Android Gingerbread details leak: 1280×760 support, revamped UI

by Hero on June 30, 2010

in Firmware

Android GingerbreadThe first details of Android’s next major revamp, codenamed Gingerbread, has reportedly been leaked by Eldar Murtazin of Mobile-Review.com fame. He revealed some juicy details in a Russian podcast. None of this can be verified as we don’t speak Russian, so we’ll have to trust unwiredview on this one!

They say that Android Gingerbread will be targeted at high-end devices and will therefore have a number of minimum specs. This includes a 1GHZ CPU, 512MB or RAM and a display larger than 3.5-inches. Interestingly, a new 1280×760 pixel resolution will also be supported for devices larger than 4-inches. It will also come with a completely revamped user interface. The arrival of Gingerbread should also mean the end of customised UI skins like HTC Sense. Apparently, Gingerbread will launch in mid-October and the first handsets shipping with the new OS will appear in November/December. Just in time to retire the HTC Hero…

1 Anthony June 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

And look at us with exactly half of Android 3.0

2 Foxman June 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I know this is all speculation at this time, but if Gingerbread is for high end devices, what about the lower end? Surely, they don’t want to make separate versions. Or will the 1GHz / 512MB / 3.5inch be the new low end? I don’t know. I know there’ll be new flagship devices every 2-3 months, but there is always a definite need for cheaper phones. Not everyone wants a beast of an Android phone (both in size and features).

As for the custom UI, I like Sense, but damn if it doesn’t add a lot of delay to the update process! Since Google hired the that UI guy from Palm a little while ago we can expect to have a better stock UI. I don’t know if they really do it, but if they decide to get rid of customized UIs and it speeds up updating, I won’t shed many tears.

P.s.: Yep, the holiday season definitely seems like a good time to snag a sweet deal for a new phone. Until then, the fresh 2.1 update will serve me well, my Hero feels like a new phone since Monday! :)

3 Hero June 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

According to the article, there will be an element of fragmentation with new lower end devices remaining on Android 2.1/2.2.

4 Foxman June 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM

@Hero

No… No. NO!!! Google denies claims of fragmentation and now they will endorse it?!?

5 codehead June 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Sense and the other custom UIs are all well and good, but as a developer they are a nightmare. The fragmentation becomes even more of an issue when you have non-standard UI elements and undocumented (I’m looking at you HTC) system components to deal with.

I for one will be glad to see the back of them as long as the ‘standard’ interface is well designed and provides good functionality.

6 anuliomp June 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM

@codehead:

huh? HTC don’t have undocumented system components to deal with, it’s just not public. So for hackers and rom-cooker it’s harder, but the fragmentation doesn’t become more of an issue.

BTW, don’t believe a word of the “we delayed because of SenseUI” BS. HTC know exactly where to put things, having developed the UI and proprietary library backend. It’s just because they also update their UI (i.e. changing it or adding totally new features to it) that it takes so long. Actually I would have loved my Hero with the old SenseUI but Android 2.1 subsystem/backend. Too many new bugs in the new Sense UI.

7 MeanEYE July 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM

I wouldn’t call it fragmentation either. Unless you are making application which requires feature included in newer version of Android. For example, bluetooth was introduced in versions 2.0, so any application that uses bluetooth will need to newer version of Android to run. It is possible to test whether feature is available and the use it.

There are a number of application which have bluetooth capabilities (for example) but they are still able to run on older versions of OS (with those features disabled). Just to name a few: EStrongs File Manager, Android Scripting Environment, etc.

In my opinion, fragmentation happens when developers need to make separate applications for different OS versions or to decide which version to support.

Calling it fragmentation is like making an excuse for lazy programmers.

8 MeanEYE July 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Sorry for typos :) … to early in the morning…

To summarize, I don’t think there is fragmentation. Applications can be made to run on any OS version. Just test if feature exists and then try to use it.

9 Bandroid July 1, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Sense is coherent, innovative and nice. Stocks Androids, Blur, changeable skins etc is not.

I want to keep Sense. I wish HTC will enough powerful to keep it.

10 Tom July 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM

That youtube celebrity should have one :D you know that ginger kid =))
GINGERS DO HAVE SOULS XD

11 96th July 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM

If they are gonna kill Sense etc., I want big customisation options, like dumpphone-like themes.

12 Quonith July 2, 2010 at 7:06 PM
13 Jamie July 5, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Glad thats not true then

14 mobiles July 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM

it is very standable mobiles. samsung accessories are very popular like just head phones, blutooth, lcd , mobiles, home theater etc.

mobile

15 mobile July 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

it is good to use samsung mobiles try it.
mobile

16 mobile July 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM

this is G2 touch mobile and a lots options can use.
mobile

17 cheese man July 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Ah hem……. all of this info was proven wrong by Androids founder (forget his name). He tweeted that all the info was wrong and he quoted that he loves when people make up rumours and regard it as news.

18 Debtfree July 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM