Official: Orange HTC Hero Éclair update landing next week

by Hero on July 27, 2010

in Firmware, News

OrangeOrange has given official word that the Android 2.1 HTC Hero update will be landing for its customers from the beginning of next week. The company apologised for the delay and said that testing had taken longer than anticipated. We started to see the preparatory update hit Orange phones yesterday. See the official statement from Orange below:

“We apologise for the delay in Orange Hero customers receiving their Éclair update. Testing the update across European markets took longer than anticipated. However, we hope to receive final approval by the end of the week and Orange handsets should start updating from next week.”

Update: A point of clarification. As pointed out in the comments, this statement is from HTC and not Orange. Either way, the Android 2.1 update should be hitting Orange HTC Hero handsets next week.

1 Rob July 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Any news about 3 (3UK) for the Android 2.1 HTC Hero update

2 Dan July 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Take note: “‘should’ start updating”

3 phil July 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Orange EUROPE … this means for Belgium to ?

4 David July 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Just had a look on the Orange news site…you guys have it wrong, this is an apology/update from HTC not Orange…

Orange.co.uk/newsroom

5 Braidy Johnson July 28, 2010 at 1:27 AM

^^^^^^ yep he’s definatly right the statements from HTC not orange … but who cares! WE’RE GETTING THE UPDATE! lol

6 Stu Alsford July 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM

it is avaliable to download now. (part 2!)!!!

7 Hero July 28, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Are you sure Stu? Let is know if it comes through and is indeed 2.1!

8 James July 28, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Its definitely here!!! system settings and check for update. mine is downloading as I type!!

9 Stu Alsford July 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I’m sure. I am running it now :P

10 MattB July 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Just checked for System software update and BINGO! its there.

Before I rush in, can someone verify that this update doesn’t wipe all the data from my phone please (sms, contacts, music, apps etc…) If it does remove them whats the best way to back them up before the update?

Also I’m running Copilot Maps, and I know that Google Sat Nav should be with 2.1, but will I lose Copilot Maps by going to 2.1, I did read somewhere that Copilot is not supported by 2.1.

Now will the upgrade to 2.1 be worth the wait????

11 Stu Alsford July 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM

it kept all my contacts, messages, music and apps. but I backed up with my backup first just in case.

I can’t comment on Co-Pilot as I have not purchased. One way to find out though!

12 MattB July 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Thanks Stu

I’ll back up, cross my fingers and click “Update”! I’ll let folks know about what happens to Copilot

13 benji-hutch July 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Android 2.1! Yes :-) I’ve found a few little bugs but other than that its super smooth :-)

14 MattB July 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Running 2.1, updating kept all my contacts, smss and apps, but cleared the display, so now putting things back how they were in 1.5. Can confirm unable to run Copilot. All seems fine, but not really sure what the big fuss has been about, I haven’t noticed any amazing differences from 1.5, it just looks at bit cleaner, and theres more 2.1 apps available.

15 HTC August 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM

it kept all my contacts, messagesand apps. but I backed up with my backup first just in case.

16 Amit September 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Hurrayyyyyyyyyyy…finally running on Android 2.1 !!! It kept my contacts but i lost all my messages and apps. My apps i got back easily as i had Appsbrain sync on my apps and in a touch of a button you can install all previously downloaded apps – pretty cool stuff !

17 Rhys September 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Absolute B*locks! Where is the 2.1 update? I put an update on 2 weeks ago that was suposed to be the first half update. Since then I have been waiting for this OTA update part 2 which just isn’t arriving! Ive had the phone a year and am only now getting some news that the updates are available. The updates are far from available for Orange Hero UK Customers!

18 Abid Abbas October 3, 2010 at 6:53 PM

We are waiting for the updates of andriod 2.1 for htc hero of Orange UK. When I expect to get the updates for my mobile.