Three finally rolling out Android 2.1 update for HTC Hero users

by Hero on August 24, 2010

in Firmware

ThreeIt’s taken a while, but Three UK finally started to roll out the Android 2.1 update to HTC Hero owners from last night. The update is all in one package as previously promised. If you can’t see it yet, just use the old age trick of setting your phone clock a few months into the future and you should get the update pop-up.

1 Pete August 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM

About TIme!!!, But I got sick of waiting and goldcarded it a month ago.

2 darren August 24, 2010 at 5:21 PM

AT LAST…. only 6 months behind everyone else

3 allee August 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Got it yesterday.

4 transacid August 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM

still no update in sight here. (germany / o2)

5 Robert August 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM

At last, after all the months of waiting. I just moved my date forward a month and the update popped right up.

6 Frane August 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM

neither in Croatia :(

7 J0nn0666 August 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Just put the date forward 1 month on my Hero,and the update started almost immediately.

8 John August 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I set my clock forward and found a Major bug with this OTA update.
It tells you the size of the file (67M is £5 on pay as you go) and advises you to use wifi, but.. it won’t let you exit the update messages to turn wifi on!
I exited out of the update (pressed cancel) to turn wifi on. It’s now over an hour later and the update hasn’t restarted. There’s no way to manually restart it from the Hero and threes website is next to useless for phone information (unless you’re an iPhone user of course).
I’m a mac user so downloading the file from HTCs website is pointless.

9 Alarm August 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM

What about user who have bought handset independently and their operator does not push OTA update ?

10 Lateralis August 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I had same problem and i lost update pop-up 3 help support should say something and help us,we all paying and we deserve a good service othervise 3 gonna lose customers.I couldnt find in 3 website and HTC website .HELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

(John August 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM
I set my clock forward and found a Major bug with this OTA update.
I’m a mac user so downloading the file from HTCs website is pointless.
If you’re waiting for the update, turn your wifi on now and leave it on until the update arrives..)

11 steve August 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I had to cancel my initial update message as I didn’t have enough room on my phone for the update, went to apps manager and deleted some stuff then had to turn my phone off and back on for the update to pop up. Hope that helps someone!

12 ilan August 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

downloaded 2.1 onto htc hero on 3 about two hours ago, and so far so good. looks v nice. speed seems good. im reading about the new apps and things available, but would love to hear your best of 2.1 ….

13 Mike August 27, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Sorry to say this here, but I got my update1 for 2.1 last night here in Sweden. Have had 2.1 for a few months and it is working great but worked even better after a factory reset.

14 david August 28, 2010 at 11:34 PM

We still don’t hace The update in Spain…anybody knows something?

15 Alan August 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Not related to Three, but update related anyway …

I’m on T-Mobile, and got sick of waiting for the update so I goldcarded mine. So now I’m running the official HTC 2.1 ROM.

My phone told me on Saturday that there was an update available … approx 5mb in size.

I have no idea what it is, but accepted it anyway. It downloaded OK, installed OK and my phone rebooted OK.. all appears to work as normal.

Any idea what this was and what it included?

My phone now says:

Firmware version …. 2.1-update1
Kernal version … 2.6.29-063c4d24
Build number … 3.32.405.2 CL191507

16 Bruce Taylor August 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Thanks this was really helpful. I received the update notification yesterday but wasn’t ready to initiate it. I backed out of it expecting to pick up the update when I was ready to do it but couldn’t get the notification to come up again later on! Very frustrating. Found this article – changed the date on my phone – the notification popped up straight away. Thanks!

17 Tomi August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Amen.

18 accessoires iphone 3g September 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

good

19 ashley November 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM

i am looking to buy a htc hero i really like the hero but dont know where to get them without them being out of stock

20 Nick Hurst September 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I got this a few weeks back as didn’t do the update when it first came out. Has anyone else found it’s really killed their phone? Mines shockingly slow…

21 Jothi June 14, 2013 at 7:30 AM

That’s really cool indeed…