and a phone… What ever it means, I don’t think it’s good. I’m waiting for like 20 minutes now… and my hands are eager to take out the batteries, cause I can’t stand that evil icon. Damn, htc, why does it has to be like this?

59 stefano June 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Okay, so I took the batteries out and rebooted and now it just rebooted normally…

60 Adam June 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Mine has the same icon as your stefano and iv been waiting over an hour :S. did your taking out the battery trick work? has it actually updated etc? or did it not update?

61 Martijn June 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Date trick worked for me. After about 5 seconds I got the pop-up indeed.

62 Cedric June 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hero 2.1 Update is out !!!

63 Cedric June 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Sorry, It’s just a roll back to the previous OTA firmware version ….

Thanks again HTC … I just like and want to waste my time with my Hero ….

64 Ryan June 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM

The date trick worked for me, literally 5 seconds after switching back to auto it popped up :D roll on 2.1…finally!

65 Ryan June 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM

sorry to double post. is anyone elses hero running faster than usual, also i noticed a new tab in the settings/aboutphone there is a system update checker. (tmobile uk g2 touch)

66 Ike June 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I’ve got a T-Mobile UK HTC Hero, and I’ve been trying the date trick thing ALL day and it’s still not working? What dates did u guys try?

67 Ryan June 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I changed the date to 2009 and then changed it back to auto. wait a few seconds and you should get a pop up :)

68 Adam June 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM

The date trick works on mine but it isnt installing it gets like half way through and then the triangle with the ! appears and it just stops their. :S any help? (maybe i should just wait and not use the date trick?)

69 Ike June 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM

@ Adam
What date did u put in?

70 cashmang June 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM

@ike

i think the date change is only to cause the hero to look for updates, so anytime in the future, by at least two weeks should work, unless your on orange or 3uk, like me :(

71 tadywankenobi June 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Yes yes, new update is out. What’s happened is they released a fresh 1.5 ROM. That brought everyone up to build 2.73.405.xx (depending where you live.. 66 here in Ireland). Then they released the same FOTA update they released 2 days ago to bring those builds up to the latest 2.73.405.9x (95 here in Ireland). Now once everyone has that, hopefully… HOPEFULLY… 2.1 will be on the way. A weekend release? I doubt it. But Monday looks really juicy!!!

One more sleeps to 2.1? Here’s hoping!

T

72 BenG June 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM

WTF??? Why are you f**** with us HTC…

anyone know how to get the android 2.2 on the hero… will it be possible….

73 otecfura June 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I changed the date and install first update, but when comes a 2.1 update, god knows.

74 aa599 June 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Thanks Ryan – the 2009-then-back-to-auto worked for me just now on my T-Mobile UK Hero.

75 martin June 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM

hi, does anyone have 2.73.405.5 rom for t-mobile uk?? i tried to download it from htc website but after giving them my hero’s sn it says ‘ Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device.’ ??

76 Ike June 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM

The date trick worked perfectly! Bring on 2.1!

77 Adam June 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM

@ IKE

I just put the month 1 up so it says july 19th 2010 but i just keep getting the triangle with the ! :( ?

78 MeanEYE June 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM

@BenG of course if will be possible. Will HTC bring the update to us, I doubt. But there’s a huge number of developers at xda-developers and they are more than willing to customize 2.2 for anything… :D

79 qwerty June 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM

did anyone have success installing the update on a rooted hero?

80 mark June 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM
81 mark June 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM

@martin
I wasn’t getting the update, but saw that i was on the 1.76 rom. Used this link
to get the 2.73 for my G2, worked fine, and the update started immediately as well.

82 pete June 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Qwerty:-
If you do install it it may remove your root privileges…

83 Brian Morrison June 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I think the strange comments from someone in HTC support about the update are simply a garbled version that has been through a non-English speaker before being reported in English. The mispelling is fairly telling, I suspect that “mouths” might actually be a mistype of weeks, someone has thought weeks and then typed months with a typo in it.

The 2.1 update has been released in the US and in Taiwan, and a fix has been delivered to cope with some problems in the OTA client software in the phone that may be specific to Europe.

What reason can HTC have to delay this, especially within a day or two of them specifically stating that they will release before the end of June? The update must be done and dusted for them to even make that statement, otherwise no one in their right mind would authorise its release.

84 speedaddict June 19, 2010 at 11:28 PM

For all # T-Mobile Germany DE # users. If you have trouble installing the update, look if you have installed the ROM from the t-mobile website. The update wouldn’t complete the patch installation. Install the ROM from the HTC site. Its the same version nr, but with this ROM the patch installation completed sucessfull in my case.

Old version: 2.73.111.26
New one: 2.73.111.91

2.1 ready ;-)

85 Kishan Dattani June 19, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Hmm…. I’ve done the pre 2.1 update and now i kinda wished i didn’t! :(
My phone now crashes (blank screen and not responding to input) and the battery barely lasts half a day with normal use.
Has anyone else noticed any undesired effects?
Model: T-Mobile G2 Touch
Build: 2.73.110.91

86 Ike June 20, 2010 at 4:33 AM

@Adam
When the triangle logo came on my screen I just took the battery out and turned it on again. Once you’ve changed the date leave it for a few mins before going back to the correct date. The download should start on it’s own. If that doesn’t work then you have to make sure you have downloaded the previous HTC update which u can find on their websiye, I hope thsi helps

87 scott June 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I’ve got a T-Mobile branded hero that i had unlocked and i’m on Vodafone , i changed the the date to a month ahead i then turned the mobile off then back on….waited a minute and bingo! i’m finally updated and now waiting for 2.1 …fingers crossed ;)

old build number- 2.73.110.26
new build number – 2.73.110.91

youtube seems to work better now and there’s now a new system software update menu section that was’nt there before ……..hope this help’s

88 Warren June 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Anyone had the update on orange uk yet? Or know anymore news? Tried the date trick and it doesn’t work.

89 qwerty June 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM

pete: i’m aware of that, but that wasn’t my question

90 mark June 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM

@Warren – Have you checked your build number (in settings –> about phone)
It needds to start 2.73, if it starts 1.76 you need an update from the HTC website.

91 Warren June 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Just checked my build number and it starts with 2.73. I haven’t got the latest rom off htc website though from back in march i think as alot of other people said not to bother with it. The orange only rom.

92 J June 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

im on 3uk and ive been trying the date trick for days unsuccessfully :(
anyone have any idea if 3uk are realeasing the prep ota update anytime soon? it seems that orange and tmobile people are having the same problem.

93 Tyler June 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Ive got a 3UK branded hero unlocked on vodafone, and ive tried everything that ive heard off (the date trick numerous times) but nothing seems to work.

is it anything to do with my build number? its 2.73.771.73

Thanks.

94 Rusty June 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM

On Orange UK, date trick hasn’t worked for me either. Spoke to Orange customer services and they didn’t seem to know anything about it! What a complete mess!

95 Joel June 20, 2010 at 11:53 PM

This is my guess, but i think i know why the date-trick works. Since the phone is set to look for updates every 20 days, changing the date more than 20 days forward should make it look for updates, altho when you got the new update, it should look for new ones more often since that is what the update contains. I guess branded phones isnt supposed to get the update yet, thats why the date-trick doesnt work.

96 diamondmiah June 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM

due to the longset wait for the update one hero, i think i will get a iphone next.

97 darko June 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM

I got the update today …. Serbia here.

98 BenG June 21, 2010 at 9:56 AM

darko, you,re talking about the small update or 2.1??? :D

99 SteveINtheUKok June 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Did the date trick and within 5 seconds it popped up a window to install the update.

This really has been too long in coming around.

Like others I am now considering all options for any future new phone. This has really soured my relationship with HTC and I have to say ther e isn’t a lot of trust or faith there at he moment.

If we see updates to newer phones to 2.2 quickly then they may win back my trust.

The update did sit for a worryingly long time on the T-Mobile logo, but fired up ok after it did it’s thing :-)

100 Pete June 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Still nothing on 3UK :-(

101 Pete June 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Why they just can`t put the update on there website (HTC) is beyond me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

102 Shakeel June 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I’m shocked at how long its taken for the HTC hero 2.1 update, I’m on orange UK and need to wait for a version compatible with orange to be released. This has left a sour taste in my mouth to how slowly this has been dealt with by just getting any version of 2.1 out for the Hero. I did love my Hero up until this, I doubt I’ll be investing in HTC in the future, in this day and age is very bad that updates take so long, I’d rather invest in a John Doe brand as long as they are keeping customers up to date, very disappointed!

103 darko June 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM

@BenG: yes, small update… sorry for not explaining. BTW I got it without the tricks.

104 MJK June 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Got the “small update” just now. T-mobile.

105 steve June 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Still nothing – in the UK on Orange

106 Coops June 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Well… I’m confused! I’ve got build 2.73.61.66 which as far as I know was the last ROM build released in about Feb this year by Orange UK (downloaded from the HTC WEB site). If you have a look at the info for build 2.73.405.xx on the HTC web site its dated 4th quarter last year (can’t remember the exact date) which puts it older than the one I have! Also, Orange UK block (or don’t support) FOTA so I’ve been told they will either have to allow FOTA on their UK network (pretty unlikley) or will have to make the full 2.1 available as a download from the HTC web site. I can’t get a clear indication from HTC or Orange UK when that will be.

107 Paul June 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM

@ diamondmiah I wouldn’t go as far at to get an iphone but I might think twice before getting another HTC phone. I have heard that google are working on the UI so there would be no need for stuff like sense, so quicker updates.

I’m on Orange UK and no update as of yet…

108 Engberg June 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Just talked to a danish HTC supporter – I asked him about the update and he said:
“Well it won’t be long – it has already been developed”..
“So what – you’re just stalling?”..
“Year…. I can put you on the maillist for updates!”
“Great.”

Amateurs.. At least keep support staff oriented..

109 elmoono June 21, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Re Orange version –

I dont think orange will rush this out, and when they do it will be customised like 2.1 desire, with much orange crap like orange maps/sat nav and no google maps. The 1.5 hero was not to customised by orange – just splash, 2.1 will be a lot more.

Realising this I took the plunge, ran goldcard method of going to last generic official rom. Worked like a dream, now got generic hero, not even an orange splash – got the preparotry update (you tube, update settings) update as soon as phone rebooted.

Very happy, phone quicker on genric htc rom, pre update done, eclair to come soon, no orange shit. I followed this method:

took 20 mins, ran generic ruu from desktop.

tips: install htc synch latest version connect hero and let drivers install. reboot all connect again boot sycnch on pc – more driver installs, reboot all follow link instructions.

hehe – bye bye orange hello updates.

110 Paul June 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM

@elmoono when I spoke to orange they said the update had nothing to do with them and to contact HTC. I didn’t bother pressing them as I thought they didn’t have a clue what they were talking about.

111 Warren June 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Spoke to htc yet again. Spoke to a guy who seemed to know what he was talkin about. He informed me htc have now released the software to all networks in the uk which included orange. I mentioned orange not knowing anythin about it which he said they should do by now. He did say how it works is when orange finally release it, it would take another 2 weeks from then to receive it which would explain the whole thing about changin dates and receivin it. However it still doesnt work like t mobile has. I then tried asking 4 different people on orange, and nobody knew anythin about it. I told them what it was called and they looked it up but said they’d not been told anythin as yet. Starting to really bug me the lack of communication between htc and orange!

112 elmoono June 21, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Re Orange:

The update was supplied to all UK networks at the same time – how long their tech dep’t take to customise/bolt down the rom is a matter of workload, and priorities. Once done the rom is tested by the network, when happy they give back to HTC who make ship version.

Interestingly Orange UK have never enabled FOTA updates on their network before! And i bet they don’t now! So i would suspect in 3 or so weeks HTC will have the new Orange 2.1 eclair to download. As i stated before i suspect you will find it ‘highly’ customised by orange compared with the 1.5 version originally supplied by them – and of course come more patches/updates or 2.2 android you will have to wait again for another customised update! I have been with orange for a decade – they always un-inform, never know what they are doing between departments – no point believing a word they say. But i do love the deal on my monthly contract, and the connectivity i get in my location. Compromise!

Having read so many forums i made the decision that the orange update would take weeks longer, and that i would regret installing it if customised. The method i posted above to go to the ‘proper’ genric HTC software (like buying the hero without a contract – generic – sept 09 release _HTC Hero_RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver) – removing everything to do with orange except the sim lock (£15 online for unlock code) seemed my best choice! Put simply this method just temporarily removed the CID locks in the mobile via a sector of code on a micro sd card (called gold card) which then allows for a stock rom to be installed on a branded handset (you loose everything, so back up all) – it is not ‘rooting’ or anything else, once done the handset is completely generic HTC unbranded – and then of course can receive HTC updates, for now and for the future. I regret not doing this months ago when i got the handset, but at that time goldcard etc were still being ‘invented’!

113 BenG June 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM

iPhone users have another update….and htc HERO users…. we are being f…. :(

114 BenG June 22, 2010 at 7:03 AM

I’ve got an email from HTC regarding this Update, ant it seems we need to wait even more… i mean it should be in this month but as late as it is possible…

115 Stu Alsford June 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Also RE Orange:

I was “speaking” to them the other day, this mainly involved me getting passed round the houses until I actually got to talk to someone who understands what a ROM is. From what I found out, Orange don’t even produce the rom themselves, they get it from a Third Party contractor who didn’t have an ETA, but they were working on it. But as others have said, this could take for ever, and the guy on the phone was not able to give an ETA as he didn’t know. (This guy was actually pretty switched on and was trying to help, so I don’t blame him in the slightest, he even stole a colleagues hero to see if I had some setting…. Turns out his colleague had a rooted phone on 1.6 so was no use.)

I know this is somewhat useless, but thought I may as well share!

116 cashmang June 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

i think i speak for everyone when i say this should be easy…… haha

come on 3uk and orange dont let us down we have been waiting long enough as it is

117 cashmang June 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

theres a new rom for 02 users on the htc website peeps

shame its not for 3uk thou lol

118 steve June 22, 2010 at 10:46 AM

HTC Website says “we are pushing out a new firmware update to your HTC Hero with the System Image version2.73.405.5 (EU)” – so does this mean unless you have the 2.73.405.5 build number your phone won’t be able to even check for the update?

My current build number is 2.73.61.5

119 Alan June 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM

@cashmang …. that ROM on the HTC site is for the HD2, not the Hero

120 cashmang June 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM

@alan

:( sorry im just jumping the gun cause im bored of waiting

121 katanagashi June 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

only 8 days left until the end of the month… nothing against HTC… just against the operators
and all the excessive customization of software made by the 3rd-parties

Portugal, Optimus (Orange Group I believe) … no update yet

122 katanagashi June 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I feel like a hostage to the operator…

123 cashmang June 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

@katanagashi

that sums up how i feel too

124 elmoono June 22, 2010 at 12:24 PM

@ Steve

to get the update you need to be on 2.73.405.5 if you are on a generic handset – this is for the over the air update of which part 1 arrived last week. When clicking that rom and entering your serial number you are offered that ROM or if your on T mobile you get the version you need to update the T mobile version. Nothing for Orange or 3 yet – and i doubt orange or 3 will get the over the air update, more likely you will get the whole rom via HTC site when the operators have finished their version of the rom.

125 Pete June 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM

@elmoono

Thanks for the info on Three and Orange, so I guess us 3uk will just have to wait

Gutted

126 Stu Alsford June 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM

So, I have just been on the phone to orange, and HTC. And I do not quite know what the hell they are on about.

According to some guy, lets call him, Judas…. The rom updates are being rolled out in batches, apparently based on the serial number. (At the same time though, Judas said that the branded handsets would be getting this first… right….) He has confirmed that everyone should get the update by the end of June 2010. (yes, I pressed him to say which year…) This is the main part that confused me, although links in with the recent Cease and Desist for shipped-roms.com…. HTC will not be posting the full update on to their website – I was told this by a lady who cited the reason to be due to roms getting hacked and Intellectual Property Rights.

Also, they said that the orange firmware is not going to have any branding when it is released. They being Both HTC and Orange. Although they say this, I expect a minimum of a splash screen.

Hope this helps, and sorry it is a bit all over the place. I am just rather fed up with HTC and Orange now.

Stu

127 katanagashi June 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM

WTF?

I must say that now I’m totally confused with whom to blame… a few posts ago HTC support talked about beeing the Network responsability, then the network said “HTC responsability”, then further down network said “3rd party responsability”, and now once again “HTC responsability”

who’s responsible after all???

128 Lloyd June 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I’ve had enough, I’m looking for options to unlock my hero from Orange and then to go about finding my own ROMs to go on it. Does anyone have any experience with http://www.unlockcodes2u.com/ – they seem to only want £4 to unlock the damn phone?

I am very very angry with both HTC and Orange.

129 Alan June 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

@katanagashi “only thing for certain is that Orange and 3Uk brander Hero look to be the only ones getting problems”

Well … even though some people have been lucky enough to get the OTA download, they’re still no further forward as I don’t think anyone has got 2.1 yet.

130 Emlyn June 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Got the pop up on my phone the other day but cancelled it as I couldn’t do download then. Back it came today but once again it wasn’t convenient. Phoned HTC Support. They said the only 2 ways to get it were to wait 14 days until next auto check for updates, or do a hard reset and then reinstall all programs, data.
Then I read a posting here and changed date to 22 July. Instantly got offered update and downloaded it. All fine apart from fact that my build no is 2.73.405.95 which HTC says is Greece/Ireland version (I’m in UK). Don’t know whether it makes any difference: I’ll just wait for part 2. And I’ve reset date to auto.

131 paul June 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM

DONT BOTHER with this link http://www.unlockcodes2u.com all the do is send information on how to unlock it just paid the crappy website its a scam.

132 Lloyd June 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

@Paul – Thank you for that, you saved me from falling into a trap!

SCAM ALERT http://www.unlockcodes2u.com SCAM ALERT

Can anyone recommend the cheapest way to unlock an Orange branded Hero?

133 BenG June 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Hey… those codes… can anyone share such a code or do they work only one time?… there should be a free way to do that….

134 Kapa June 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I unlocked my HTC through an ebay company, cost £7 and unlocked it within minutes, just search HTC unlock or something and go for the one with the best feedback!

135 Sid June 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM

@ milesoneill,Pete ..I tried the date trick on my Hero which is on 3 network but din’t work…

@ tadywankenobi – did the date trick worked for you?

@ Klaus – Even HTC sync thing din’t work

Rom on my Hero is 2.73.771.73 CL#94055 release-keys

Since last Friday, I am not able to download any apps from Market..When I try to download it says “Starting download….” but never downloads..Is this something to do with part 1 release or something dodgy on my hero..I am confused?

136 Lloyd June 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM

My next phone won’t be an HTC that’s for sure, it’s not the update or lack of that’s infuriating now; it’s the communication and uncertainty.

http://www.google.com/phone This looks as good as a Desire to me – let’s hope Google bring out an updated one when my contract ends in 10 months time!

137 Mark June 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Have given up all hope of an update, getting an iPhone 4 next week and I cant wait for it, just sick of waiting for this update and will not be getting HTC again

138 Matt June 23, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Sid, I had the same problem with my hero. One of the options below should fix it. If you do decide to go for a factory reset just be aware that it will clear everythin from apps, pics, messages etc. So back up first. In my case the first option worked so there was no need to back up anything. Good luck.

option 1.
Clear data and cache of applications.
To clear data and cache, press HOME > MENU, and
then tap Settings > SD card & phone storage or
Applications > Manage applications.

option 2. Factory Reset
Backup important phone data and then reset the phone.
To reset the phone, press HOME > MENU, and then
tap Settings > Security > Factory data reset.

139 Cyberplod June 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM

This borders on the bizarre!

I followed the BT forum for three whole months at the end of last year whilst they hummed and hawed and passed repeated deadlines for bringing out a new handset to replace the awful HTC 620. I was, however, really pleased with the Hero and I suppose it was worth waiting for.

We are now going through EXACTLY the same thing with 2.1 – hope that turns out to be worth waiting for too. I suppose customer service becomes less important when you already have the product and can’t hand it back.

140 Lloyd June 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I am an idiot! A Google Nexus One is still made by HTC. Are there any pure Android phones out there that don’t need the manufacturer crap to be updated and can just receive Android OS updates as soon as they are released?

141 steve June 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

@Sid – did you have you’re @googlemail.com changed to @gmail.com recently? If so that will stop you being able to download from market on the Hero. I had the same problem but switching back to “@googlemail.com fixed it

See http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=159001 and read the first “known issue”

142 Alan June 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM
143 Sid June 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM

@Steve – Thanks mate..Yes, I have changed to gmail.com and that is the problem..but I am still waiting for 2.1 update :(

@Matt – I tried first option but it din’t work will try option 2 when I backup all the data

144 Lloyd June 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Has anyone had any luck with the link below the Contact Form – The HTC Hero update farce: Part 2 « Themaninthesuitcase.

I’ve got as far as creating the Gold Card, then I got well and truly stuck! I went from step 10 to step 11 (was i supposed to reboot?) and when I tried to install the RUU it said it wasn’t compatible with my phone. Is this because I HAVE build 2.73.61.66? I’m frustrated :(

145 Lloyd June 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Well that didn’t take 20minutes! To hell with you HTC and Orange! I now have a rooted Hero running 2.1 Android thanks to Villan Rom and the Unlockr website. I found a great page on One Click unlocking which thankfully worked on my phone, though it seemed far more than 1 click.

I was worried that after hours of work 2.1 would be an anticlimax but I can already feel the benefits of it – my main observation being that my phone no longer has a periodic and VERY annoying lag between keyboard presses and the vibrate feedback. Thank you to everyone for this very long thread and all contributions, I’ll keep following it and I may unroot my phone and move to the official HTC/Orange 2.1 Version IF they ever release it or even give any clues as to when they will!

WAHOO!

146 Pete June 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM

@ Lloyd.

I`m considering doing the same, was it easy? how long did it take? I`ve looked into it and it looks like I`d have to use the goldcard and downgrade the firmware and then install the backup app and then backup from a rooted firmware.

sounds simple but was it? and is it possible to screw your phone up?

Cheers

Pete (3UK Hero user, sick of waiting!!!!!!!!!!)

147 Alan June 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I contacted T-Mob (UK) and suggested to them that HTC had released the 2.1 rom to the mobile phone operators and that they were “sitting on it”.

Here’s the reply…

“the 2.1 update will be an OTA update and released in line with when HTC release their generic Hero update. Thanks for your patience “

148 Chris June 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM

@Lloyd @ Pete
It really did take me 20mins to do.

What bit did you struggle with? Did you use the RRU linked to on the Gold card site? I didn’t reboot after the Goldcard and before the reflash.

I have been on the generic since about 20 mins before that post and had no issue to speak of.

149 Pete June 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

@Chris

What network you on??

Cheers

Pete

150 ABDULLAH June 25, 2010 at 4:17 AM

THEY ARE REALLY TAKING THE MICK WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR MONTH ITS LIKE THEY WANT YOU TO CUSTOM FIRMWARE YOUR PHONE

151 Chris June 25, 2010 at 8:46 AM

@ Pete Orange UK but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work for any other branded Hero.

152 Ryan June 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

im not sure why people are complaining so much to be honest, at least the Hero will get 2.1 whereas the T-Mobile G1 seems to be staying on 1.6 forever and a day.

are HTC Hero owners expecting every update after 2.1 to also be released for the Hero

153 Mark June 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM

decided to download the custom villain rom instead, had enough of waiting for 2.1

154 James June 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Just off the phone there now with HTC, they called me which I was surprised at.

I’d been in contact with their customer support about Android 2.1 updates and had said I was disappointed that they’d not been clear and consistent with it when I was asked to do a survey on their support.

Apparently they’re phoning round customers who’ve been dissatisfied with HTC’s service to get feedback as to where they’ve went wrong and how to improve, so hopefully what I told the girl on the phone will help somewhat in future :)

155 RRK June 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Update – HTC Hero Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update (Only applicable to System Image upgrade to 2.73.405.xx)
In our commitment to providing you with the best user experience, we are pushing out a new firmware update to your HTC Hero with the System Image version2.73.405.5 (EU); (Simply click on the version number to lead you to the download page to upgrade your phone accordingly.) Your phone will receive a notification of this update when it is made available. Simply press OK to accept the update via a data connection such as Wi-Fi or GPRS/3G. After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Build number (From the Home Screen go to MENU> Settings> About Phone> Build number). The new Build number after the update will be 2.73.405.93 (EU); 2.73.405.94 (Nordic) & 2.73.405.95 (Greece/ Ireland).
Update Information: Firmware over-the-air (FOTA) client update & YouTube player Update.
Note:Please back up your data first before upgrading your phone. We recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan to apply this update. If not, standard data connection charges may apply. For any questions, please contact us via http://www.htc.com/www/CA_Hotline.aspx

156 olafos June 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Yes? That’s like 1.5 weeks old!!!

There is however a newly released FOTA in South East Asia (Vietnam etc.)

157 George June 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM

@olafos Really? After having hTC ignoring my numerous tweets and emails about the South East Asia Hero update, I had pretty much resigned to the fact that I must be living in a customer service black hole. (“Aren’t we all?”, I hear everyone on this page shout)

158 MeanEYE June 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM

So, 25th today… Where is it already?!

159 olafos June 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM
160 Jan June 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM

“Second Package” of HTC Hero Android 2.1 update goes live… in South East Asia
(via Eurodroid.com)

I hope they will manage that for the rest of the world ASAP!

161 Tariq June 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

This is really getting annoying now! If I don’t get the update by the end of this month I’m sticking with Nokia phones, they always provide the latest updates and don’t have to wait for the stupid networks to push out their own versions. Plus you get free Sat Nav on most Nokia’s! :-)

HTC this is really disappointing and I doubt I’ll ever get a HTC phone again.

162 Dominik June 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Still waiting! I home Europe comes next!

163 Richard June 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM

The date change thing only works on selected software builds. Go to HTC’s website and they tell you the build numbers the FOTA update is meant for. We don’t all need it so we won’t all get it.

164 George June 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM

@olafos
Thanks a lot. Just double checked the TH support page and saw that it has appeared there also. So I changed my phone’s date forward a few months and I got the first FOTA update. Then once that was installed, I was immediately offered the second update. Which I downloaded and installed…(this takes awhile. I waited impatiently between images of a white box throwing up on a phone and several reboots.)
Finally the phone starts with an “hTC quietly brilliant” splash screen..(which is new) and now I can firm that in Thailand, with an SEA (707 build) Hero, I was given both upgrades and am now on the 2.1-update1 Firmware.

165 Hill_Matt June 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Hi guys

Sorry, bit new to all of this and I’ve been reading the threads with interest over the last few weeks. Here’s my situation, I’m a Hero user on Orange running build 2.73.61.66. As yet, despite doing the date thing repeatedly, no OTA updates (1 or 2) but the threads (and HTC’s website) seem to indicate that my build is not the latest. Tried installing the new build (2.73.505) today through Sync but I’m told the serial # of the phone is not compatible! Is this asn Orange thing ? Any ideas?????

166 Anzo June 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Has ANYONE on Orange UK had the first update? I keep changing the date and turning off auto time thingy. Rather annoying, isn’t it? Grr.

167 Paul June 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Nothing on orange for me either, went into an orange shop yesterday, they knew nothing at all about an update, I wish they would just let us know what was going on rather that be ignored. Also the fact it looks like this is the last update the hero will be getting is leaving me feeling rather disgusted at HTC.

168 Unknown June 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Cant understand people saying ooo, htc never again! gonna buy ipone (go and buy)?!?!
update will be when it will be. (if it not out it means there is some issues needed to be fixed)
Example is windows 7 came out on release date? is it perfect? NO. And lets put it that way all pc architecture is same for years not like phones, plus android OS is Google baby not Htc. Htc is working on they own OS.
Other thing:Imagine I’m some reporter and said ipone 3gs getting new OS in a week time( and all that spread the net… rumors, rumors.)
Thing don’t like about apple they wanna rule market! Imagine one iphone apple pc and i pad. no other makes of pcs, phones and more important thing there will be no competition. ( what i like in apple they not allowing info leaks in a result all this is not happening.)
other thing: amount of variety of phones htc has compare to an iphone?
And as I said before its Google OS so blame google:)
P.S. have htc for long time never let me down and that’s the main thing.
And one more thing?!?! these stupid operators always need to do some with phones soft, then they glitchy, laggy etc!?

169 David June 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I got sick of waiting for the 2.1 update for my HTC Hero. The phone itself was quite buggy, sending texts and connecting to the internet when it wanted to among some of the annoying problems.

After a years wait it came to upgrade time so i decided to take the plunge and get an iphone……. WOW this phone works, its fast and it does exactly what i want it to do!

Sorry HTC your customers service is not great and you would have to improve your customer relations and software before i would even think of getting another HTC.

170 Paul June 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM

@unknown,

I understand what you’re saying, yes google do the software but HTC did sense, its been AGES since google released 2.0,2.1 and we still don’t have it on our hero’s. Although I know its slowly getting rolled out now, I feel I have waited too long, better communication from HTC would have made it better. Also with the rumours that this is the last update and we are not getting anything beyond 2.1.

I find that unacceptable to basically stop supporting a phone I have’t even had for a year and this is still been sold in shops. I do like sense but I also don’t mind the generic android UI either, I do love the sense widgets though.

But that’s all just my opinion :)

171 Chris June 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Had a response from orange:

Thank you for your mail regarding the HTC update.

I am very sorry that you have been unable to find the Orange update for your phone. I can understand how frustrating this would be, may I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

When a new ROM update is made available by a handset manufacturer they will pass a version of this to Orange so that we can run the required tests to confirm that this ROM update they have released will co-exist with the Orange branding that you are required to use on your phone.

Basically a non-answer. Glad I hacked to generic, Orange suck for updates.

172 Steve June 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Chris, could you tell me how you hacked your phone back to a generic Hero, im with T Mobile and have totally had enough of waiting, ive never done anything like rooting and things so an idiots step by step guide would be bloody handy.

173 Sabre June 28, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I used this to root to Villainrom, going up and including step 2 will get ur phone to generic hero

174 steve June 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM

thanks Sabre ill give it a go and hopefully i wont end up bricking my phone

175 Eddy June 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Only thing Im hoping for in 2.1 is a BLUETOOTH fix.. My Hero(1,5) is working pefectly other than that.

176 Hill_Matt June 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I am an Orange UK contract user who chose the Hero over an IPhone at the start of the year precisely for this update – It really is poor on both HTC and Orange’s part, the way that they leave their customers to chase around websites and Blogs like these to get any information.
I have emailed HTC and received the following today….
“Thank you for contacting HTC. The unbranded 2.1 ROM upgrade has been released by HTC already, Orange have not released their version just yet as they need to brand the ROM with Orange branding. Once they have released this ROM it will be pushed down to your phone, and you will receive the notification that the phone is ready to be upgraded “
So it’s with Orange!
I’ve called Orange, got put through to Tech Support and they are unaware of any FOTA updates for the Hero with them for action. The Operator even checked with a so called “HTC expert”. To be fair, she did say would escalate herself through Orange and HTC and come back before COP tomorrow. She said that she’s sure I won’t be the first to call about this ;)
I’ve messaged HTC with all of this too, so we’ll see what comes back.

177 Mark June 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Got my update this evening! I tried earlier today, and then this evening I thought, “What the heck, I’ll try again.” And lo-and-behold it was there. The file size is about 78mb and it took a few minutes to download over wifi. It then took quite a few minutes more to unpack and install, but once it did I found I hadn’t lost any of my info. Contacts were there, downloaded programs, even the user dictionary with all my shortcuts. The only thing is that it resets the look to the original out-of-the-box Hero look, so you’ll have to configure your home screens, but other than that it was an easy, flawless installation. Too soon to tell what the differences are, although at first glance the icons are different.

178 steve June 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM

@ Mark are you on Orange?

179 Kryn June 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I tried the date trick with no success. I have an orange UK hero. Can someone tell me how I can get this update? It’s not available for download on the UK HTC support website, and the HTS support website does not have any news related to HTC Hero and android 2.1 so where do all these rumours come from???

How do I get any of these updates, and where are they downloadable?

180 steve June 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM

@ Kryn – Unlocked HTC Heroes should have received both updates by now but if like me you’re on Orange (or t-mobile) you wont have received anything yet even if you try the date trick. We just have to wait unfortunately…

181 han soolo June 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM

My Hero (unlocked) is now running Android 2.1. Installing took a while but now everything seems to be just fine. First impresson, it’s faster.

182 Pier June 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Guys
Make sure you have at least 25MB free in your phones memory before installing 2.1 update or else phone will force you back into 1.5 to uninstall some apps to free up space.

183 Pier June 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Yay, my little white unbranded hero is running 2.1 now!

I’m off to have a play around….will post back once I have got to grips with it.

184 steve June 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM

hi there i have an unlocked T Mobile G2/Hero currently using it on vodafone, will i be able to get the t mobile update with a Voda Sim or will i need to get a t mobile PAYG sim to get the updates once they are released???

185 miff June 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

2.1 it’s now in Serbia

186 Pier June 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Update: So far so good, phone seems to be working nicely and def speed improvement.
One weird thing though, when you press some letters in the middle of the keyboard the vibration seems less than when keys near the outside are pressed. Not too much of an issue, just a bit weird.
Loving the new marketplace though :)

187 htc hero skins July 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Fit perfectly, had it on in 10 minutes. After trying to keep the Hero clean, the cover is heaven sent. Well worth the investment and great design.

188 Robert July 8, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Just Goldcarded to the generic HTC ROM, but now being asked for SIM unlock code despite using the same SIm card my phone came with. Any ideas?

189 Sid July 12, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Gold card is best way to get 2.1..Go to this site for details

190 Bryan July 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Am UK Orange user
Have just received a response from HTC in relation to enquiry regarding 2.1 update. I have attached below. Still not definitive but possibly a glimmer of light for all of us that have been waiting for so long

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the Hero Updates I can help you with that. There is currently a delay in some of the Branding on the 2.1 update. We are unable to give you exact dates of when each device will receive the update. The Android 2.1 update for the Hero upgrade will come in two parts, the first of which will roll out from this week. The second part of the update will follow. As the second part of the upgrade will wipe all data on the handset, you should ensure any important data has been backed up before proceeding with the installation. Due to the size wherever possible we would advise using a wifi connection for this download to avoid additional data charges. At this time there is no option to download manually. The update will come through the network you are using. The update will be branded to the original brander of the device. If the device was originally unbranded it will remain this way. If the device is branded to your network then this will be how it will be once updated. There are no exceptions to this information and no other way at this time to receive the official update. If you choose to Download later you will get another notification after 14 days. The update on our website is for unbranded devices only. I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required.

191 matth84 July 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Any annoyed orange UK users should sign up to this facebook group. To show how many complaints there are against them. So they give us the answers to our questions.

192 juan July 26, 2010 at 6:09 AM

se rien de nosotros nada de nada cuando coño llegara la actualizacion

193 unlock htc desire forgot pattern May 27, 2014 at 1:46 AM

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in web explorer,
might check this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a big
component of otner folks will leave out youur magnificent writing because of this problem.

194 http://blogs.uab.cat/telefonosandroid/blackmart-alpha-para-android/ July 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I have fun with, result in I discovered just what I was looking for.
You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a