Orange Éclair HTC Hero update rolling out now!

by Hero on July 28, 2010

in Firmware

Orange Éclair HTC Hero update rolling out nowOkay, the official HTC statement from yesterday suggested that Orange users will see the Android 2.1 update from next week. However, it seems they’ve got over all of there QA issues and the final Android 2.1 update is rolling out as we speak. Check your phone for the update now.

Thanks Stu!

1 Zaid July 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Oh finally guys you will get it, lucky us in t-mobile (no thanks to them), we got it few weeks before!
However I want you to check something after u do the update, did you get the voice command, live wallpaper and few other things, I just want check if t-mobile or htc is the one who actually remove it from the update!
Thanks

2 imperticus July 28, 2010 at 11:30 AM

looks us its only us 3 users who are still impatiently waiting for the update. it takes them over a month just to add a 3 bookmark?

3 Stu Alsford July 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Go me!

No live wallpapers, voice command etc. They were removed from all Offical HTC hero 2.1 updates due to performance concerns – lame!

Stu

4 Zaid July 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM

@Stu mate its running very nice and smooth in all the unofficial ones, thats what I dont understand .. last time buying a branded phone, from now on SIM Free

5 Stu Alsford July 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Yup, but for some reason HTC didn’t want to put it on. I suspect they had they’re reasons – maybe that is part of the big delay – they wanted to provide it to start with but they did not like any possible performance hits.

I’m happy I finally have the update, been a long time coming, but at least they tested it I guess. I think next time I will just do a bit more research into what is going to be on and the likely hood of future updates.

6 Warren July 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM

By voice command do you mean the voice search that appears on google search as i’ve now got that. No friend stream or google earth though, and no live wallpapers.

7 Mark July 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Too little to late, I have ordered an iphone from apple. waiting for this update to come has been a total joke

8 ant July 29, 2010 at 8:25 AM

@Mark – poor you diddums. hope you enjoy spending money on your iphone.

I myself upgraded my more than adequate HTC Hero (Orange) last night with the 2.1 upgrade and am pretty damn pleased with the outcome.

9 Trev July 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM

My firmware still says 1.5 why haven’t I got the upgrade & what should ido I’ve an orange branded hero help pls

10 Trev July 29, 2010 at 8:38 AM

How do I upgrade to 2.1 for my orange hero

11 James July 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Anyone else having a problem turning the screen off from the home screen? Whenever I pressed the END CALL button in 1.5, it would turn off the screen, I cannot do that now in 2.1.

Apart from that, its running well.

12 Warren July 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM

@Trev – It sounds like you might just have part 1 update. Go to settings, then about phone and go to system update. If you don’t have the system update option in your settings then you don’t have part one and need to upgrade to the latest rom (specifically for Orange hero and ends in .66) before you recieve the updates. Hope this helps.

13 Warren July 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM

The latest rom off HTC website that is.

14 Mick July 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM

According to the following website, the branded 3UK 2.1 update is ‘imminent’

15 Braidy Johnson July 29, 2010 at 1:47 PM

hey guys, I’m just wondering, if the current rooting methods still work for the HTC hero when its running the new 2.1 Rom …. really love the update I just need the ability to install to SD card I’m running sort on internal memory lol

16 Christiaan July 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Hi, do anyone know when, any of this will come to South Africa?

17 roose21 July 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM

2.1!? Come on people… I’m running an absolutely solid build of Froyo 2.2 called FroydVillain 1.1.1. Hurry up, root your phone and see what your Hero is really capable of! Live wallpapers, voice text input, apps2sd, overclock/underclock, 3D gallery/app drawer. Plus… JIT (just in time compiler) is enabled=super fast and really slick. Wave good bye to lag.

18 Smurf August 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Hey guys go into settings i think its firmware and check for software updates if it doesnt happen automatically for you :)

19 Amit August 2, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I finally got the premilinary update end of last week, however, since updating i’m constantly getting a ‘force close’ error which only goes from switching the phone off and on.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else having this problem or any other problems since getting the ‘pre-update’ !?

20 mike August 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM

installed this update today, and it’s rubbish! htc sense is restarting every 5 minutes, it’s extremely slow and my backup pro has taken over half an hour to attempt to restore my last backup – can’t check if it’s updated for the frequency of reboots!
wtf? so much for qc.

21 Stu Alsford August 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Mike:

What si it you are trying to restroe with my backup? If you had everything there before doing the update, all you should have lost is the scene settings. This could well be why your HTC Sence is restarting every 5 mins. I had this before from going from one hero to another, and it seemed that the Mybackup with my scenes on caused a whole load of greif for HTC Sense.

Personally, I have no issues with speed at all. On the most part it seems quicker, even with using the browser etc too.

22 HTC Mobiles August 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Thanks for the update, I hope to get it soon as well.

23 Amit August 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Hi peeps.

Still not got the full 2.1 update yet, have selected ‘check now’ in the settings but no joy.

Anyone else having problems getting the full update on HTC Hero (Orange) ?

24 Amit September 13, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Hurrayyyyyyyyyyy…finally running on Android 2.1 !!!

25 ali November 17, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Guys i have updated my hero , its version says 2.1 update 1 . I have tried alot many times “check now” but its of no use ….
What should i do to complete its update .
Em using orange brand .
Kindly help me out guys…