Orange UK HTC Hero owners vent anger at Android 2.1 delay

by Hero on July 24, 2010

Orange UK HTC Hero Orange UK owners of the HTC Hero have set up a group on Facebook to highlight their frustration in still not having received the Android 2.1 update. T-Mobile pushed their update over a week ago. As of writing, 596 members have joined the group and a number of letters have been written to Orange’s CEO to highlight their concern.

The group is called “Orange UK – Give HTC Hero owners the 2.1 Update – NOW“. The group’s founder, Geoffrey Mansfield, says that Orange UK Customer Service department will not give any definitive answers to questions posed by numerous customers on various android forums. “Please use this group to register your disapproval, and I will forward the group link to Orange UK, for consideration,” he goes on to say. Have you been affected? If so, you may as well join the group and add your voice. Whether Orange will bring the update any quicker is another story.

1 sLyX July 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM

HTC Hero was my first HTC oboje and the last one aswell. Delay in pushing hero update s just unbelivable. And you can be pretty shure that is going to happend again with desire and every future model. I bought an iPhone and I’m very happy with my choice. Cu

2 markie July 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I don’t know why people keep saying the G2 has had the 2.1 update when I know of 3 people personally who haven’t even had the 1st update yet. One of them was one of the fort ones to get a G2 when it was released.

3 sharon July 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM

If you take longer than T-Mobile, then you know ur doin it rong…

4 bigears July 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM

orange orange where for out thou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Dave July 24, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Markie, not sure about this but I suspect that unless you upgrade to there November 1.5 android update that you won’t get the OTA updates. I had to upgrade to this using the HTC sync then the OTA worked.

6 Mark July 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Markie : the fairly straightforward answer as to why people are saying the G2 has had the 2.1 update is, well, because it’s had the 2.1 update. As Dave said, there are some people who Started on the wrong rom who won’t have had any Updates yet, but they’re in the minority. Regardless of that, it seems a bit naive to think that because you know some people who haven’t had it, it therefore follows that no-one has.

7 Geoff Mansfield July 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM

It was me who initiated the facebook campaign, Thank you for highlighting our concerns. If you have a branded HTC hero on Orange 1.5 join us on facebook.
It’s not only missing update to 2.1, it’s the lack of any information or implementation plan from Orange.

8 Geoff Mansfield July 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Sorry, I missed the link to our facebook wall. You can join here

9 ryan July 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM

GOLDCARD

10 Tomi July 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Annoying orange…

11 Chris July 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM

@ryan: I tried the gold card (and was one of the 1st) when the 1st update came out. How ever once the 2.1 released it exposed a bug that causes the SIM lock to kick in even hough there is an orange SIM in the phone. So now I am back on Orange 1.5 and waiting. Some people have had success with the gold card but a lot have had the sim bug.

12 Stu Alsford July 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Part 1 release now for Orange UK

13 Toby July 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM

C’mon HTC Hero Blog – Orange just released Android 2.1 part 1 today and you haven’t covered it yet!? This is breaking news, you should be on this!

14 DG July 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM

FWIW
Just got some kind of update – it said it was a YouTube update download. Anyway, I installed it and the only change I can find is an option to check for software updates in the About Phone menu. I checked for updates but it said it is up to date. Firmware is still 1.5
Is this part 1 maybe??

15 Tomas July 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I got the 2.1 update a couple of weeks ago (Sweden) and now my phone reboots after using ANY GPS program for more than 10 minutes. I have random freezes and spontaneous reboots every time an app start up the GPS.

Is there a way to downgrade to 1.6? I have found nothing better with 2.1.

16 Phil July 27, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Tomas, the Hero never had 1.6…. It was always 1.5.

Just installing 2.1 – set date to August and it started… On Orange in UK.

17 shak July 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM

receiving the first update now!!

18 Wayne July 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Got first part of rom update which suddenly appeared on screen.Followed promps and installed first part. Phone rebooted. Looked at settings/about.I found new option (check for software update) that was never there before. That was 20 min download via wi fi which gave me andriod 2.1.Lost no apps/settings/call history/text messages. No lag now and sat nav. orange branded phone on contract.was free upgrade in May this year. No one else i know with a hero has software upgrade? Happed on July 27 12.30pm ish. Strange. Anyone eles got full update or was i a test case?

19 Chris P August 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

hey guys, i’m having all sorts of problems here (probably through ignorance)
since having my phone (which was about september last year) i’ve had no notifications of upgrades or anything so i’m still on 1.5 with the oldest ROM version. up until now i haven’t been too fussed but the amount of apps that need 2.1 now is getting really annoying.
Can someone give me a quick step by step on how i can get up to date?
Email big.ole.pirate@googlemail.com if you can :D

20 Amit August 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Still waiting for the full Android 2.1 update (received Part 1 a few weeks ago)…Anyone else waiting…i’ve got the Hero on Orange.

21 Abid Abbas October 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM

We are waiting for updates from htc hero
(Orange). Thank you.

22 candark October 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM

ORANGE UNLOCK ALL PHONE :) )
THE CRACKET BOOTLOAD FORMAT , ROOM İNSTALL

23 mersin temizlik firmaları May 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM

thanks mersin ..

24 mersin temizlik şirketleri May 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

mersin temizlik şirketleri . .

25 mersin temizlik hizmetleri May 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM

mersin temizlik hizmetleri ..