Confirmed: Sprint HTC Hero not getting Android 2.2

by Hero on June 25, 2010

Sprint AndroidSprint today confirmed that the Sprint HTC Hero will not be getting the Android 2.2 (Froyo) update later in the year. Only newly released handsets such as the HTC EVO 4G will be getting the Froyo update.

Whilst the news is hardly surprising, it probably doesn’t give much confidence that a phone less than a year old has already been abandoned. However, given how long it has taken HTC to deliver the Android 2.1 update, it could be a long wait before Android 2.2 turns up. I imagine that given this news, HTC is unlikely to provide a v2.2 update for GSM HTC Hero’s either.

Sprint blog post:

Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in near future

As work on finalizing the software is under way, Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in the near future.

Sorry for any confusion created when we initially made this announcement. HTC EVO 4G will receive the 2.2 update, Samsung Moment and HTC Hero will not. Future devices launching with 2.1 also will be updated to 2.2

With the Android 2.2 upgrade, customers can expect improvements to include the following benefits: updates to user interface, improved EAS Support, improved browser performance, including Flash 10x Support, voice dialling over Bluetooth and application storage on external memory.

1 MeanEYE June 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

CyanogenMod here I come.

But it’s stupid if you ask me. I do realize that providing support for 2.2 on Hero will only cost them money. Why don’t they offer the upgrade for money. I’d be more than happy to pay for upgrade to 2.2. That way they don’t loose money and us, the users, get to be happy again.

Someone needs a lesson in HTC… :/

2 kash June 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM

MeanEYE…yes ur correct ….

3 James June 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I would be willing to pay for a true update! But on the other hand they are still selling the phone so they should put out an update! If anything they should just port over 2.2 with out sence ui over top of it. That way they dont have to do as much work and they can leave it to the devs all over the world to add what ever they want.

I see this as bad news! Android 2.2 is something that adds a lot of speed to the phones I have seen it on (Droid / N1). I was hoping for a update.

4 Foxman June 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Why yes, they COULD charge you for an update, but they would have to actually make the update, using manpower and time. And since they use that manpower and time to pop out new phones, and they charge you for these new phones, and these new phones cost significantly more than an update would… you see where I’m going? I still think they should support a phone they are still selling with two year contacts, but obviously, they disagree. I would be willing to shell out a few bucks for an official 2.2 since I won’t part with my Hero just yet, but it’s just not going to happen.

5 Jan June 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM

@James @Foxman
100% agree!

The pay for a 2.2 is a very good idea. I would be also willing to buy the true update.

HTC, what do you say for this? :)

If not, CyanogenMod will solve it :)

6 Victor Santos June 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM

HTC Hero is my first and my last Android device. When I bought the Hero I thought it was free because Android is free but I’m stuck with HTC because HTC decides whether or not I can upgrade my device. I don’t know how Android works but I think that HTC can give Android source code without Sense UI working with Hero and a group or someone will try to release next versions of Android getting necessary information on HTC source code.

7 Tom June 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

2.2+ updates lol? Nah, just a joke …..

8 Alan Down June 28, 2010 at 5:49 PM

2.1 is out in the UK for Hero …. installing now…

9 Duane June 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM

So let me get this straight. I signed a 2 year contract with Sprint to get a subsided price on a Hero in October ’09 and HTC decides to stop providing updates to the phone less than 9 months later leaving no way to update for the remaining 16 months unless I jailbreak… Wow don’t I feel like a sucker. Can’t imagine why people hate cell phone companies and carriers.

10 Guy Mason June 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I agree, what is my motivation to stay with Sprint? October ’09 and now no support? I’d better get one big @#$% discount when (if) I upgrade.

11 Sam July 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM

No froyo for us what a surprise!!!!!! HTC gave us 2.1 after a long painfull time so people do really think that they will even think in making froyo for hero actually i don’t think so but i woukd like to say that htc should pay some to chefs that making roms cause with out them people like will never buy a phone from a company like this………..

12 Grrrrr July 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Well, if there is a class action lawsuit that will be started for this crap that these companies pull, I’ll sign up.

13 Kevin July 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Sprint just lost a customer. As soon as the next generation of iphone4g’s hit the market I will be leaving sprint.

14 BillyB July 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

We should start a class action lawsuit. The phone sucks with 1.5, 2.1 and now we can’t get 2.2. The hero is a defective phone and Sprint is doing exactly what Apple is doing…Avoiding the reality that this phone is horrible. No blue tooth support, turns of and on by itself…Battery life, dropped calls, I can go on and on. I just may cancel and not pay an etf…

We should sue.

15 BillyB July 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I buy this f**king phone in April and find out that it can’t be upgraded…Same old Sprint.

16 G Zero July 15, 2010 at 3:35 AM

I was just about to jump (with my family of 4) from AT&T to get a Hero but since Android 2.2 won’t be available for it, I’m not going to. I was having doubts anyway due to Sprint using that crappy CDMA but this is the decider.
Pffft!

17 Miami Heat 2010 September 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM

this is bullshit… i can’t believe there just gonna abandon this phone its not even that bad the least they can do for us is make an update for it, i’m not saying it has to be as advance but they should make something different for it and fix all the crap ass lag it brings in the 2.1… i just don’t understand why the hero can’t have a 2.2 update of its own then.

18 allen September 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM

This isn’t true. I just got the 2.2 update for my Hero last week.

19 charmov September 17, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Hey allen, where’d you get the update?

20 drock September 29, 2010 at 3:22 AM

I think we should all file a class action suit with sprint and HTC but how? Email me dfountain99@gmail.com what there doing is not right.

21 Talal September 30, 2010 at 2:14 AM

They should make cyanogenmod the official family.

22 Frank October 1, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Good thing I have been sticking with the iPhone, don’t need to deal with this shit.

23 electriophile December 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

True Android users root.

So quit your bitching.

24 H December 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I have already rooted my phone up two levels to gingerbread on my Sprint Hero. It runs way better than stock 2.1 that SPRINT left us with.

25 scoop March 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM

It’s simple as this. HTC are a bunch of rip off cunts!! Super harsh but true. I have contacted them over and over and get automated responses then they think I’m going to fill out a survey saying how great they are. Everything coming out is for 2.2. The phones just over a year old and its a conspiracy. One pissed off g2 hero owner.

26 scoop March 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM

To all the people who think there clever by saying root it. On T mobile contract phones they have a lock in place and it don’t let you do it. So try again. It’s a simple as this g2 hero customers have been mugged off by HTC.

27 phillip ordonez May 10, 2011 at 1:21 AM

FUCK HTC HERO!!!!! 4th replacement phone … I hope who ever created this phone falls on there naked ass with this phone sitting sideways !!! Sprint is even more at fault with KNOWINGLY selling there customers a peace of shit phone!!!