“Second Package” of Android 2.1 HTC Hero update hits South East Asia

by Hero on June 25, 2010

HTC SupportThe HTC Hero Android 2.1 update is due in two parts, the first was a preparatory update for the main course, the full Éclair update. The company has said that this will hit by the end of the month, although here in Europe we’re still waiting.

Hopefully, though there’s not to long to wait now as the “second package” of the update is now rolling out in South East Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia). The update has already been release in Taiwan and seems to be spreading. Can’t be too long now before it hits Europe!

Update – HTC Hero Android 2.1 Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update (Second Package)

In our commitment to providing you with the best user experience, we are pushing out a new firmware update to your HTC Hero. Your phone will receive a notification of this update when it is made available. Simply press OK to accept the update via a data connection such as Wi-Fi or GPRS/3G. After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Firmware version (From the Home Screen go to MENU> Settings> About Phone> Firmware version). The new Firmware version will be 2.1.
Update Information: Android 2.1 Platform Upgrade
Note:Please back up your data first, and you have to upgrade your phone with the first FOTA package to be able to get the Android 2.1 FOTA upgrade. We recommend using a free Wi-Fi hotspot or an unlimited data plan to apply this update. If not, standard data connection charges may apply. For any questions, please contact us via http://www.htc.com/www/CA_Hotline.aspx

1 Klaus June 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Oh YES!!! The wait might finally be over… Of course HTC needs to hurry up, since we are supposed to be getting Eclair before the end of June…

2 BenG June 25, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Yeah…right… Mother….. Sometimes I think that europe is as important for them like Ukraine for Europe

3 threeark.com). June 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM

We still haven’t received the prepatory update in Canada (TELUS

4 threeark.com). June 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

We still haven’t received the prepatory update in Canada (TELUS).

5 MeanEYE June 25, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Last time I checked :) Canada was not in Europe… but I might me wrong :P
J/K… you’ll get it soon…

6 Payke June 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Great News folks!

Just one day before we receiving the 2.1 final update

7 George June 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM

As I commented on the other post, I confirm that in Thailand, on my SEA (707 build) Hero, I was able to get both updates straight away by putting my phone’s date forward by a couple of months.
Now playing with all the new stuff…
All is NOT forgiven, hTC…but perhaps I don’t wish a horrible death on you any more.

8 Lee June 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

George you are a genius! Just changed my date to August and suddenly it’s downloading the update! At bloody last!

9 olafos June 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

What I don’t get is: Why can HTC manage to distribute the two updates at once in countries with arguably less stable networks (this point to my argument is not that important), but “need” to send out the update in Europe in 2 steps weeks apart.

Maybe fewer phones distributed?

Well, I think it’s great that India etc. get the upgrade before Europe (since usually it’s expected to be the other way round), but as a European I’m kinda pissed, since we really are the last (1.5 months after the US) to get the upgrade. Why won’t they just distribute it. They are hardly still working on them, and don’t tell me about distribution problems, since they could have alotted 2 days for each region of spike downloads and do the whole thing over the course of a week.

I guess the update will arrive next week, but I won’t ever forget this disaster. Not a single thing about this update was done correctly: Keeping customers in the dark, uninformed staff, spreading hope for early releases (yes, HTC reps did this), then releasing an update in the last week of their self-set promise deadline (ranging over first half of 2010 – if you wanna release it in June, just fucking say so… there’s been a lot less uproar since June was “confirmed” and especially since the Taiwan release), no update to Froyo.

(Oh and they wanted me to send in my phone, although I sent them pictures of my discolored battery cover and although I would have been fine for just paying them the little money for a new battery cover)

So, never ever…. FUCK YOU, HTC!!

Believe that customers forget fast, all you want. I know that this isn’t true. When a friend tells me about his issues with a device/car/whatever (and it’s not just made up rumors) I stay away from that brand for some time. Point in case: Samsung, who didn’t even bother fixing major bugs for the Galaxy i7500 and just let it rot at 1.5. Even if they release a shiny new device (well, there’s the S, but I think it looks like a crappy iPhone copy), I will not consider buying it unless I hear of improvement in customer support.

AGAIN, FUCK YOU HTC. You don’t even properly apologize or give “honest” (not lies) reasons for delays and no future upgrades.

10 Lee June 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Ok well at least I’ve got part 1 now which from the sounds of things hasn’t been pushed yet in Europe. For those that aren’t sure if part 1 has been installed successfully or not you can check by going to Settings – About Phone – If you have a System Software Update option then you’ve received and installed part 1 successfully.

11 Lee June 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Chill out Olafos, it’s only a phone and give some credit to HTC for supplying an update at all. It’s not really in their interest to keep everyone on a phone which has since been replaced. They only really make money from selling new handsets.

My guess is that the reason for the staggered updates is something to do with how the phones check for updates. The Hero, not sure about other HTC’s, only checks once in 14 days. So the argument that 2 days is enough to deal with spikes won’t stand.

Why Europe is left till last…well biggest market first, US…they always get everything first so no surprises there, then home market, they are an Asian company so you can possibly give some support to that argument too.

As George highlighted above, go to your date control and change it by a month. You’ll receive the first part of the update. This put my frustration to rest even though it’s not full Eclair. Guess the rest will follow in a week or two.

12 olafos June 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Do you think I’m some kind of noob? I got the first part on June 15th. That doesn’t put anything to rest though.

It’s not about the update arriving or not, it was pretty obvious that it’s coming after they promised it on their website for the mobile world blabla conference in Barcelona.

It’s about HTC as a company, and many others who don’t properly communicate with their costumers. I’m pretty sure they knew, from the start, that they will update not some time in 1H2010 but at the latest possible point in time. But they always kept information back from us.

I’ve been posting a lot in this blog (under different names at times) and always said: If HTC had said in December “We will release an update on June 29th” I would have said “Great news. I can wait until then.”, but always delaying it and giving bogus reasons for it and thus showing how incapable they are at end-user service and distribution… makes me puke.

To your argument about them wanting to make money from selling handsets… well, that’s the business model prior to the iPhone and Nexus One.

Since there ARE alternative end-user providers of handsets (for Nexus One, Google even if the hardware is by HTC) they won’t directly sell me a handset anymore, and there are many others who get pissed. Who will be left? Those non-techy users who don’t care about updates. Well, there’s the problem. What is Android and why is it successful? Because it is a more open alternative to the iPhone etc. and quite some percentage of the current sales goes to tech-savy customers. If HTC doesn’t want them, fine. You seem to agree. IF they keep on doing this shit they’ll soon turn to a mere supplier OEM for Google.

13 orangepin June 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM

[Chill out Olafos, it’s only a phone and give some credit to HTC for supplying an update at all. It’s not really in their interest to keep everyone on a phone which has since been replaced. ]

@Lee: Wow, the audacity! IF they had supplied an update to 1.6 or 2.0 or 2.1 when those versions were actually new they would have supplied an update to a phone THAT HAS NOT YET BEEN REPLACED. It’s only the case now, that they provide an update to a “phone which has since been replaced”, because they delayed until the device became obsolete.

14 Jan June 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM

@ George:
Could you please write some details, lists of (cons + pros), experience about the part 2 (2.1)?
How does the update affect the phone, memory,…bla bla… short quick review, please :)

I agree with olafos and orangepin, @Lee it is not just about that HTC is doing their business just for money (honestly, I do not care, what they do..), IMHO they primarily should take care of the customers, we are the one, (customers) who will bring them the money and potential buyers by recommending their products, ….to be true, I would not recommend HTC, anymore!

Sorry HTC, ..maybe you are making great products, but please remember, the case called “HTC Hero” will be your nightmare forever…. end of my story.

15 Brian Morrison June 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM

There’s no question in my mind that an official statement on HTC’s web site about these updates should have been made at the earliest opportunity, and it should have been updated as the changes (update to 2.0, then 2.1, then very delayed) happened.

Companies need to realise that they can engender immense loyalty by keeping customers on side, we buy their products because we appreciate their features and advantages and there are other companies that also produce similar products. In today’s interconnected world, information, and irritation spreads very rapidly and HTC needs to understand this properly.

16 George June 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM

@Jan
To be honest, I have not noticed a huge difference. I have not had the update long enough to see anything drastic regarding battery drain, memory usage etc. The following is what I have found to be different:
1. Reduced lag in certain areas, especially the virtual keyboard and home screens. Depends on the amount and type of widgets on each page, of course.
2. New and updated widgets – from hTC and Android apps that were not available before the update.
3. Tap focus and zoom with camera
4. More consolidated email app imaginatively called “Mail.”
5. “Mobile network” always connect immediately upon enabling (so far). I used to have to go into settings and search for operator before the phone would connect.
6. User interface improvements so many things look slicker and less 2009 (ha ha).
7. Text-to-speech feature (enabled but not used yet).
8. Turn by turn directions in google maps (although it’s just called maps here).
9. Android Market has a different interface and some apps that were not available on 1.5

That’s all I can think of at the moment. Not very technical but that’s because I have not noticed a huge performance impact, good or bad, since the update.

As an IT professional of more than 10 years, my opinion is that It seems to be slicker, prettier and work “better.” How’s that for scientific and technical? :D

Ask me again after the “honeymoon period” is over.

G

17 Jan June 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Thanks a lot George, this was a comprehensive information.

Much appreciated your effort. Thank you very much!

I just wanted to know the user experience, that was all.

P.S. If there’s anybody else who can bring his point of view, do not hesitate to inform us. :)

18 Jan June 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Some more evidence, that the 2.1 second package (75MB) is real deal:

Picture as a proof:

More discussion about the update:

19 Brian Morrison June 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM

It seems that the second part of the upgrade has also been released in India.

Just what is it that is holding up the European release?

20 David Nash June 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Still not got the 1st update here in UK (Orange). Who has it here? I’m getting tempted to go “unofficial”.

21 Jonathan June 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I have the white GSM HTC Hero and I’m from Los Angeles in the US.

Ive tried changing the whole changing the date and reseting the phone maybe about 2 weeks ago but to no avail.

While reading this post by htcheroblog i decided to try again and switched date to August 27, 2010 and immediately received the 1st update. After downloading the ~4 mb file and installing, the 2nd update notification appeared. Currently, downloading the 83.8 mb update and hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Only one thing to say about this. “It’s about time, HTC!!!”

For those who have tried the date change before, I say give it another try. It worked for me and I’m all the way in the States. Goodluck everyone.

22 Rajpal June 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Is your htc hero european? I tried it didnt work even tried settins about phone and checked with the software update and it said im up to date…

23 Russell June 28, 2010 at 4:42 AM

I’ve still not got the part one of the update, I’m on Orange UK. This is a complete joke! I’ve phoned Orange and asked their “technical” support why I haven’t received the update yet and they said they didn’t know anything about an update! I even asked the so-called “manager” in the dept. he didn’t know either!

Surely, if you update all European handsets, they should really be done at the same time?! I love Google Android but this is pointing me more and more towards to iPhone…

24 Chris June 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM

@ Russell Orange are sitting on the update while they “test” it. I was in the same boat, got bored debranded my phone, now I will get the updates as HTC release them no provider lag.

How I did it:

That said, I was in an Apple store at the weekend who had some 4′s left. If I hadn’t been in a hurry I would probably be holding an iPhone now….

25 Dracue June 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Hey guys

I’m also awaiting the first update and have tried the date change loads of time although I am running a ROM on my unlocked phone with O2.

Any ideas on how to get the update here?

Thanks

D

26 Brian Morrison June 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM

@Dracue

What version of ROM do you have at present? Mine (SIM free Hero, used on O2) updated fine after changing date to mid July, I had 2.73.405.5 and now have 2.75.405.93.

Some people have reported needing to change their dates to 2011 though, I don’t know why it needs to be such a large change.

27 Dracue June 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM

@Brian Morrison

Am on a MoDaCo 3.0 Rom and the Kernel 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-10.9 if that means anything?

Thanks

D

28 astro June 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM

In India….got the 1st FOTA pkg today, had to reset the phone, rebooted and got prompted for the update about 4.17 MB in size. You get an option under About Phone -> System Software Updates. I’ve tried that multiple times, reset the phone again, advanced the date, but have not received 2nd pkg as yet.

29 Alan June 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I contacted T-Mobile (UK) via twitter, and asked them what was going on since HTC had claimed that the Hero would be 2.1 by the end of June, T-Mobile had told me they’d release 2.1 at the same time as HTC and that June was almost over.

Got a quick reply ( as usual, can’t fault them on their Twitter customer service ! )

“Hi, we still have not received any more information on this as yet, sorry :-(

30 Vlad June 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM

It’s here! 2.1 update arrived to me in Swiss. Thought no info on htc support site, that it has been finally released.

31 Jan June 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Yeah,

Czech Republic has it also.

Downloading… finally!

32 David Hewson June 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM

It’s in UK too, change date as with the other update and it comes :) !! 2.1 2nd update

33 Martin June 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Currently installing the 2nd (Android 2.1!) update in Denmark. I just checked manually for updates (possible after receiving the 1st update)…

34 Jamie C June 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I’m in UK and have the T-Mobile G2 Touch, got the 1st update by changing the date back but just tried changing the date back and also manually checking but still no updates :(

35 PG June 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Slovakia downloading :D

36 Someone June 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM

It’s also downloading in Slovenia :D

37 Martin June 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Now running firmware version 3.32.405.1 (Android 2.1-update1), up from 2.73.405.93 (Android 1.5). The update took about 15 minutes to install.

38 olafos June 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

downloading 2.1 germany

39 PG June 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Just one hint YOU NEED MORE THEN 25MB FREE to apply the update !!!

40 Krta June 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Serbia too!!!

41 Hero June 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Great news,, we’ve just put a quick post on this here!

42 Brian Morrison June 28, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Right, just cleaned out some apps to get up to 27MB free, told the Hero to check for the update and it immediately offered it to me.

I’ve told it to wait until I have WiFi connected at home, so a bit later tonight we’ll see how it goes.

BTW @Dracue, if you’ve rooted your phone you won’t get the offer to update because your ROM revision is incorrect as far as the updater is concerned.

43 Dominik Kowalski June 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Arrived at Poland to! (3.32.405.1 78,88 MB in size!) great news to everyone!

44 Andy June 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Nothing on T-Mobile UK yet :(

45 alastair brown June 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

my phone says update aborted after 1st update :( heeeelllppp

46 Kasper Engberg June 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM

It works in Denmark, just jumped forward a month, and bam there it came – installed and working.

47 matija June 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM

can someone please explain how you are downloading these updates? where do you download them from? phone or pc? i can’t find an update option on my phone

48 maja June 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

finally,great,beautiful…Croatia

49 n0de July 2, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Just changed my date forward a year, bang … update pops up
looks like they are rolling start these updates to help bandwidth/support calls to HTC…

try changing your date forward a year!

oh, …im in NZ with a year old unlocked phone.

50 Rahul July 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I have purchased HTC Hero from Bankok. But I myself am from Pune,India. I have not recieved any notification for Android 2.1 update. I want to update my Android 1.1 to 2.1

Can anyone suggest me what can i do.?? How can i download it over internet.

Please help me with the same.

51 david July 4, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Not in Italy… Where did u get it, on the support section of the website? it’s not there….:(

52 Andy Brook July 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Eclair was made available in UK over the weekend, its a lot snappier but oh wait, the wireless access still sucks – http redirects which are very common for public WIFI access _still_ fails. OMG (reaches for iPhone…..)

53 Jack July 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM

This is pathetic now T-Mobile, it has been at least 10 days since every other network have been given access to the update of 2.1, yet I have gone through changing the date etc. AND no. nothing. Could anyone please give me a date or an estimated time of delivery for all of us T-Mobile users using the HTC Hero? Many thanks.

54 Peter July 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM

@Jack
Nobody knows since they pull it of the release because some people got stuck with triangle warning message and been unable to go back on it. T-Mobile is very bad on staying in touch with customers.

55 Jack July 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM

@Peter
Oh ok, thanks for the update :) just keep trying and be patient I guess…

56 Rezol August 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM

@n0de
I frickin’ love you, stranger! I’ve been looking for a way to get the update for a couple of weeks and all I had to do was this!