Orange UK pushing preparatory Éclair update for HTC Hero

by Hero on July 26, 2010

Orange UK pushing preparatory Éclair update for HTC HeroAndroid 2.1 may finally be hitting Orange HTC Hero users very soon as the preliminary update is rolling out to all handsets as we speak. This follows many angry Orange customers complaining about how long this update has taken.

This preliminary update basically gets the Hero ready to receive the full Android 2.1 firmware. We don’t know when the latter part of the update will come through, however sit tight, it can’t be too long now.

1 Pissed off July 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM

About time Orange!

2 Rusty July 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I got fed up of waiting and rooted mine! Running VillianRom’s Froyo (2.2) now! Working like a dream!

3 bigears July 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

waiting……………………………………………………

4 Majhaar July 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM

just moved the date on my Orange Hero to August 26th 2010 and it has installed the first part of the update.

hope we’re not kept waiting for the 2nd part for too long

MJ

5 Joff July 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM

My Hero became almost unusable last week, being unresponsive when making/receiving calls, using apps, etc, so I gave up waiting for Orange and rooted it (using a VillainRom kitchen rom). I can’t believe I didn’t do this sooner – now the Hero just flies along.

I’m sure Orange have their reasons for delaying the release of Eclair but I’m not sure I can see any reason not to root.

6 Phil July 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Joff – you should check the amount of system memory available. If this becomes too low then the phone will grind to a halt.. I had this happen once, then installed the intermediary update from Orange and my phone has been good ever since. Admittedly I don’t install a great number of apps, but most were installed and then not really used anyway.

On Orange, set date to Aug and update is being installed… Just hope it doesn’t remove all of my contacts…

7 Phil July 27, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Preparatory installed…

Firmware still 1.5

Baseband version : 63.18.55.06jU_6.35.08.29

Kernel version : 2.6.27-430d1aea

Build # 2.73.61.92 CL#155530 release-keys

Software version : 1.0.0.A6288

8 bigears July 27, 2010 at 9:02 AM

did the date trick and got the preliminary update

just got the long wait for the main event………..

9 roose21 July 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Rahahahaha…. can’t believe there are still people out there waiting for 2.1!? I got fed up and rooted, now running Froydvillain 1.1.1. Froyo is amazing! If you want Sense UI then get villainRom12 which runs 2.1. Hurry up and riot your phone people!

10 Amit July 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Hi guys,

If you root your phone (which sounds very tempting) does it not void your Orange insurance/warranty ??

11 Jack July 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Any news on 3UK? Anyone got the update?

12 Anthony July 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM

@Amit

Yes it would. But who would know if it fell down the toilet or got run over by a car? Accidentally of course ;-)

13 Amit July 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Woo hoo…finally received the preliminary update yesterday.

14 Amit August 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Would be interested to hear if anyone else having this problem or any other problems since getting the ‘pre-update’ !?

I’m getting a ‘force close’ error which only goes from switching the phone off and on.

15 bigears August 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM

well we now have android 2.1 on our lovely Hero’s but with all the talk about 2.2 being released will we see on the Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 Amit September 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Very annoyed….I am still waiting for the friggin update to 2.1….on the phone to them now

17 Unlocked GSM phones, cheap gms mobiles by GSM Nation September 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

also here…still waiting=)

18 wholesale chinese mobile phones November 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Would be interested to hear if anyone else wholesale chinese mobile phones having this problem or any other problems since getting the ‘pre-update’ !?